Danube water levels 2019 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Hope you are having a great time in this splendid weather. If you have got a chance would be happy to hear how things are going for you on this Northbound itinerary.

notamermaid

The weather has been great and we are having a lovely cruise so far.  We are currently docked in Linz, just outside Passau and we were told last night that will swap ships on Monday from the Modi to the Skirnir, due to low water levels between here and Regensburg.  That means tomorrow we will take a bus from the Modi (which will move to another spot near Passau tonight) and spend the full day in Regensburg, returning late in the day to pack our luggage and Monday morning we will transfer via a 2 hour bus ride to the Skirnir in Nuremberg.  

An unfortunate turn of events, but not unexpected.  Hopefully, levels will rise and allow any ships behind us to make it through.  Regardless, this Viking Cruise has been fantastic so far and I expect we will have the same great experience on the new ship.

11 hours ago, Inspirazione said:

We are scheduled to begin our cruise on the Uniworld SS Beatrice in Nuremberg on Weds 9/25.  We leave Ohio tomorrow to fly to Prague for our pre-cruise (on our own).  We just received an email tonight from Uniworld that the SS Beatrice will not arrive in Nuremberg by Weds due to low water levels.  We will be shuttled to either Regensburg or Vilshofen from the Nuremberg docking location. Hopefully we can figure out logistics so we can still explore Nuremberg before hopping on a shuttle.   This will be our first river cruise.  We knew the risks, but hoped for the best. 

There are luggage lockers available at the central (Hauptbahnhof) station in Nuremberg:

https://www.bahnhof.de/bahnhof-en/Nuernberg_Hbf-3813378

https://community.bahn.de/questions/1803511-are-there-luggage-lockers-at-nuremberg-station-and-what-are-the-sizes-and-cost-of-them

Edited by G.M.T.

32 minutes ago, slewis7 said:

The weather has been great and we are having a lovely cruise so far.  We are currently docked in Linz, just outside Passau and we were told last night that will swap ships on Monday from the Modi to the Skirnir, due to low water levels between here and Regensburg.  That means tomorrow we will take a bus from the Modi (which will move to another spot near Passau tonight) and spend the full day in Regensburg, returning late in the day to pack our luggage and Monday morning we will transfer via a 2 hour bus ride to the Skirnir in Nuremberg.  

An unfortunate turn of events, but not unexpected.  Hopefully, levels will rise and allow any ships behind us to make it through.  Regardless, this Viking Cruise has been fantastic so far and I expect we will have the same great experience on the new ship.

Linz, just outside Passau?

I think you mean Lindau, abot two miles down river from Passau.

Good morning,

Again I am the bearer of bad news, perhaps I should put on a dark coat and lower my voice.

Pfelling gauge is now at 247cm and the forecast says 240cm is possible during the night. To translate this: at 290cm the navigation channel around Pfelling is 200cm deep, that is published by the authorities like this, logically at 247cm the navigation channel would be then 157cm, but you can imagine when calculating with a bumpy river bed it does not really work like that. But it makes it clearer why that stretch cannot be sailed by many large ships.

The rain forecast still looks promising, though, good amounts tomorrow, Tuesday adequate, Wednesday much like Monday.

notamermaid

On 9/20/2019 at 10:54 PM, wanderingoz said:

Thanks to all for their contributions to this thread and particularly Notamermaid for all the wonderful information.

I have been tracking the Uniworld River Duchess from Amsterdam to Bucharest as we are scheduled to board her for the cruise back to Amsterdam from October 2.  She has been docked at Regensburg, upstream from Pfelling, for a couple of days and is now headed back upstream towards Nuremberg instead of continuing down the Danube as scheduled.

It looks to me like a ship swap has occurred with the River Princess. She was docked at Vilshofen, downstream from Pfelling, and is now back at Passau.  If anyone has any first hand info it would be appreciated.

I am guessing that even if the level at Pfelling rises next week so ships can get through, Uniworld will swap us at some stage to get the ships back on schedule.

Off to do some research on the River Princess 😃.

I too am grateful to notamermaid for all her updates as well as others who have contributed to this thread. 

Since we are literally on the same boat as wanderingoz, I have to agree we may be swapping boats somewhere along the rivers. I truly hope we get some rain for all of us that are cruising these rivers soon. 

