Random (lame? Haha) question about CPAPs

lissajeff24

This might be a dumb question but here I go 🙂  

Sailing on Vista on February 3rd... Is there a reason(s) why someone would carry on their CPAP machine versus putting it in their checked luggage?  I’ve seen comments about them on various threads and it made me wonder.  I’m bringing mine but was planning on packing inside my suitcase.  It has a bag that everything goes in & it fits nicely in my suitcase, so I’d rather not carry it on, as I want less stuff to lug around once we board since we don’t have FTTF or anything that gets us in our rooms faster.   (This is my first time bringing my CPAP on a cruise so I want to be sure I’m not doing something wrong 😄😄)

Is it just personal preference?   Thanks!!!

I always carry mine in a backpack with me as I board...in addition to my carry on. I feel better knowing its definitely going on board with me. I once went on a cruise in which one in our group did NOT get a piece of his checked luggage until after we returned. This I'm sure is extremely rare, but since I absolutely cannot sleep without my machine, I'm not taking any chances. 🙂

• Like 2

We actually carry-on all of our suitcases. And they are the big ones, 28." You do have to get stern with the porters and they will tell you "THEY HAVE TO BE CHECKED." But they are wrong. And when we got on at 11:30, our rooms were already ready, so it was great. Already had all our stuff and no concerns about losing or delayed luggage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lissajeff24 said:

Is there a reason(s) why someone would carry on their CPAP machine versus putting it in their checked luggage?

Just like my meds, I don't want it to "disappear".  They are a very expensive machine and I carry my CPAP machine with me so I know its exact location.  

1.  It's Carnival's policy.

2.  Can you live without your CPAP if it is lost (I can't)?

3.  Can you afford to replace it once you return home (they aren't cheap)?

Just like with air travel, you should keep all jewelry, documents, medications (including your CPAP), money/credit cards, etc. with you, not checked through.

• Like 1

I just found this on Carnival's website:

• "f you use a CPAP machine, please note you will need to pack your machine with your carry-on luggage. Should you wish to bring your own distilled water with you to use with your CPAP machine, it must be hand carried along with your CPAP machine. For your convenience, Carnival carries distilled water which can be purchased either pre-cruise or once on board. For pre-purchase, you must contact our Fun Shops department at 1-800-522-7648, Extension 70039, Monday-Sunday from 8:00am-10:00pm ET. For purchase on board, you can contact Room Service."

It makes sense if you have a full-size machine, especially if it can't fit inside a suitcase. Have you ever seen how they sling and stack suitcases? I invested in a travel machine and it fits nicely inside my suitcase, so I don't plan on carrying it on. I'll just make sure it's padded and tucked securely. Hope it doesn't set off the naughty police.

5 minutes ago, ChattaCruzer said:

I just found this on Carnival's website:

• "f you use a CPAP machine, please note you will need to pack your machine with your carry-on luggage. Should you wish to bring your own distilled water with you to use with your CPAP machine, it must be hand carried along with your CPAP machine. For your convenience, Carnival carries distilled water which can be purchased either pre-cruise or once on board. For pre-purchase, you must contact our Fun Shops department at 1-800-522-7648, Extension 70039, Monday-Sunday from 8:00am-10:00pm ET. For purchase on board, you can contact Room Service."

It makes sense if you have a full-size machine, especially if it can't fit inside a suitcase. Have you ever seen how they sling and stack suitcases? I invested in a travel machine and it fits nicely inside my suitcase, so I don't plan on carrying it on. I'll just make sure it's padded and tucked securely. Hope it doesn't set off the naughty police.

This is me.  It's not a big machine, the bag looks like a laptop bag.  I'm going to pack it all up, try a couple of different bags, see if it's heavy, etc. and make a decision.  I also plan on asking others in my group of 20, if they have FTTF or better status, and if they can get to their rooms, I will just toss my stuff in their room!  We are all close together on the same hall :)

I carry on all items of value or items not easily replaced while onboard.  In addition, packing a cpap machine in checked luggage will probably necessitate a search of your bag by security to see what the heck it is.  You'd hate to start your cruise in the naughty room.

Fortunately for me, I have two "beater" CPAPS. Which, I use for travelling. I have a large cumbersome "22" rolling bag. So, I pack what I need including CPAP in smaller duffel like bag plus my laptop/electronics. That way, if there's a delay it's no big deal. No kittens would be had. I can enjoy my cruise.

Here's my fix. This 22" Eagle Creek carry-on fits lengthwise in overhead airline storage bins, rolls perfect for cruises, and is on the couch here at the hotel with me tonight for business travel. The Resmed 10 CPAP fits perfect in the bottom of the bag, the mask and hose fit in the outside zipper compartment and the power supply tucks in a well. 
 This machine cost me $700 after insurance and 75 pounds lost and three years later I cannot sleep without it. There is no way I'd risk it getting lost or damaged. 

For my air travel the carry on fits perfect lengthwise in overhead bins and is super lightweight. Spinner wheel luggage cannot be pushed forward and this one works great with urethane wheels. 
 On cruises it carries my iPad, camera(s) and the CPAP away from that case that looks like a 90's computer case.  I also carry a 9' flat three prong extension cord and it has worked on every cruise on several class ships, most recently on the Valor. 
 I wonder for those who use it 100% of the time like I do how sleep without it? I struggle mightily. 

See you at sea. 

Eagle Creek Luggage.jpg

Edited by BallFour4

I recently started using a CPAP, I will probably carry it on because it is not that large or heavy. I do not bring that much carry on stuff anyway (Since I long longer bring a laptop.) Plus it seems Carnival policy ask that it be carried on. There are some reasons to put it in the checked luggage. First, a cruise is not like an airline where bags are going a dozen different ways. Second, luggage rarely gets lost and it if does generally another passenger took into their cabin by mistake. Third, travel insurance to cover lost or stolen items. 

I can sleep without it but, I try not to. If I'm on an overnight trip or staying at one of the hotels near work for an early shift, I'm lazy and go without. And during the summer especially we lose power at least twice a season. A few months ago, on my Horizon Cruise which was part of being away for 16 days, I as a schmuck left the chin strap home. Of course, I schlepped the rest of my beater CPAP. I guess, since I was on vacation I was OK going without. Amazing how when on vacation especially cruising all that ails you and stuff like forgetting pills and vitamins and even CPAP parts does not affect me. Now, my poor dear friend. She got subjected to my loud "pug doggy" snoring complete with toots (All that vacation/cruise food). She even said I sounded like a goat bleating on one night.

Luggage may rarely get lost on a cruise...true enough...but it does occasionally happen. As I stated above, it happened to one of our party once...he never received his checked bag until we got back off the boat. First port, he was buying shorts, shirts, and underwear. He took it with a lot more understanding than I probably would. If this would happen to me with my cpap, I'd be a miserable wretch. No way I take that chance. 🙂

On 1/16/2019 at 10:27 AM, lissajeff24 said:

Sailing on Vista on February 3rd... Is there a reason(s) why someone would carry on their CPAP machine versus putting it in their checked luggage?  I’ve seen comments about them on various threads and it made me wonder.  I’m bringing mine but was planning on packing inside my suitcase.  It has a bag that everything goes in & it fits nicely in my suitcase, so I’d rather not carry it on, as I want less stuff to lug around once we board since we don’t have FTTF or anything that gets us in our rooms faster.   (This is my first time bringing my CPAP on a cruise so I want to be sure I’m not doing something wrong 😄😄)

Is it just personal preference?   Thanks!!!

Also one time the people directing you were to go when getting on approached me and told me I can go to my cabin to drop it off. Which I did.