Cruise Requirements

c_scott123

Hello, I have a question and I was hoping that someone who has cruised recently would be able to help me out. I am planning a family cruise and one of the people cruising has a green card form Cameroon, Africa. Their passport is about to expire and it takes a year or so to get it renewed there. I was wondering if he would be able to use his green card and ID to cruise from Galveston to Cozumel. I have contacted the cruise line (Carnival) which said green card and ID are fine. I also contacted the embassy and they said that a passport would be ideal and they can not guarantee me if he would be able to go. They said that cruise lines are more lenient and that they should only ask for a green card and ID. Can anyone help me. The passport expires one month before the vacation and I have also heard that an expired passport is better than no passport. I know that a passport would be required if we were traveling by plane or car. 

Edited by c_scott123

The "green card" only shows authorization to enter/live in the US. It does not provide any travel privileges to other countries.

If he is questioned in a foreign country (such as Mexico or most Caribbean islands) he could be considered an illegal alien, and subject to criminal and/or administrative hearings prior to being deported.

I would highly suggest that he get his passport renewed.

The green card allows him back into the US at the end of the cruise.  Mexico also allows persons to travel to Mexico with just a green card.  Whether the cruiseline requires anything more is up to them, but I would try to get it in writing.

Edited by cherylandtk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

The green card allows him back into the US at the end of the cruise.  Mexico also allows persons to travel to Mexico with just a green card.  Whether the cruiseline requires anything more is up to them, but I would try to get it in writing.

Mexico requires a valid passport with the  US green card.  The US green card just waives the need for a Mexican visa.

Have you ever traveled to Mexico via cruise with a green card and ID? If not what assures you he will be arrested? The problem is getting on the ship. Once that clears all is fine. Your required to show your sail and sign card/ID to reboard 

This  looks to me like this person from Camaroon, Africa must have a valid passport upon entry to Mexico:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Mexico   They don't need a visa since they have a US green card, but they do need a valid passport from Camaroon.

https://www.mexperience.com/do-i-need-a-visa-to-visit-mexico/

Have you considered using a passport expeditor to get this person a new passport sooner than normal?

As I have explained above, the "green card" provides no benefit in a foreign country. If your friend decides to sail, I wish him the best of luck.

Just remember, the person at the other end of the phone at the cruise line is not an experienced immigration agent.

4 hours ago, c_scott123 said:

Have you ever traveled to Mexico via cruise with a green card and ID? If not what assures you he will be arrested? The problem is getting on the ship. Once that clears all is fine. Your required to show your sail and sign card/ID to reboard 

What makes you assume he would not be?

But you are correct, more likely, he will not be allowed to board.

The exemptions from a passport for WHTI cruises is for AMERICAN CITIZENS. Not necessarily resident aliens