Formal NIghts on an Alaskan Cruise

cormike1

We are doing a 7-day Alaskan cruise in May on the Volendam.  Are there still 2 formal nights on a 7-day and how dressy do the men have to be.  My husband really doesn't want to pack a jacket but we like eating in the DR for our dinner.  Would a long sleeved shirt cut it?

I wonder if I can ask a similar question?  Not about dress code, but I'm wondering how they can fit 2 Gala nights into our 7-day South bound Land/Sea Alaska cruise.  Just trying to plan accordingly.

We have one sea day (2nd day) and one scenic cruising day the day before we debark (and we all know they don't have Gala nights the last night of the cruise).  Other than that, 6:00 pm is the earliest we leave port.  It's been a long time since we've done a 7-day cruise, I'm hoping someone knows if we'll have just the one Gala night on our sea day, or if they might try to squeeze another one in.  

On my last Alaska cruise, for Gala Nights, a very large percentage of the men wore jackets, most not all with ties, a few military showed up in their dress uniforms, and a few wore tuxedo's.  That being said the staff rarely enforces the rules, one table of 6 wore T-shirts and jeans.  Also on this cruise, one couple decided all of us in the Lido would impressed with how fine they looked in their bath robes.  Bottom line is dress how you want, nobody cares, we are never going to see you again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I wonder if I can ask a similar question?  Not about dress code, but I'm wondering how they can fit 2 Gala nights into our 7-day South bound Land/Sea Alaska cruise.  Just trying to plan accordingly.

We have one sea day (2nd day) and one scenic cruising day the day before we debark (and we all know they don't have Gala nights the last night of the cruise).  Other than that, 6:00 pm is the earliest we leave port.  It's been a long time since we've done a 7-day cruise, I'm hoping someone knows if we'll have just the one Gala night on our sea day, or if they might try to squeeze another one in.  

They will probably try to squeeze a second Gala night on night 5 (the 6:00 pm departure).   With a 6:00 pm departure, all aboard would be 5:30 pm, which would give most people enough time to get to dinner.

6 minutes ago, towhee said:

They will probably try to squeeze a second Gala night on night 5 (the 6:00 pm departure).   With a 6:00 pm departure, all aboard would be 5:30 pm, which would give most people enough time to get to dinner.

Thank you for responding.  I agree that if we have 2 Gala nights that would be the most likely choice.   For those with early dining and a full day in Juneau it won't be easy, but those with later dining should have no problem.

54 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you for responding.  I agree that if we have 2 Gala nights that would be the most likely choice.   For those with early dining and a full day in Juneau it won't be easy, but those with later dining should have no problem.

Or if you have anytime dining you can enter the MDR anytime between 5:30 and 8:00. May will be much cooler in the evenings so a coat wouldn't be out of place.

After being told no one dresses up for Alaska cruises, we were pleasantly surprised how many men were wearing dark suits, jackets and even tuxes on our last 14 day Alaska cruise (Zaandam). Most women were dressed up, so this may have had an effect on  their partners. However anything close to the guidelines will let you in the door. It is all up to you. 

Guys should take this word of advice.  It is the very rare woman who does not want to dress up, when they get the chance.  She may tolerate your "casual" protestations, but don't think for a moment she likes it.  Do yourself a favor, take at least a tie and a jacket, and let her show off.

• Like 1