Celebrity Edge Eden Restaurant Reviews Request

vermonter16

Looking for reviews for dinner in the Eden.  Not something my husband and I would normally do but our friends really wanted to do it and we had some OBC so we went along with it.  Please tell me the food is good.  I've searched through threads but there is so much Edge 'stuff' out there that I have found very limited info on those that have actually gone to Eden for dinner.

It is definitely out there but if you can get over the oddities of the performers the food was actually very good.

The menu is 2 columns of choices and you can switch freely back and forth between which column you choose for each course. The chefs are well prepared and look to take it very seriously. I stopped by around 1:00 pm and there were about 7-8 chefs working on the prep for that evenings dinner. We also went to Fine Cut and found it to be less than average for a steakhouse. Tuscan Grille on M and S class ships did a better job at steaks than Fone Cut did.

I say use the OBC for a nice evening in Eden and take the show for what it is but enjoy the food.

Thanks rM3panno.  I looked at the menu but couldn't really decipher what the dishes were.  I would be more apt to try the Fine Cut - but it looks like the Eden has steak anyways - not that I always eat steak, I definitely eat fish as well and the last steakhouse experience I had was definitely not worth the money.  Thank you for your review, I really appreciate it.  And for the show, lol - it does look rather different!

• 3 weeks later...

We are at Eden in December. It’s a fantasy style fairy land sort of atmosphere. Edenistic as we joked. It’s a bit like Petit Chef in menu design, chose from the first or second column of dishes. The food was excellent. Some of the dishes have food that appears to be rocks etc. they let us know when the food was real food and what was actually not edible. 

I would do it again. But likely not the same way we used to do Murano, where we attended at least once a cruise. I like the Eden area for lunch, the bar area and tables outside are nice. It is beautiful.

Glad to know you liked the food.  If you don't mind me asking - do you remember what you got?  Thanks so much for the reply - will be doing this once for dinner with friends since they really wanted to do it - but the menu looks 'complex' where I'm not really sure what is what, lol.  Will definitely be doing it for lunch - several times I expect.

I had dinner in Eden several weeks ago with 3 friends and we had a wonderful time. I was told the chef in Eden is a 2 star Michelin chef and since the kitchen is open to the dining room it was fun watching him and the other chefs prepare the food. 

If you have an adventurous spirit you will love Eden and the food.  Some of the Eden charatures help serve the food and do little performances around you during dinner. If you engage them they are delightful to talk to and will explain their character as well as the others so their performance later that evening makes sense.  

I think Eden is a one time adventure for me unless I am traveling with others who had not experienced it.

• Like 1

We enjoyed the experience. The food is excellent (except the amuse bouche items were not for us). The show was difficult for us to see at our table in the corner - some things happened around us and some upstairs out of view. We went upstairs after we finished and watched more of the show.

image.thumb.png.86a9c7a81bdf1f8337b9e38f6ebc0dd8.png

I had the Raindrops and DH had the Descending Frost - we both enjoyed the dishes. I had the Blue Velvet for the second course, which was also tasty and he had the Enlightening (I can't remember if he liked it -they gave us a potion in the bar when we arrived and I don't remember much after that 😉). The Tidal Pool (grouper) was fantastic - some of the best fish I've had on a ship. We both had Life After Death - that aged rib eye was amazing! I think we had the Looking glass - it was probably good, but we were full. They also bring you the Orchid in Blossom (surprise dessert). Lots of food, heavy on the seafood, which was fine with us.

My suggestion for them was to separate the dinner from the show and drop the price a bit, offer more choices on the menu and just have the show at a certain time upstairs (and not every night so other onboard music can be done there in the evening). The chef is talented and it is a nice restaurant. I would definitely eat there again, but don't need the show (though fun to experience once). 🙂

This is the amuse bouche to avoid, IMO, though maybe some like it:

image.thumb.png.053959f90e17aeb0f288796dc1a4bb94.png

image.png.bff34aa0c29300658197076746436201.png

image.thumb.png.3704ed927ce85097be91bf610478372c.png

image.thumb.png.80f807b64812df3d0250265684d32c3f.png

image.thumb.png.0f7eef319fd19a65479094f9ed46203e.png

image.thumb.png.e0a137cc1718c51006d6e218352b5017.png

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, gdpups said:

I had dinner in Eden several weeks ago with 3 friends and we had a wonderful time. I was told the chef in Eden is a 2 star Michelin chef and since the kitchen is open to the dining room it was fun watching him and the other chefs prepare the food. 

FYI Michelin does not award stars to chefs. 

10 hours ago, gdpups said:

I assume they mean he was the chef at a restaurant that was awarded 2 stars. Just what I was told on the ship.

Maybe in a low role; the head chef of a 2* Michelin restaurant would never work on a cruise ship. That would be like a super bowl winning NFL head coach coaching a junior varsity high school football team.

More likely they meant an executive chef that works/worked a 2* restaurant served as a consultant to Eden in creating the menu.

