First Time Cruiser - A few questions

zeph918

Glad I found this site... maybe you guys can help me out.  

In September 2019, It will be our 20th anniversary.    She THINKS I only have a trip to the beach planned.   But no, I have a cruse to Bermuda already booked up.   Im doing all the planning pretty much on my own.   I got a flight booked, transfer service scheduled, and even a shore excursion planned.   Im doing it solo because I want it to be a surprise for her that Ill reveal a week or two before we go.  

With this being our first cruise, I had some questions.   We are going to be on the Carnival Breeze by the way.   

1 - Our trip makes a stop at the Grand Turk where I have already booked a entry level snorkeling excursion.   But Im not sure how I am going to find where to go for the excursion once we dock at grand turk.   

2 - Whats the point of having a "dining time"?   I was under the impression you could eat 24/7 as much as you wanted to on a cruise (aside from obvious signature dining locations).  Part of a cruise was staying stuffed with food all the time right?  😃    Am I wrong in thinking that you can eat at any of the included diners anytime, and as often, as you would like?   

3 - Are there Ice machines that you can get access to or like a mini fridge in the rooms?   Just thinking about being out on the balcony (we have an aft balcony room) and getting thirsty.   

4- Room service is....really free?   First time cruiser so I honestly dont know.  So If I want some food or a sweet treat at 9PM I just call room service and they bring it to me all included?    This seems so foreign to me  since normally not only do you pay for the food they bring, but you also pay for the service of them bringing it to you.  

5 - How is luggage handled?    When we get off the plane with our bags, we find the transfer service.  But what then?   Im sure they will let us know but figured I would ask.   Do we carry our bags to our room right away or do they have some kind of service like an airport that does it for you or what?

Sorry to be so ignorant.  Ive been researching so much on the internet regarding cruises.   Watched countless youtube videos and read even more websites.    I still have 9 months before we depart but Im the type that likes to have his ducks in a row as early as possible.   

I appreciate all the help.   Im gonna prod around on this site to see if I can find some answers in previous posts here.  

Edited by zeph918
  • Like 1

1 They should have told you when you booked where and how to meetup .

2 Except for the pay venues and the MDR. Information is easily accessed on Carnivals website. Also with the person you booked with.

3 A fridge should be in your room , you can request ice from your room steward. Ice machines by cup size will be on lido buffet area.

4 not all is free there will be a menu in your state room .

5  Very roughly :classic_blink:

13 minutes ago, zeph918 said:

In September 2019, It will be our 20th anniversary.    She THINKS I only have a trip to the beach planned.   But no, I have a cruse to Bermuda already booked up.   Im doing all the planning pretty much on my own.   I got a flight booked, transfer service scheduled, and even a shore excursion planned.   Im doing it solo because I want it to be a surprise for her that Ill reveal a week or two before we go.  

With this being our first cruise, I had some questions.   We are going to be on the Carnival Breeze by the way.   

1 - Our trip makes a stop at the Grand Turk where I have already booked a entry level snorkeling excursion.   But Im not sure how I am going to find where to go for the excursion once we dock at grand turk.   Depending on how you booked the excursion, your meet up directions will vary. If you booked through the ship, there will be instructions with your tickets which will be in your stateroom a day or two before your port date. Generally, you'll most likely walk off the ship, down the pier and into the "square". Tour guides will be holding signs. Find your guide and you're good to go. 

2 - Whats the point of having a "dining time"?   I was under the impression you could eat 24/7 as much as you wanted to on a cruise (aside from obvious signature dining locations).  Part of a cruise was staying stuffed with food all the time right?  😃    Am I wrong in thinking that you can eat at any of the included diners anytime, and as often, as you would like?   The dining times are for dinner. There's early, late or any time. Any time is similar to going out on land. Show up when you're hungry and you'll be seated based on table availability. For the two fixed dining times, you go to the main dining room to your assigned table. In addition to the dining room, the Lido buffet is open for dinner. There is also pizza 24 hrs, a deli, and other venues depending on your ship. For the most part, pizza and ice cream are always available.

