Breakfast

wingit

On 1/12/2019 at 11:20 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

Many ships have the sticky buns as well.

There will be lots of choices for you.

I love the sticky buns!  My only complaint is that they are too large and I could usually only eat 1/2.  

5 hours ago, avian777 said:

IMO anyone who thinks no restaurant (including those on HAL ships) ever runs out of an item on its menu is kidding himself/herself!!!

I must be kidding myself everyday of my humble existence.  Any restaurant that consistently runs out of items on their menu will soon go out of business. The same will happen to cruise lines.

Edited by ChinaShrek

43 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I must be kidding myself everyday of my humble existence.  Any restaurant that consistently runs out of items on their menu will soon go out of business. The same will happen to cruise lines.

I think it might be high time for you to choose another cruise line.  It appears that HAL just doesn't come up to your exacting standards.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

Absolute tosh.

It just proves that the restaurant is using fresh ingredients and not freezing. ANY good restaurant will rather not serve a dish when the quality of ingredients is not up to required standard ( and this happens regulary, especially with seafood and certain vegetables) than to use inferiour or frozen products, and HAL is NOT consistently running out of items.

How many cruises have you done on HAL? How many in total? 

additionally, you really do not seem to grasp the concept of the differences between organizing stores for a land based restaurant and a seagoing vessel.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

OMG !!  Reality check - You had better NEVER do a Transatlantic or Transpacific crossing.  Supplies are brought on based on careful calculations but no one can predict a particular demographic or their usage.

Ships can run out of a certain bottle of wine, certain fruit (especially if some loaded is overly ripe - ran out of bananas on our Hawaii, Tahiti, Marquesas cruise because of that), etc.

Where do you want them to go in the middle of the ocean to replenish?  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kazu said:

OMG !!  Reality check - You had better NEVER do a Transatlantic or Transpacific crossing.  Supplies are brought on based on careful calculations but no one can predict a particular demographic or their usage.

Ships can run out of a certain bottle of wine, certain fruit (especially if some loaded is overly ripe - ran out of bananas on our Hawaii, Tahiti, Marquesas cruise because of that), etc.

While I’ve never given it much thought or notice I can’t remember anything that approached widespread shortages on any cruise except for one.   That one exception was on the Maasdam a few years ago and it was her last cruise before she went into drydock.   Toward the end of the cruise the ship started to run out of what I considered odd items like lemons and butter and reduced availability of eggs.   I also noted we had meatloaf as a main course dish two or three nights in the MDR towards the end of the cruise.   Can’t say it ruined the cruise but I noticed.  Actually the conclusion I drew from that  cruise was that we probably should avoid last cruises before a drydock as they might be drawing down perishable items.  

5 hours ago, Despegue said:

Absolute tosh.

It just proves that the restaurant is using fresh ingredients and not freezing. ANY good restaurant will rather not serve a dish when the quality of ingredients is not up to required standard ( and this happens regulary, especially with seafood and certain vegetables) than to use inferiour or frozen products, and HAL is NOT consistently running out of items.

How many cruises have you done on HAL? How many in total? 

additionally, you really do not seem to grasp the concept of the differences between organizing stores for a land based restaurant and a seagoing vessel.

All of those points are really irrelevant and off point.  My argument was that some items are missing from the breakfast "menu" on the Veendam.  That is a fact whether you chose to believe me or not.  I expect all items listed on a menu to be available for the entire cruise whether those items are canned, frozen, or freshly caught.  These are my exacting expectations and my opinion.  New cruisers should be aware of what cruise ships are really like not the idyllic world posted by you or others.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thank you for the real conditions on ocean crossings.  This is valuable information for new cruisers.  Just one question:  items could be choppered in, no?  

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Thank you for the real conditions on ocean crossings.  This is valuable information for new cruisers.  Just one question:  items could be choppered in, no?  

Hahahahahaha!

Choppered over the Atlantic!  (Or anywhere really) Oh man, you are hilarious.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

Then why publish any menu at all?  Why create false expectations?  People who come to cruisecritic and read that menu will get excited and expect that breakfast.  My goal is to dispel them of such dreams.  Breakfast will be what the cooks wish to serve.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Honestly anyone who thinks that their breakfast dreams have been dashed by what’s on offer at the HAL lido breakfast has set their expectations far too high.,  It is a mass market cruise line, not a luxury private yacht. I prefer the specialty restaurants for dinner, but I do think HAL does breakfasts really really well.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

...  I expect all items listed on a menu to be available for the entire cruise whether those items are canned, frozen, or freshly caught.  These are my exacting expectations ...

Just curious, have you found a cruise line (or any business, for that matter) that meets all of your expectations all of the time?  Thank you in advance for your response.

2 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

Just one question:  items could be choppered in, no?  

Ah, no.

Did you ever hear of provisions not meeting the ship? It happens. Did you ever hear of provisions being refused by the ship because they were not up to standard? It happens.

You sound like you got up on the wrong side of the bed.
If there aren't enough choices on every ship, every day, so a person can have a satisfying breakfast, then that person shouldn't be cruising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

Sure, happens frequently especially when they run out of sticky buns :classic_cool:

Related image

• Haha 6

So as to prevent any further disappointment, those passengers with exacting culinary expectations who are not satisfied with the breakfast offerings in the Lido will have the option of ordering the breakfast of their choice the evening before and HAL will ensure timely delivery by its recently acquired fleet of drones. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

So as to prevent any further disappointment, those passengers with exacting culinary expectations who are not satisfied with the breakfast offerings in the Lido will have the option of ordering the breakfast of their choice the evening before and HAL will ensure timely delivery by its recently acquired fleet of drones. 

The answer may well be offering edible drones. 

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

It's in the works. They're working on the range with in-flight refuelling

Image result for Breakfast drones

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks for the confirmation, Copper10-8. Any truth to the rumor that they are also working on a solar powered version to eliminate the need for in-flight refuelling? 

That's a Canadian project out of Pond Inlet

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

It's in the works. They're working on the range with in-flight refuelling

Image result for Breakfast drones

Should we now worry about bird poop on flying drone food deliveries? After all, it appears waving napkins at the final cruise dinner are now deemed fatally pathological. Is that Bernaise on my bun or what?

Edited by OlsSalt

1 minute ago, OlsSalt said:

Should we now worry about bird poop on flying drone food deliveries? After all, it appears waving napkins at the final cruise dinner are now deemed fatally pathological. Is that Bernaise on my bun or what?

Well, we can cover it up with a couple of clean white dinner napkins; biggest issue, besides range, is the temp of the food; it has to arrive hot

11 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I believe that a menu (just like an itinerary) should be honored or why bother having a menu (or an itinerary)?  I expect many cruisers believe the same thing as me and will not accept substandard service like yourself. 

No, most cruisers realize that an itinerary is NOT guaranteed.  You had better READ your contract.  Itineraries can change and may have to for many reasons: Ship can't tender.  Tides are not conducive.  A port is no longer deemed safe and changes are made.  Weather risks. All kinds of reasons.

It doesn't happen much in the Caribbean (other than not making tender ports or hurricane damage or hurricane threats) but in other parts of the world it can happen.

It's not a matter of substandard service - it's matter that you are on a ship and subject to King Neptune, weather and political unrest.  

I'm sorry but you are setting yourself up for disappointment with your expectations and it has NOTHING to do with substandard service.

• Like 1