- Rose

• Like 1

A new week on the river that will hopefully be a better one than last as regards sailing. First, a look at today. Pfelling is at 243cm. For the rest of the day this is not going to change much. It is already raining in the upper reaches of the Danube, that is where river cruise ships cannot sail. It is forecast to rain in Regensburg at lunchtime. Sounds promising.

For tomorrow there is a chance that the river level at Pfelling will reach 280cm late in the evening, indicating that 290cm might be reached during the night to Wednesday. We will know more when the new forecast is published.

notamermaid

At presnt the weather is like parcel delivery companies, delivery promised for today and then nothing arrives.

The weather in and around Passau, it's overcast skies (although that could be from the Thomas Cook fallout) BUT dry.

See what today will bring.

G.M.T.,

The Thomas Cook thing shocked me. Whatever next? Oh, yeah, Brexit! And then? Perhaps I should come over to the Oktoberfest and drown my sorrows in a Maß. Talking of beer: all the beer after having been ingested and handed over to the sewers will eventually fill the Isar, but not help the river upstream from Passau of course. Now, if Regensburg had an Oktoberfest...

notamermaid

TWe are currently sitting in Manchester Airport on our way to Budapest to join Riviera Travel cruise on Thomas Hardy and it is a very sad sight seeing half a dozen or more Thomas Cook planes lined up on the far side of the airport. 

We are cruising down to the Black Sea and back, will try and update on weather conditions downstream Wi-fi allowing! 

Edited by jo-b

59 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

jo-b,

Have a great time. Looking forward to hearing about your experience on the new-ish Thomas Hardy when you return. Perhaps in the thread on Riviera River Cruises.

notamermaid

Thomas Hardy make some fine beers:

www.thomashardysale.com/

Well, the figure at Pfelling certainly looks more agreeable this morning. 267cm. While this is not good yet it at least shows what some decent rain can do in 36 hours. The weather forecast has slightly changed. Today shows little rain - as forecast - but tomorrows anticipated amounts are now reduced. Thursday shall better cover the catchment area again with adequate amounts.

The forecast for Pfelling gauge. It has been adjusted favourably and now shows a figure of over 290cm for this evening. GOOD. But here is the caveat: the level could already peak before midnight, meaning tomorrow it will not be much higher than 300cm. I would not want to go as far as saying this is just a window of opportunity for the 135m ships but clearly more rain is needed from Donaueschingen (the "young" river) to Kelheim (where the ships coming from Nuremberg join the Danube) to keep the level over 290cm. This rain is forecast to happen on Thursday, with almost none on Friday.

If you are traveling the grand route Amsterdam to Budapest or vice versa: the Main river and the Canal at this point in time are fine due to the locks and the deep navigation channel. So is the Rhine where the Main joins. Updates on the Rhine gorge in the Rhine thread when needed. Join us there, just reading or with questions and comments. ☺️

notamermaid

Hello Notamermaid! Hallo aus Kalifornien!  I followed you last year on the Rhine and we squeaked through mid Sept. on the Viking Hild from Basel to Trier! Loved that trip! Thanks for all your wonderful and informative reports on the water levels. You probably don’t remember me but I am German born with parents surviving WWII in Schlesien  and emigrating as Displaced Persons in 1952. My Vati was POW in US and Mutti fled from the Russians. My Mutti will be 100 on Nov27! Strong German! Two weeks from today we fly from LAX to Prague and then Nürnberg to Budapest on the Danube with Viking so here I am again following you and your timely updates! I keep posting a link to this thread on several Facebook group pages I follow because YOU ARE THE BEST! Now all you have to do is learn how to make it rain! 😘  

Hello Wannawander,

good to hear from you again! I do remember you telling us about your family's amazing life story. Nearly 100! Say hello to your splendid mum.

By the way, one of my neighbours is now nearly 90, she fled from Silesia and subscribes to a magazine about Silesia.

On a day like this when the world seems to be just that little bit madder than the last and politicians are causing ever more turmoil in this fabulous world one can get down a bit, especially with my valley putting on that light Autumn grey. Your mum's story is so humbling and the happiness and excitement coming through in your post is refreshing. You have lifted my spirits. Thank you so much.

And so much praise - and facebook links. You are making me blush.

Will try to work on the rain... But I might cheat by pouring some water into the Danube from a bottle next time I am in that region :classic_biggrin:.

