Charge for Room Service

jagsfan

I was worried that Carnival ‘s new charge for Room Service would wind up spreading throughout Carnival Corporation, but am happy to see they’ve decided not to implement it even within the Carnival fleet. 

1 hour ago, TracieABD said:

This is very good news. People on NCL have been very not happy about the room service charges.

We ordered room service while we were on the NCL Bliss (our one and only NCL cruise)…  I thought it would be pretty good since we had to pay for it but it was horrible! 

The only charge is for pizza and that is $3.   Carnival Corp operates as a holding company and mostly allows their separate lines to operate as separate companies.  Therefore what one line does or does not do has no reflection on the other lines.  They have recently made moves to stop some of the competition between the various lines.  One way this has been done was by grouping the lines which also has spread out the management to the 9 lines.  In Princess' case was to put Princess in the HAL group along with HAL and P&O Australia.  

9 hours ago, Amtrack Springfield said:

They have decided to not charge guests for room service due to feed back from guests.

After a very significant uprising, Carnival has decided to delay any room service charges for the time being while they make "adjustments".  It appears that NCL and Royal both are charging for room service at all times except breakfast (think hang tags).  Heald did mention earlier that there were a few responses on his F* page that he removed because of the vitriol.  From what was said it appears the page instantly lit up with not so happy cruisers. It is all about squeezing that last dollar out of their clientele.  

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/Carnival-Cruise-Line-Delays-Room-Service-Changes

Edited by satxdiver

On 1/10/2019 at 11:59 PM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

We ordered room service while we were on the NCL Bliss (our one and only NCL cruise)…  I thought it would be pretty good since we had to pay for it but it was horrible! 

That is really unfortunate. Such a poor business model.

1 hour ago, TracieABD said:

That is really unfortunate. Such a poor business model.

I agree.  The surprising thing was that the food everywhere else was fabulous so we expected room service would also be but unfortunately not. I forgot how much our bill was but I remember thinking that Princess doesn't charge for room service… 

On 1/11/2019 at 12:49 AM, satxdiver said:

Carnival Corp operates as a holding company and mostly allows their separate lines to operate as separate companies.  Therefore what one line does or does not do has no reflection on the other lines.  They have recently made moves to stop some of the competition between the various lines.  One way this has been done was by grouping the lines which also has spread out the management to the 9 lines.  In Princess' case was to put Princess in the HAL group along with HAL and P&O Australia.  

I think many decisions that have been by Princess in the past few years have come from above (Carnival Corp). I believe they operate less independently than they used to. 

It is true that Princess falls under the Holland America group.

I think we are seeing the future. Pretty soon it will be the norm. Like doing away with the Grand Midnight Buffets. Some cruise lines don't do the chocolate on the pillows either. It is more things they are taking away from the inclusive experience onboard. 

Even though the idea is for each line to maintain its own identity, if HQ institutes something that works for one, such as nonrefundable deposits, 

it is bound to spread throughout the corporation. 

Had the Room  Service fee schedule been accepted without opposition, I don’t doubt we would have seen it spread. 

Edited by jagsfan

The concept of payment for that which you want and order will undoubtedly be expanded to bring the cruise lines more into the hotel mode of accommodation only .  In many regards I won't mind that.  There are so many things offered aboard a ship that I have no use of but are 'charged' for in the basic fare.   If I have to pay for everything that I want but those things only, I think the prices for cruising will improve for many of us. Perhaps expanding "You get what you pay for"  to  "You don't pay for that which you don't get"?  Is that what this confounding new medallion thing is all about?

Edited by ONT-CA