3 - Are there Ice machines that you can get access to or like a mini fridge in the rooms?   Just thinking about being out on the balcony (we have an aft balcony room) and getting thirsty.   There aren't any ice machines, but you can ask your stateroom attendant to provide you with ice. Some ships have fridges, it depends. 

4- Room service is....really free?   First time cruiser so I honestly dont know.  So If I want some food or a sweet treat at 9PM I just call room service and they bring it to me all included?    This seems so foreign to me  since normally not only do you pay for the food they bring, but you also pay for the service of them bringing it to you.  Room service seems to be in flux right now. Carnival recently announced plans to charge for room service and then rolled it back a couple of days later. As it stands today, room service has both free and pay for items, which are reasonably priced.

5 - How is luggage handled?    When we get off the plane with our bags, we find the transfer service.  But what then?   Im sure they will let us know but figured I would ask.   Do we carry our bags to our room right away or do they have some kind of service like an airport that does it for you or what? When you get to the port, big bags are dropped with porters and then they're delivered over the next couple of hours, normally by dinner time. 

Sorry to be so ignorant.  Ive been researching so much on the internet regarding cruises.   Watched countless youtube videos and read even more websites.    I still have 9 months before we depart but Im the type that likes to have his ducks in a row as early as possible.   

I appreciate all the help.   Im gonna prod around on this site to see if I can find some answers in previous posts here.  

I hope this helps!

Finding your transfer service is easy.  There will be representatives with signs and stands spread out around baggage claim.  You collect your luggage, find them and they will lead you to the buses.  The bus driver will put your luggage under the bus.  At port, you will collect your luggage (tip the driver $1-2 a person) and take your luggage to the waiting porters and they will loag it on baggage carts to be take onboard. Just to add, you also tip porters who take your luggages $1-2 a bag. You can take your carryon bags with you onto the ship.  You will go thru security like at the airport.

The dining room menu is different from Lido dinner buffet.  It is nice to have a sit down dinner at the end of the day .  The dinner menu is posted so you can check it and decide if you want to eat there or elsewhere every night.  

Food is definitely plentiful. The dining time is for the Main Dining Room (MDR) for a multi course sit down dinner every night. If you choose not to go there you could eat pizza, go to the buffet which serves some of the same foods as the MDR, order room service, or pay extra on some ships for sushi, steakhouse, etc. The menus are similar from cruise to cruise so if you search on here or do a google search you can get an idea of what is served.

Lobster is served one night in the MDR, not the buffet , so if that is important to you, you would want to go there.

The MDR is also typically open for breakfast on port days and brunch on sea days. It’s not open for lunch on port days but the buffet, pizza, and other options that vary by ship are open for lunch every day.

Pizza and self-serve soft serve ice cream are free and available 24/7. Other venues have specific hours.

You can only eat in the MDR once each night and at the appointed time or if you choose your time dining any time during the dinner hours. In the MDR you can order as many items as you want (I.e 3 different entrees for one person), but if you wanted to for some reason you could eat dinner in the MDR and then again in the buffet or vice versa.

Many people enjoy the experience of the MDR. Some avoid it altogether so they can have a quicker meal at the buffet or may go to the buffet on a specific night if they are trying to make a show, don’t want to eat at their assigned time, etc.

In terms of room service as of now continental breakfast, sandwiches, salads, and desserts are free. Hot items other than sandwiches like chicken wings or pizza are $3-5 a piece. As mentioned above this may change.

Definitely ask more questions as you have them. This site is a great resource.