Have a great time in Prague and on the Danube.

notamermaid

Notamermaid, I  am  glad I brought a tiny bit of joy into your day. I feel privileged to do so!  I also just posted a link again to this thread on another Facebook  river cruise page in which I explained why your posts are accurate......because you are German and can read the info in the sources available and are able to interpret that  info as to river levels and you know the ships. I also tell them you live on the Rhine but this time I accidentally wrote “in “ the Rhine! Haha! You can’t fool me....you ARE a mermaid!

6 hours ago, Wannawander said:

Notamermaid, I  am  glad I brought a tiny bit of joy into your day. I feel privileged to do so!  I also just posted a link again to this thread on another Facebook  river cruise page in which I explained why your posts are accurate......because you are German and can read the info in the sources available and are able to interpret that  info as to river levels and you know the ships. I also tell them you live on the Rhine but this time I accidentally wrote “in “ the Rhine! Haha! You can’t fool me....you ARE a mermaid!

Okay, I admit. 😁 Someone has finally caught me out - although, G.M.T. has suspected it for some time, he suggested those lovely hot pants which I was thinking of wearing at the annual Rhine mermaids gathering, but then did not dare.

So much praise. I only really know how the Rhine "works" and only "understand" the German Danube a bit. To my slight embarrassment the river decided otherwise after I had posted the graph last night. The forecast went very wrong and by this morning is at least 10cm off the most likely figure. Serves me right to be so optimistic. Pfelling is now at 288cm and never made it to 300cm - a figure that had been forecast.

For today this means that the level could stay around 290cm but for tomorrow the forecast indicates a slight fall.

The rain: overall mixed forecast for the next few days, today light rain could cover the river basin in Germany, tomorrow only drizzle in a few areas, Friday potentially light rain restricted to the Northern half of the Danube catchment area. Does not sound that good, I hope the weather experts are wrong and the Danube gets more rain.

By the way, things are developing positively on the Rhine. Will get to that shortly.

notamermaid

Good morning from the Thomas Hardy proceeding downriver into Belgrade which we should reach ina bout 30 minutes.  As you said Notamermaid it is a lovely ship very light and airy with a friendly crew. 

Weather has been cooler than expected but yesterday in Pecs was sunny and shirtsleeves weather, at leat for the tourists, locals were wearing autumn coats! 

Water levels seem low low if the steep climb onto the riverbank is anything to go by but no issues for us so far. 

Yesterday we went to see a Hungarian horse farm where the horsemen showed off their skills culminating in one rider standing on the backs of two horses whilst driving ten altogether really amazing 

C9629308-1572-4403-B69B-9EF15FCDA6D6.jpeg

On 9/18/2019 at 10:24 PM, thunter1224 said:

I am wondering if there is any special number I need to watch for, To know if the boat will make it all the way thru the trip ? I will be on the Danube from Vilsofen to Budapest on Oct. 4th.    

Hello thunter1224,

I have researched a little and this is what I can answer you. Vilshofen port is seemingly in the difficult stretch between Passau and Regensburg, those being the best-known towns. The real problem only lies between downstream from Straubing (hence the fact that many Viking ships dock in Straubing for the ship swaps) and Vilshofen upstream from Passau. From what other cruisers have reported ships can get to Vilshofen port on the upstream itinerary, but I cannot make this out on the waterways map, so cannot be certain where the dock is in relation to the navigation channel. Around Vilshofen the navigation channel is getting deeper than at Pfelling. So, presuming all ships can use Vilshofen dock you are good to go from your original port in low conditions like we have at the moment. Generally speaking the stretches in Austria and Hungary have fewer problems but I have no figures that can help you determine when problems occur. I do not know when the authorities decide to close the river to traffic. This happened last year but conditions were worse than they are now.

For some more info on Hungary here is what I answered to I like vacation in post#22:

"Fortunately, there is an official site that also gives updates in English and puts them in context as regards low, mean and high. Here it is for Budapest: http://www.hydroinfo.hu/en/index.html

With more than a month to go before your cruise, almost anything is still possible, of course. A tendency that may show you what will happen at the start of your cruise is only going to be anything close to reliable much nearer to the start of your cruise. A forecast in the proper sense is only available around six days out (switch to graph on the website from here: http://www.hydroinfo.hu/en/hidelo.html) with an inbuilt error interval."

Hope this helps a little.

notamermaid

The river level at Pfelling is like the second verse of the nursery rhyme The Grand Old Duke Of York (no this does not refer to the current one "Randy Andy"):

When they were up, they were up,
And when they were down, they were down,
And when they were only halfway up,
They were neither up nor down.

• Haha 1