They mention two stars multiple times. The food is creatively crafted. I assumed they would have a hard time holding the form it is currently in just because I could imagine skipping it on several cruises, that is not just price, they would need to keep changing the menu and entertainment for repeat visitors.

We really enjoyed the food quite a bit. And go in with an open mind about the performers and just have fun with it. Our waiter said that the main menu would be changing often. I ordered off the hidden vegetarian menu - you basically were served what the chef thought up that day. It was absolutely delicious. The veg menu in the app apparently is only a sample menu. And I understood the main menu was to only be a sample as well. If you don't just love an item off the main menu, ask what the veg option is for that course. Once the table next to me saw what my plates were, that's what they did. 

1 hour ago, TexSea said:

We really enjoyed the food quite a bit. And go in with an open mind about the performers and just have fun with it. Our waiter said that the main menu would be changing often. I ordered off the hidden vegetarian menu - you basically were served what the chef thought up that day. It was absolutely delicious. The veg menu in the app apparently is only a sample menu. And I understood the main menu was to only be a sample as well. If you don't just love an item off the main menu, ask what the veg option is for that course. Once the table next to me saw what my plates were, that's what they did. 

Oh, good to know! This should go into the Edge Secrets thread too! 😀

We dined in Eden and it was horrible.  The food wasn't good and surely not worth a surcharge.  A very limited menu.   The characters were annoying at best.  I felt like we were witnessing the emperor's new clothes thinking "am I nuts" or are they.  New and mode isn't always best.  However apparently some people enjoyed it- Really enjoyed le petite chef.

We have two other Edge cruises booked and will surely skip Eden next time.  If you want to see the characters, just sit at the Eden bar area order a drink and you will have the experience.  

Edited by Cruise a holic
New and mod

5 hours ago, Gonzo70 said:
15 hours ago, gdpups said:

I assume they mean he was the chef at a restaurant that was awarded 2 stars. Just what I was told on the ship.

Maybe in a low role; the head chef of a 2* Michelin restaurant would never work on a cruise ship. That would be like a super bowl winning NFL head coach coaching a junior varsity high school football team.

More likely they meant an executive chef that works/worked a 2* restaurant served as a consultant to Eden in creating the menu.

Agreed. The line's AVP of Food and Bev is Cornelius Gallagher, a chef who held one Michelin star at Oceana in NYC back in the early 2010s. (According to his bio he also worked at El Bulli, which of course had three stars, so perhaps the crew were simply mistaken or averaging?) I would be shocked if he had a strong role in day-to-day operations but would equally assume he was involved in the menu development.

On 2/5/2019 at 2:25 PM, Cruise a holic said:

We dined in Eden and it was horrible.  The food wasn't good and surely not worth a surcharge.  A very limited menu.   The characters were annoying at best.  I felt like we were witnessing the emperor's new clothes thinking "am I nuts" or are they.  New and mode isn't always best.  However apparently some people enjoyed it- Really enjoyed le petite chef.

We have two other Edge cruises booked and will surely skip Eden next time.  If you want to see the characters, just sit at the Eden bar area order a drink and you will have the experience.  

I actually don't care about the characters - just the food.  What specifically was wrong with the food that you didn't like?

53 minutes ago, vermonter16 said:

I actually don't care about the characters - just the food.  What specifically was wrong with the food that you didn't like?

iMO. Food didn’t taste good.  First they gave us a drink which we didn’t like, something weird for the appetizer, main course was two slices of steak.  Dessert was clever,  looked like a ball, then they put chocolate on it and it had something inside.  Taste not nearly as good as it looked.  Found the menu too limited.  Especially if you do not eat seafood.  Just not my taste.  Preferred the steak house. I also found the characters silly and intrusive 

26 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

iMO. Food didn’t taste good.  First they gave us a drink which we didn’t like, something weird for the appetizer, main course was two slices of steak.  Dessert was clever,  looked like a ball, then they put chocolate on it and it had something inside.  Taste not nearly as good as it looked.  Found the menu too limited.  Especially if you do not eat seafood.  Just not my taste.  Preferred the steak house. I also found the characters silly and intrusive 

Thanks for the feedback!  I appreciate it. 

• 6 months later...
16 minutes ago, Royalcaribbeans said:

I am wondering if you can order a few entrees or appetizers like in the MDR?

Good question. It may be like Fine Cut Steakhouse where they charge $20 (or did the last time I looked) for ordering an extra entree, though you can order all of the appetizers at no extra charge. I think they do that in FCSH because of the quality of the meat (listed as prime, dry-aged, etc.). There were two entree courses when we dined in Eden so maybe one could order two of the same entree and neither of the other entrees.  They seemed pretty flexible.

Edited by vtcruising

Just now, Timeforatrip said:

We ate there last week. It was excellent. One of the best meals we had. My friend almost canceled on us because of the menu and later said it was her favorite meal on the ship.  We also got to see a beautiful sunset. 

That sounds wonderful! Do you have a copy of the present menu? They have changed it a few times. :classic_smile: