Forward, Mid or Aft

NotTooCritical

We like it as high and forward as we can get which usually means the Panorama deck.  They say you can feel more movement there, but we really haven't noticed it.  We like it because there is very little traffic and it is convenient to to lido, the spa and the glass elevators.

I've only sailed mid ship towards the front.  On the ship I was on I liked the proximity to the mid ship elevators and the atrium.   Look at the ship map and decide which activities or restaurants you want to be near. Being able to walk up or down a couple flights and be right where you want to be is nice.

My last 2 cruises were forward and  I specifically book my next one forward because i'm familiar with how to maneuver from forward. I think that I would like any area because they all have some proximity advantage to a given activity or venue.  My next cruise is the first time booked on lido so i'm excited to see how well I like that area.

9 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We like it as high and forward as we can get which usually means the Panorama deck.  They say you can feel more movement there, but we really haven't noticed it.  We like it because there is very little traffic and it is convenient to to lido, the spa and the glass elevators.

Same here.  For our third cruise, we were upgraded for free to the Panorama Deck.  Once there, we have never been on any deck other than the Panorama.  Always pick cabins right by the elevators.  Never once had any problems with motion.

I like being closer to the fun. I was in the aft the last few times. It was nice going up 2-3 flights of stairs and being immediately at the MDR, Alchemy, Comedy Club, Ocean Plaza, Lido, etc. 

What I hate the most is the lower levels. I hate using the elevator. It takes forever because of all of the lazy people refusing to use 1 flight of stairs. 

We normally get as high and forward as possible. It is fairly quiet in that area, which we like. You definitely feel more movement of the ship, but that doesn’t bother us and actually helps us fall asleep. We also like being close to the gym and spa, which we usually use every morning. 

• Like 1

I've been everywhere and I've liked them all. Just pay attention to where you are and what you're planning to do. An example of that on the last ship was we had havana (all the way aft) and spa access (all the way forward). So we had to walk across the ship to get to the spa. I won't do that again on the Vista class ships. On the Dream class ships with the t-pool, spa is worth it, otherwise save your money.

We like it high and forward, and that's where I'll be on the Glory in a couple weeks. I like the quiet and convenience, and if there is more of a roll, I must like it.  But for our cruise on the Panorama, we're trying the aft extended balcony for the first time, so I'll have a more informed opinion after that.  

• Like 1

We always prefer mid ship to aft and really more toward aft.  Deck wise I'd rather not be down really

low but we have been before when we were cruising on a budget and then last February when we

stayed in a family oceanview cabin for 5 on the Magic.  It wasn't too bad though - but my husband can't do 

stairs so it's a pain to have to catch the elevator all the time.

That's a pretty  judgey thing to say.  You dont know why people prefer to take elavators. Do they have heart issues? Maybe joint issues. How about breathing problems?  Maybe they had a drink or two and didn't trust themselves to navigate stairs. Maybe they were just on vacation and want to take the elavator.  I was pre-surgical on my last cruise and could not climb more than a step or two.  Lighten up a little. It's a cruise, don't sweat the small stuff.☺

• Like 2

I love my aft balconies!

Our first cruise we had a cabin in the very front, The up and down motion you get in the front does not agree with me.

Our 2nd cruise we were in the middle and it was great, steady no movement.

Our 3rd cruise we had an aft balcony and fell in love with the side to side rocking motion you get at the aft end of the boat.

We had a forward balcony on the Lido deck on our last cruise and it quickly became our favorite location. It was so convenient to the pools, Lido food venues, and the Cloud 9 spa. We've also thought about trying one of the aft extended balconies for the view, but I'm worried about no breeze and lack of shade. My DH would be miserable.

Don't want a cabin which is too far forward and don't want to pay a premium for mid-ship . 

More important is having a cabin on a sandwich deck with cabin decks above and below .

Also not worth paying more for a top deck .

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Aplmac said:

You don't get vibration from the shafts and propellers??

On one of our cruises, our adult son and his friend were in an aft inside cabin.  He said that when we pulled into ports, the side thrusters made the cabin shake so bad that they almost fell out of their beds.

7 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

On one of our cruises,

our adult son and his friend were in an aft inside cabin. 

He said that when we pulled into ports,

the side thrusters made the cabin shake so bad

that they almost fell out of their beds.

I can identify with the above statement!

We were in the process of docking one morning,

while we were seated in the aft dining room for breakfast.

The vibration was extraordinary!

I knew what was causing the seismicity (felt like a 7.6 on the Richter Scale)

but there were people in the dining room who looked distinctly worried.

Cutlery was dancing around on our tables

as other items vibrated their way visibly towards the edge!

I thought "Surely those guys on the bridge

know what effect their efforts must be having in the aft dining room -at breakfast"

but it went on for quite a few minutes!! It wasn't pleasant.

Over the years, we’ve stayed in cabins in just about every location of the ship. We have no preference... But, we do avoid being:

- directly under a public area where things may be dragged or dropped. (Galley, lido, etc.)

- directly adjacent to stairs and elevator

- directly adjacent a crew service door (those doors alway seem to slam 24x7)

Ultimately for us, any room on a cruise ship is better that any room in a land hotel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I too, prefer AFT, or MID.  I've not noticed excessive vibration, or noise in those cabins.  Least favorite is forward, as the noise, and banging on the ships hull make for a very bad experience,,,,depending on which deck you're on.