The Breeze is a Dream class ship. A few helpful tips off the top of my head about that kind of ship:

1. If you didn't get a spa cabin, you might want to get a day pass or week pass to the heated loungers and thalassotherapy pool  (t-pool). It's one of the best features of the ship.
  2. Depending on when you go, the aft pool might be adults only. It kind of varies week-to-week based on the clientele I guess. When we usually go there are less kids on the ship, so it's usually adults only as well as serenity.
  3. Cucina del Capitano is open for lunch (free), early in the week not everyone will realize that, so it's a good opportunity to check it out. At night, it's a paid restaurant. It's not the same menu, more of a pasta bar during the day, but worth going to.
  4. On sea days, Pig and Anchor will be free at lunch. And it might be open on embarkation day as well and people might not know it's open. Definitely check it out.
  5. A good place to watch the sail away is the "secret decks." All the way forward on some of the decks.
  6. I don't know how you are with the sun, but my wife is pretty fair skinned. So the way we handle that on Dream class ships, is to hang out on deck 5. There are hot tubs on each side of the ship and you can move from one side to the other, so you can stay in the shade if that is your thing.
  7. I know you've already got plans for Grand Turk. But if they were to fall through, our favorite thing there is to get off early and hang out at Margaritaville. They have a few umbrellas, if you get there early. And it's free to hang out and watch people fall on the FlowRider.

From a practical standpoint, since it's a surprise, make sure that your wife has a passport or proper papers. And if you're concerned about motion sickness or things like that to take some meds with you. Another good hint for that time of year, you probably want to get trip insurance. That is during hurricane season. It's when we always go, because less kids and less crowded, but be forewarned.

That's all I can think of at the moment and I don't want to overload you with too much at once.

Edited by five.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not knowing how much you already know, I'll throw these out.  The ships run on a cashless basis.  Meaning you don't use cash for anything onboard.  When you do your check in online, they will ask if you are using cash or a credit card.  (Wise not to use a debit card because they put holds on them that may take a while to disappear.)  If you are depositing cash instead of a credit card, you will deposit it once you board the ship.

Once you get to the pier, most people will keep one carry on piece of luggage with anything of value like cameras, phone cords, medicines, etc.  They turn the rest of their luggage over to the luggage handlers at the pier.  Make sure you have printed out your luggage tags because they tell the workers what cabin to deliver them to.  Most people tip the porters $1 per bag.

The cabins aren't available until usually 1:30.  Until that time, if you want to buy drinks, you use your boarding pass to purchase them.  

Once onboard, your "Sail and Sign" (S&S) cards will be in your mailbox outside of your cabin.  You and your wife will both be issued the cards.  They also are your cabin keys.  Any time you purchase something on the ship, they will ask for your card.  You will both be issued a folio number which ties it to your cash account.  On the TVs in the cabin, you can check on your account to see how much has been spent.  Your wife's account will show what she's spent.   Your account will show what both of you have spent.

Gratuities (tips) are added to your bill or you can pre-pay ahead of time.  Each person is charged $13.99 per day.  So if you are using cash to back up your account, make sure there is enough in your account to cover it.

Right before sail away, there will be a safety drill (Muster) that all passengers must attend.  Your S&S card will have on it where you are to go.  It will say something like E4.  Look on the back of your cabin door to see where E4 is.  Once they call for muster, all elevators will be shut down and you'll have to take the stairs.  They last for 15-30 minutes depending on how fast everyone shows up.  In most cases, as soon as the muster is over, the ship will be underway.  There will be a huge sail away party going on up on the Lido deck.  That's when you know you are really on a cruise.

https://www.carnival.com/help is a great place for any information on cruising with Carnival.

Enjoy your cruise and more than likely, you'll be hooked on cruising after just one.  Don't be embarrassed for asking questions.  If you have any more questions, ask away.  We've all been there once and like to share any information that we can for new cruisers. 

