Safety in Cozumel

LLKC

I will be on the Oasis stopping in Cozumel. Is it safe to get off the ship and take a tour with one of the taxi drivers ( my husband and myself) ? Is it safe to walk around outside the port? Should we stay with ship tours? 

We’ve been to Cozumel numerous times and never had an issue.  The taxi industry on Cozumel is regulated with set prices, I would not hesitate to do that.  If you’re concerns remain, there are several private companies for tours that come recommended on here.

in all our visits we have never done an excursion through the ship and never felt unsafe both on excursions and just walking around town.  Yes, crime does occasionally happen but no more so than where I’m at here in Florida.  Enjoy and have a great time it’s a wonderful port with lots to do. 

• Like 1

Claimed is very safe and hosts and of thousands of cruisers very week.  Cabs are fairly well regulated (unlike the crooks in Philly) and the water and food at the popular tourist attractions is safe.  Unless your Spanish is a lot better than mine you might have some issues with some of the drivers.  Black Hat, Your Plaza and others can arrange for a driver with reasonable English for your island tour.

Have a great cruise! 😎

Have a great cruise. I find it safe enough to keep going back for land-based vacations yearly now. Like JohninDC says the taxis are fairly well regulated but there are dishonest people everywhere. Just make sure to tell the cab driver where you want to go, what you want to do and get a price - both ways/wait times included. Last Summer, for instance, we wanted to see the Eastern side of the island and eat lunch at Coconuts. We hired a taxi to take us over there and wait while we ate lunch and shopped at some of the little stands there and along the way. 

Also, consider the govt travel warning levels. I believe Cozumel is at a 2, which means Excercise Increased Caution. You will find many popular European travel destinations with the same warning.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that Cozumel is super safe and we have never had any trouble with any cab drivers, or renting a car for the day and exploring the island on our own. That being said, just be aware of your surroundings, just like you should be no matter where you are.

Edited by h_blond2