Does it matter if you are late to your check-in window?

Jlk88

This is my first cruise since Carnival started assigning check-in windows, and the first time I am driving to port. I selected a 12-12:30 window and we are sailing from Jacksonville. If all goes well on our road trip and we make it all the way to Jax the night before (instead of stopping 1-2 hours shy, we have little kids) we are considering spending the morning at the Jacksonville Zoo 10 min away. 9am-12pm is probably plenty of time for the zoo, but if we end up not getting to port until 1 or so, are there any reprocussions?

When I cruised on the Vista, I missed my check-in window by five minutes.  I had to go to a line that was for people who arrived earlier than their check in window or later than their check in window.  It really didn't make much difference though.  It probably added about 10 more minutes to my check-in time.  

When I cruised on the Carnival Pride, I arrived before my check-in window and was able to go through the regular line with no problem.  I am not sure if it's different for each ship or if the Vista was more strict with the rules.  I really don't think it will be a problem at all, no matter what, if you arrive at 1:00 pm.

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

When I cruised on the Vista, I missed my check-in window by five minutes.  I had to go to a line that was for people who arrived earlier than their check in window or later than their check in window.  It really didn't make much difference though.  It probably added about 10 more minutes to my check-in time.  

When I cruised on the Carnival Pride, I arrived before my check-in window and was able to go through the regular line with no problem.  I am not sure if it's different for each ship or if the Vista was more strict with the rules.  I really don't think it will be a problem at all, no matter what, if you arrive at 1:00 pm.

Thank you! I might be able to change it to 12:30-1 to be safe. We would like to be on board for lunch at a reasonable time, so we wouldn't be much later than that.

We love the Jacksonville zoo!  There is a LOT of walking there, so with little ones you might not last three hours.  There is a little train that circles the park with two stops.  You should definitely include that in your ticket.  What time of year are you coming?  If it is late spring/summer, it can be exhausting hot.  EM

32 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

We love the Jacksonville zoo!  There is a LOT of walking there, so with little ones you might not last three hours.  There is a little train that circles the park with two stops.  You should definitely include that in your ticket.  What time of year are you coming?  If it is late spring/summer, it can be exhausting hot.  EM

Thanks for the heads up! I will have a 3.5 yo and 11month old, so 3 hours is definitely the upper limit. We are coming the end of February! I thought it would be something fun and inexpensive to do instead of staying in our hotel room all morning. Especially if it's chilly and we can't find one with an indoor pool. I'm secretly hoping for scorching hot weather though. It's currently 21 degrees F here. We are members of our local zoo and they participate in the reciprocal zoo membership program, so we would get to go for 50% off.

glittergal1 - at 90 days out you can log in to your account and do all the preboarding check in stuff.  As part of that, you select your check in time for the port.  If you don't do it, eventually (don't know the time frame here) Carnival will do it for you.

8 hours ago, shortnspunky said:
glittergal1 - at 90 days out you can log in to your account and do all the preboarding check in stuff.  As part of that, you select your check in time for the port.  If you don't do it, eventually (don't know the time frame here) Carnival will do it for you.

We have checked in and have our boarding passes but no time is given , just the latest time we need to board by,  could  that mean we can board any time maybe because only a few hundred board in Barbados ???? or should we still have a time? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, glittergal1 said:

We board in Barbados and we haven't been given a check in time!

- should we have one ??

LOL - Boarding at Bridgetown Barbados (Carnival ship on a Wednesday?)

will be the coolest, most un-crowded boarding you'll ever do!

If it's the regular Carnival Fascination ship on the Southern Caribbean route

I've done it several times and it is a snap!

Turn up any time after around 10-10:30 and you're on

together with no more than about 30-40 cabins-worth of new ppl.

Most of the other folks who boarded at San Juan are either already ashore

or disembarking as you are boarding = an emptying ship!

We leave home around 10 or so, it's 10 mins to the Port

and are usually fully on board by about 11, and unpacking for the week!

= Easiest boarding ever!

It's very cool and laid back, no big crowds at all!

Your cabin will be ready by the time you board

because the stewards have just a few cabins to prepare for new passengers

not the entire ship

(that happens at San Juan, where boarding can and does take awhile)

Fascination.jpg

7 hours ago, glittergal1 said:

We have checked in and have our boarding passes but no time is given,

just the latest time we need to board by

could  that mean we can board any time maybe ====> Yes.

because only a few hundred board in Barbados ??====> Yes..correct

or should we still have a time? ===> Stop worrying - lol

That latest time is usually 2:30 p.m. unless they've changed things.

Ship leaves promptly at 5:00 p.m. -you can usually set your watch by it.

Fascination-833.JPG

23 hours ago, Jlk88 said:

Thanks for the heads up! I will have a 3.5 yo and 11month old, so 3 hours is definitely the upper limit. We are coming the end of February! I thought it would be something fun and inexpensive to do instead of staying in our hotel room all morning. Especially if it's chilly and we can't find one with an indoor pool. I'm secretly hoping for scorching hot weather though. It's currently 21 degrees F here. We are members of our local zoo and they participate in the reciprocal zoo membership program, so we would get to go for 50% off.

I think inside pools are not a big thing in FL.  But although it might not be as warm as you are hoping for it will be warmer than where you are!  The nice thing about visiting the zoo first is when you leave, you turn right and drive along Heckscher  Drive and will eventually come to two causeways where you can get a view of your ship.  Unfortunately, when they widened the road to four lanes they eliminated the berm where you could pull off for pictures.  But if the one riding shotgun has their camera ready...  Be sure you have your ID & boarding passes in hand for entering the port gate.  They scrutinize everything.  EM

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Aplmac said:

That latest time is usually 2:30 p.m. unless they've changed things.

Ship leaves promptly at 5:00 p.m. -you can usually set your watch by it.

Fascination-833.JPG

It does say last boarding 2pm on our documents, its nice to know we should get to board pretty quickly and be able to go to our cabins 

• Like 1