• Like 1

I wrote a review of the Paradise, which is a smaller class ship.  But I have lots of useful tips that apply to all the ships.  Can give you an idea of the daily activities, menu and more.  You can read it here:

First of all...welcome to the wonderfully addictive world of cruising. You will have a blast. As a fellow foodie, I can tell you it's fun taking advantage of all the food choices. Do not feel embarrassed to ask for more than one choice in the Main Dining Room. I often get two appetizers..two entres... maybe even two desserts. And you can even sometimes get a selection not on the menu that you enjoyed the night before...I've asked, and got it. They have a very rich dessert called warm chocolate melting cake...typically served with one small portion and one small vanilla ice cream. I always ordered it with two or three cakes, and two ice creams.. with a glass of milk. After a couple nights, they remember my order and ask if that's how I want it. Most MDR choices are good...some just ok...and a very few are lacking. I put the frog legs appetizer in this class...unless they have improved them since my last cruise, they are boiled or baked...not fried as us hillbillies like.. and are devoid of taste. Dont be afraid to ask. I personally like to give an extra gratuity to my MDR waiter for " putting up with me ".  The omelets served at breakfast in the omelet stations are made to order, and quite tasty. Also..if you are a soda drinker...you are allowed to carry on a 12 pack or so of cans. As for your onboard account, keep track of what you spend. A couple times, we've been charged for items or services we that weren't ours. A quick trip to the service desk will correct these mistakes....but I'd hate to pay for something I didn't get. One charge was over $70...was glad I noticed it. Surf these boards, and ask tons of questions. Many of these folks have done way more than our 8 cruises, and will give great advice. 

I have not read all the responses, but I wanted to throw a couple things in.

In regard to luggage, if you have more than one piece, and you have a small carry-on, I would take that with me.  The rest of luggage (you should already have your name/room tags on) they will deliver to your room, but sometimes it is several hours later.  The reason I say take the smaller one, you may have medicine, change of clothes that you will need before the other luggage arrives. Also, speaking of luggage.  If you have quite a bit of luggage like I do, you can slide it right under the bed, if there is not enough room in the closet.

Also, it may have already been mentioned, but if you are flying and cruising, I would take out insurance to cover this for "just in case."  I do not do this if I am just cruising, but both, I do.  It has come in handy a couple times to have the coverage.

Hi. 🙂 Welcome to the wonderfully addicting world of cruising.

When we cruise, we take the equivalent of a full medicine cabinet with us in a couple of gallon size Ziploc bags because it's cheaper than going to the ship's doctor if something minor happens.

This is a list of what we generally take:

1. A new box of Band-Aids where they have various sizes in a single box (I also usually keep some regular finger-sized ones in a small first aid kit in my purse.)

2. Motion sickness medication

3. Zantac or another acid-reducing pill

4. Mylanta 

5. Peptobismol

6. Allergy medications in both pill form (for DH and I) and liquid form (for our autistic son who can't swallow pills)

7. A 7-day pill keeper with my personal meds that I have to take each day

8. Small tube of antibiotic ointment (Neosporin or generic equivalent)

9. Small tube of Benedryl cream (again..just in case we rub up against something that makes us have allergic reactions.)

10. A couple of 4X4 squares of gauze (because you never know)

11. Toothpaste

12. NEW tooth brushes (so we can just toss them on the last day)

13. Extra hair ties (for me...I go through a lot of them since I have super thick hair and they tend to break after a half dozen uses. Boo.)

14. Cologne bottle wrapped in a sock (to help avoid breakage)

15. Deodorant

16. Sunscreen 

17. After-Sun aloe gel with lidocaine (super important if you've gotten sunburned)

18. Aspirin, ibuprofen AND Aleve (because I can't take aspirin, but DH can. We also get liquid ibuprofen for my son because he can't swallow pills. And because I have fibromyalgia, sometimes I need Aleve to deal with the aches and pains that for whatever reason, my daily pain control meds just aren't enough for)

19. Disposable razors and/or  extra blades if you have a Gillette type razor with the disposable heads

20. Travel size bottle of your shampoo, conditioner and body wash from home. They have dispensers in the shower with both shampoo and body wash...but they suck.

