Breakfast (uncooked oatmeal)

zitsky

We had breakfast in the Explorer lounge on several occasions.  Cooked oatmeal was offered, so I suspect a request the evening before might result in something being set aside.  You might even be able to request it through room service.

21 hours ago, zitsky said:

Has anyone been successful in ordering uncooked/raw oatmeal, either at World Cafe or MDR?  I don't want to be a pain in the neck to the wait staff, but it would be nice.

I can’t help but ask why you would want uncooked oatmeal?

1 hour ago, Cyber Kat said:

I can’t help but ask why you would want uncooked oatmeal?

Uncooked oatmeal tastes a million times better than cooked.  I started eating it raw 10 years ago.  If they have cooked oatmeal they have the raw stuff somewhere.  It's just a question of how long it takes.

If they have muesli that might be good enough.  If I go to the restaurant I will ask for uncooked oatmeal or muesli and we'll see what they say.  I don't want them to go to a lot of trouble.  But if they can get it, why not.

This does make a good argument to go straight to the World Cafe because it should be much easier to get either muesli or raw oatmeal without too much fuss.

(portofinoitaly you are right.  Muesli is oatmeal plus nuts etc.  So that should be fine for me.  I sometimes like just plain oatmeal.  My partner eats yogurt and he likes to add nuts to that, especially almonds.  I don't enjoy the nuts that much.)

Edited by zitsky

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Uncooked oatmeal tastes a million times better than cooked.  I started eating it raw 10 years ago.  If they have cooked oatmeal they have the raw stuff somewhere.  It's just a question of how long it takes.

If they have muesli that might be good enough.  If I go to the restaurant I will ask for uncooked oatmeal or muesli and we'll see what they say.  I don't want them to go to a lot of trouble.  But if they can get it, why not.

This does make a good argument to go straight to the World Cafe because it should be much easier to get either muesli or raw oatmeal without too much fuss.

(portofinoitaly you are right.  Muesli is oatmeal plus nuts etc.  So that should be fine for me.  I sometimes like just plain oatmeal.  My partner eats yogurt and he likes to add nuts to that, especially almonds.  I don't enjoy the nuts that much.)

My DH had no problem getting various nuts and seeds in the MDR. I would think raw oatmeal will also not be a problem.

22 hours ago, zitsky said:

Do you mean cold oatmeal or that you just eat the uncooked oats?  Sorry, but I can’t imagine just eating the oats.  😳 If that’s what you want, I can’t imagine it would be too much trouble to pour oats in a bowl. 

Viking does have really good muesli!  I can highly recommend that!  They have all sorts of toppings for it as well. I seem to remember that they had it at the World Cafe. I have had it on the river cruises a lot, but I’m sure they had it on the ocean cruises. They had this really good bread and I got hooked on having it with smoked salmon and cream cheese!

Viking makes their own yogurt and it is delish!  I’m trying to remember if they had almonds. I know If they have it on the ship, they will get it for you. Just ask. They are very accommodating. 

The food was so very good!

1 hour ago, Cyber Kat said:

Do you mean cold oatmeal or that you just eat the uncooked oats?  Sorry, but I can’t imagine just eating the oats.  😳 If that’s what you want, I can’t imagine it would be too much trouble to pour oats in a bowl. 

Viking does have really good muesli!  I can highly recommend that!  They have all sorts of toppings for it as well. I seem to remember that they had it at the World Cafe. I have had it on the river cruises a lot, but I’m sure they had it on the ocean cruises. They had this really good bread and I got hooked on having it with smoked salmon and cream cheese!

Viking makes their own yogurt and it is delish!  I’m trying to remember if they had almonds. I know If they have it on the ship, they will get it for you. Just ask. They are very accommodating. 

The food was so very good!

Do they have the regular muesli (dry) or Bircher (soaked overnight in milk, cream, yogurt)? Maybe both?

17 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Do they have the regular muesli (dry) or Bircher (soaked overnight in milk, cream, yogurt)? Maybe both?

I hope it's dry.  Because you might as well eat the cooked oatmeal.  I can't imagine the consistency is appealing after soaking all night? But what do I know?

9 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I hope it's dry.  Because you might as well eat the cooked oatmeal.  I can't imagine the consistency is appealing after soaking all night? But what do I know?

It's actually very good (at least I think so).  It's the European version served in most hotels, especially Germany and Switzerland.   I've never seen it here in the US but I do it myself sometimes, never tasting as good as what I have had there. Even with soaking, the consistency is different than cooked oatmeal, and of course it is cold.

9 minutes ago, Richbutnot said:

It's called Overnight Oats and it's very good. Google it.