21. Travel size bottle of body lotion.

I know it sounds like a lot, but you're gonna wish you had it if something minor happens. You also don't want to have to pay ship's prices (which are outrageous) if you need something relatively inexpensive like acid reducers, Pepto, etc.

Edited by IPlayWithString
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, IPlayWithString said:

When we cruise, we take the equivalent of a full medicine cabinet with us in a couple of gallon size Ziploc bags because it's cheaper than going to the ship's doctor if something minor happens.

True story: last cruise my wife gets stung by a bee in her hand (stinger still in her hand) and is upset and crying. Doesn't want me to mess with it and it's starting to swell. A bunch of cruises and never even looked for the ships doctor. So we go off to look and he's not in. Get the ship nurse down there and originally that was going to be a charge, but didn't end up being one. She wasn't able to help and would have to call the ship doctor. I can't remember the cost to even make the phone call, but it was pretty high. At this point I convinced the wife that it wasn't an allergic reaction or anything. We have benadryl and tweezers, lets go take care of this ourselves. She was fine after a few minutes. So I definitely agree that it pays to be prepared for a few common ailments without having to be worried. So in addition to the above, grab some tweezers and nail clippers.

We like dermoplast spray and solarcaine for sunburn treatment.

other random things that you can take on board in a carry on include 12 cans (not bottles, but cans) of soda per person and 1 bottle of wine per person.  if you drink the wine in your room, it costs nothing extra, if you bring the bottle of wine with you to dinner, they will charge you a corkage fee to open and pour it for you. ($15) 

it's nice to have the soda/ wine option 1. because we aren't big soda drinkers, so the bubble program would go to waste and 2, because my hubs isn't a big drinker, so we wouldn't get our money's worth out of the drink package.  just throwing that out there for you since you didn't ask about it at all.  (if you buy their alcohol package, every adult in the room has to buy it. you can't just buy for one person...)

welcome to cruising, you will love it.  

and, what a lucky woman your wife is to have a hubby to plan something like this for her.  that is awesome. 

Edited by pyropoodle

In addition to what's already been mentioned, be sure to keep your documents with you when you check in and don't place them in the checked luggage or you won't be able to board.  If you don't have passports and are using birth certificates and government issued photo ID's like a DL your wife's name likely won't match the birth certificate so the marriage license may be requested also as a bridging document to substantiate the name change. 

The excursions I've arranged through the cruise line come with instructions on where  to meet and what time, as memory serves the meeting place has been in the theater, and you are told where your particular excursion is seating so you are all in one group.  Then they lead you off the ship in groups, and from there wait to board the transportation.  

7 hours ago, CanWeGoYet? said:

The excursions I've arranged through the cruise line come with instructions on where  to meet and what time, as memory serves the meeting place has been in the theater, and you are told where your particular excursion is seating so you are all in one group.  Then they lead you off the ship in groups, and from there wait to board the transportation.  

Any ship excursions that we have taken, we were always instructed to meet a guide outside the ship on the pier.  Once there, you looked for a Carnival employee holding signs with different excursions on them.  Then you checked in with them and off you went.

13 hours ago, five. said:

True story: last cruise my wife gets stung by a bee in her hand (stinger still in her hand) and is upset and crying. Doesn't want me to mess with it and it's starting to swell. A bunch of cruises and never even looked for the ships doctor. So we go off to look and he's not in. Get the ship nurse down there and originally that was going to be a charge, but didn't end up being one. She wasn't able to help and would have to call the ship doctor. I can't remember the cost to even make the phone call, but it was pretty high. At this point I convinced the wife that it wasn't an allergic reaction or anything. We have benadryl and tweezers, lets go take care of this ourselves. She was fine after a few minutes. So I definitely agree that it pays to be prepared for a few common ailments without having to be worried. So in addition to the above, grab some tweezers and nail clippers.

We like dermoplast spray and solarcaine for sunburn treatment.

Actually...with bee stings you're suppose to take a credit card (or other similar card, S&S card would've worked probably) and scrape it sideways until the stinger comes out. Pulling it out with tweezers can cause more venom to inject into the wound.

https://www.aad.org/public/skin-hair-nails/injured-skin/bug-bites-and-stings/how-to-treat-a-bee-sting

Edited by IPlayWithString
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 6:17 PM, zeph918 said:

1 - Our trip makes a stop at the Grand Turk where I have already booked a entry level snorkeling excursion.   But Im not sure how I am going to find where to go for the excursion once we dock at grand turk.   

2 - Whats the point of having a "dining time"?   I was under the impression you could eat 24/7 as much as you wanted to on a cruise (aside from obvious signature dining locations).  Part of a cruise was staying stuffed with food all the time right?  😃    Am I wrong in thinking that you can eat at any of the included diners anytime, and as often, as you would like?   

3 - Are there Ice machines that you can get access to or like a mini fridge in the rooms?   Just thinking about being out on the balcony (we have an aft balcony room) and getting thirsty.   

4- Room service is....really free?   First time cruiser so I honestly dont know.  So If I want some food or a sweet treat at 9PM I just call room service and they bring it to me all included?    This seems so foreign to me  since normally not only do you pay for the food they bring, but you also pay for the service of them bringing it to you.  

5 - How is luggage handled?    When we get off the plane with our bags, we find the transfer service.  But what then?   Im sure they will let us know but figured I would ask.   Do we carry our bags to our room right away or do they have some kind of service like an airport that does it for you or what?

1- If you booked thru Carnival when you get to your cabin. Your tickets should be waiting for you. When you get them it will tell you when and where to meet on the ticket.

2-There are places to eat 24/7 however the MDR is sit down full service. Now with 3 options. Early normally about 6pm. Late around 8:15. Or anytime which you have to stop at the booth each night and book what time you want to eat.

3-The ice machines are hidden. But if you let your room streward now you want ice they uaslly will check and refill the ice bucket when they service your cabin.

4- As of right now other then late at night room service is free. However Carnival is looking at changing that.

5- You check your bags with the porters when you arrive t the pier. We normally take one carry on with things we can not afford to lose and/or will need the first night ie: our meds with us.  Just keep in mind what you carry on you may have to keep with you till 1:30

Hope that helps

I will give you some some tips for your upcoming cruise, but first I will answer your questions.  

On 1/17/2019 at 6:17 PM, zeph918 said:

1. Normally you will do one of two things depending on your excursion: (1) You will meet your entire excursion group on the ship at a specific time at a public venue such as the MDR or Theater or (2) You will get off the ship on your own and go to a "plaza"-like place directly after the dock and find a person holding up a sign with your excursion name and go with them.  Everything will be explained on ht ship and if you still are unsure, then you can go to an information session about the port and/or excursions in ht theater which normally takes place the morning before the day of the port with the CD (cruise director).  

2.  The dining time is specific to the MDR (main dining room).  The MDR is a full 3-course sit-down dining experience.  There are three time options early (6ish), late (8:15ish), and my-time.  My-time dining is like land where you show up whenever you want to eat and they will sit you at a table based on availability.  This option is more flexible.  Early and late dining are set-time dining.  Meaning, you will be at the same table and have the same wait staff every night.  In set-time dining, it is more common to see waiters dancing on tables in costumes to music while everyone is waving their napkin in the air.  This could happen during My-time, but it hit or miss.  Set-Dining also evolves around shows.  Meaning, if you have early dining, there will be a show after your dining time whereas if you have late dining the show will be before your diner.  With My-time dining is is easier to miss shows due to when you at and how long it takes for you to eat.  