Yes, you can get information/recipes by googling Overnight Oats but the original name is Bircher as it was created by a Swiss Physician, Dr. Bircher.  Guess Overnight Oaks has become a "nickname".  

1 hour ago, Richbutnot said:

It's called Overnight Oats and it's very good. Google it.

LOL! And I would say "no thanks" to a bowl of just raw oats in a bowl of milk.  What makes the muesli so good is all the  fruits and nuts, in addition to the yogurt/cream base.  You can be very creative  to your liking, and it is healthier. In researching, Dr. Bercher created it for the sole purpose of getting his patients to eat more raw fruits and nuts.  Well, as they say, variety is the spice of life, to each their own, etc, etc.  I have never done a Viking River cruise but I would sure think they would have had the Overnight/Bircher Muesli on the Europe itineraries.  

Just now, zitsky said:

There is no added sugar in muesli?  Correct?

Not in the dry usually, as far as I know.   I guess if there is any added sugar in the Overnight/Bircher it certainly can be added in different forms, such as honey.  If not making it yourself, getting on a cruise or at a hotel, then you would not know.  If you make your own then of course you can control that.  Most Bircher I've had doesn't seem overly sweet and seems to get its sweetness from the fruits.  I can usually experience a slight sourness  if made with yogurt.   Bob's Red Mill is a dry muesli I can buy on the west coast which can be eaten with milk or added to milk/cream/yogurt for the overnight. 

Muesli.jpg

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I happen to make it every evening for next days breakfast. Uncooked oats, cover with skim milk, stir in low-fat vanilla yogurt, a drizzle of honey, sprinkle in some cinnamon , a handful of sliced almonds, some raisins. Stir it and cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning you can top with bananas, berries, apples, etc. This is the way I make it and it is healthy and delicious.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, portofinoitaly said:

I happen to make it every evening for next days breakfast. Uncooked oats, cover with skim milk, stir in low-fat vanilla yogurt, a drizzle of honey, sprinkle in some cinnamon , a handful of sliced almonds, some raisins. Stir it and cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning you can top with bananas, berries, apples, etc. This is the way I make it and it is healthy and delicious.  Enjoy!

Sounds good. Do you find you sometimes have to thin down with a bit more milk in the morning? I have and  I guess some oats absorb the moisture more than others.   Our daughter lived in Switzerland for a few years and after our last visit I was in the habit of making it also but for some reason got away from it.  I am now inspired to add it back into my breakfast rotation!!  I also eat a lot of hot oatmeal in the winter, with fruits like raisins, apples or blueberries.  After all this discussion I will definitely be making muesli for tomorrow.  So Zitsky, you should really give it a try!

25 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

Sounds good. Do you find you sometimes have to thin down with a bit more milk in the morning? I have and  I guess some oats absorb the moisture more than others.   Our daughter lived in Switzerland for a few years and after our last visit I was in the habit of making it also but for some reason got away from it.  I am now inspired to add it back into my breakfast rotation!!  I also eat a lot of hot oatmeal in the winter, with fruits like raisins, apples or blueberries.  After all this discussion I will definitely be making muesli for tomorrow.  So Zitsky, you should really give it a try!

I enjoy cooking and while I am preparing dinner, I also make this at the same time. DH adds more milk, and I like it  without. 

19 hours ago, Ready to Sail! said:

LOL! And I would say "no thanks" to a bowl of just raw oats in a bowl of milk.  What makes the muesli so good is all the  fruits and nuts, in addition to the yogurt/cream base.  You can be very creative  to your liking, and it is healthier. In researching, Dr. Bercher created it for the sole purpose of getting his patients to eat more raw fruits and nuts.  Well, as they say, variety is the spice of life, to each their own, etc, etc.  I have never done a Viking River cruise but I would sure think they would have had the Overnight/Bircher Muesli on the Europe itineraries.  

As would I!  I’m not a cold cereal fan. I do like the Muesli I’ve had on the Viking ships and I loved all the toppings they had. On the river cruise, they had ginger and it was really a great combination. I thought I’d mind that the muesli was cold, but it was fine. I eat my oatmeal cooked. I have a recipe for overnight oatmeal, but I haven’t tried it. I like both steel cut and the more common Quaker style. I usually get it in the bulk foods area of Whole Foods.

I have found Viking to be very accommodating to all food requests wherever they have something. They have been known to pick up specially requested items ashore.  I’m sure you will be able to get your raw oats, Zitsky 😀

On 1/19/2019 at 1:02 PM, portofinoitaly said:

Not a big oatmeal fan, unless it's in cookies.  I also like a crunch to my cereal so I usually do a mix of base with all the ingredients you add to your 'recipe" when on board.  Far too much trouble for just me at home