All other dining venues save the specialty restaurants (I will explain those in a moment) are included with your cruising fare and when they are open depends on the venue.  On Breeze, the included venues are Pizza Pirate (pizza, open 24-hours), Guy's Burger Joint (burgers and fries, open during lunch), Blue Iguana Cantina (tacos and burritos, open breakfast- breakfast burritos- and lunch), Guy's Pig and Anchor Bar-B-Que (Bar-B-Que, open sea day lunch and embarkation day), Mongolian Wok (custom stir-fry, open lunch), Caption's Pasta Bar (custom pasta dishes, open lunch- this turns into a for-fee specialty Italian restaurant at night, different menu), Lido Marketplace (lido-deck buffet, open breakfast, lunch, and dinner), and the MDR (explained above, but breakfast, brunch, and lunch are on a walk-in basis).

Specialty restaurants are for-fee restaurants.  Those on the Breeze are Cucina Del Capitano (Italian, $15), Fahrenheit 555 (Steakhouse, $38), Bonsai Sushi (Sushi, a-la-carte), Seafood Shack (fresh seafood, a-la-carte), and Chef's Table (a sampling menu with the chef explaining everything about Galley and you get a galley-tour as well, this is in a very intimate group or 14, price varies by ship but I have done it for at the lowest $75 and at the highest $95).  

On embarkation day, I would recommend going to either Caption's Pasta Bar (Cucian Del Capitano, Deck 11 Aft) or Pig and Anchor (Dark 5, Mid-ship-Aft on Lanai) as these options are less crowded as not may people know about them.  Redo Marketplace Buffet is going to be packed which is not fun.  

3. There are mini-fridges in staterooms on Breeze.  You can ask your steward for an ice bucket.  Can get ice at Lido Marketplace.

4. Room service is currently included for sandwiches, salads, deserts, and continental breakfast and is a small charge for hot items.  They just undid their action of making everything for-fee de to customer complaints, but they are editing it so it is subject to change broker your cruise.  

5. Luggage will be given to a porter upon your arrival to the port.  They will be competing for tips, just a warning.  The luggage is then send to the hallway outside of your room by dinner-time-ish.  

Here are other tips not mentioned above for Breeze that are on the top of my head:

1. The lanai is around deck 5 and is a really nice place to take a walk, sit and look at the ocean, etc.  There are also hot-tubs don here that are less-crowded.

2. Bring collapsible storage bins or hanging shelfs for extra storage 

3. In the MDR, you MUST get the Carnival Warm melting Chocolate Cake.  It is AMAZING.  If you don't have a nut allergy or anything, be sure to get it with peanut butter.  One of the formal nights is also lobster night.

4. On Dream class ships, decks 6-11, save 8, have sundecks all the way forward above/below the bridge.  Pretend you are going to a forward stateroom on these decks and open the unlabeled door at the end of the hall.  (The perfect spot for sail aways)

5. If you want a sampling of entrees from the MDR, they can make pasta dishes in half portions so you don't waste as much food.  In the MDR, you can also get as many appetizers, entrees, and deserts as you wish.  Your waiter won't give you a look if you do so, as everyone does it, so don't worry. 

6. Mix the soft serve, milk, and crushed cookie to make your own milkshake 

7. Use an old card on the light thing in your room so that you don't need to worry about taking anything in and out of it or forgetting you sail and sign card

8.You can get other ice cream flavors and multiple scoops with the melting cake

9. Make your own fondue by getting the fruit plate with the melting cake.

Enjoy your cruise!  Hope I was helpful!

Edited by Allura_317

Thanks all.   This info was very helpful.   How do I know which nights are elegant nights?  I don't see a calendar or anything but it may be too far away still.   I'm assuming elegant night applies to the MDR as well as the signature dining places correct?   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zeph918 said:

Thanks all.   This info was very helpful.   How do I know which nights are elegant nights?  I don't see a calendar or anything but it may be too far away still.   I'm assuming elegant night applies to the MDR as well as the signature dining places correct?   

Correct.  The first Elegant Night is the second night (first Sea Day) and the second will be in the Fun Times (daily schedule) which will be left in your stateroom the night before.  While the dress code is rarely and barely enforced in the MDR, it almost always in the signature dining places,