Netflix

dam64

If you download a Netflix movie on to your iPad before going on the cruise, you can watch the movie on your iPad without WiFi.  Not all movies are available.  Netflix tells you which ones are available for download.  To download you need WiFi, but after downloading, you can watch them offline.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We took our Amazon Firestick on our last cruise on Freedom (Sept) B2B out of San Juan and watched our Netflix on the in cabin TV.  Our son was able to do the same on his Navigator cruise out of South Hampton. We have read (CC) of many other's being able to do this on several other RCI ships and YouTube video's on just how to do it. Hoping to be able to do the same when we cruise Vision this May out of Barcelona. We enjoy watching movies in our cabin in the evening.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

We took our Amazon Firestick on our last cruise on Freedom (Sept) B2B out of San Juan and watched our Netflix on the in cabin TV.  Our son was able to do the same on his Navigator cruise out of South Hampton. We have read (CC) of many other's being able to do this on several other RCI ships and YouTube video's on just how to do it. Hoping to be able to do the same when we cruise Vision this May out of Barcelona. We enjoy watching movies in our cabin in the evening.

So 

got no idea what a firestick is ,a weapon of some description.LOL

so you pay to go on a cruise and you have to watch movies on your iPad.

why can’t RC give you half decent I room entertainment????

am I missing something here.

A fire stick is a USB device here in the UK , linked to an Amazon account that streams films etc  & Netflix ( if you have an account) TBH we only usually have the tv on when we are showering ( waiting for each other) but I was thinking of taking it on our Asia cruise in case there are no English channels ? 

I have been on cruises where the tv in the room has news, sport and finance channels but the general drama channel is the same 6-8 hours of programming for the entire cruise. If you switch to the other language channels then it is the same episodes but in a different languages. When they do it they really like using episode one (and sometimes two) of a season.

On the Ovation in Asia, Australia and New Zealand I found that "Surf and Stream" is not quite good enough to stream but both it and the Surf package are good enough for downloading to a table. It came in useful when I was sick and stayed in my room for the better part of 4 days.

The IP address on the ship will probably be a US IP address. When we were in England last summer, we could not use any of our streaming services (Pandora, Amazon, etc) that required a US address. Once we got on the ship and were using Voom, the services all thought we were in the US because of the IP address and we were able to watch shows and listen to music. 

VPN. 😄

I think that Royal blocks VPNs, but on land, you can use one so that your IP address is a US one (or any other country).

I use Express VPN and Strong VPN.  Various ones work better in various countries.

Yeah I just got off Ovation from Sydney to the South Pacific, I tried using my VPN (Vypr) on my laptop and it wouldn't connect, however it worked on my phone for some reason. I think normally sites thought I was from the US, although I was getting some adds in Dutch and German 

On 1/19/2019 at 7:33 PM, MrCruzdoggie said:

Lets see, pay a billion dollars to go on a cruise. Then I need to be entertained by something else..........Damn I'm getting old .  

Ancient would be more appropriate.

I'm late 60's and even i see the benefit of relaxing to a movie of my choice via Netflix of one of the other service when on board on vacation.  Not sure my face is in the phone always like my kids and grand kids, but i can live with it.  Of course i wasn't already reading or able to decipher complex words at kindergarten level either, like my grand daughter.  Though sometime she isn't sure what the mean yet (came in today and asked me what Error was , came from her I-pad).

Sorry if I offended you, but even i have had to learn you don't talk to your children on the phone any longer, you text them, good bad or indifferent, we still have frequent contact and that equals a relationship

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 2:56 AM, Chiliburn said:

So 

got no idea what a firestick is ,a weapon of some description.LOL

so you pay to go on a cruise and you have to watch movies on your iPad.

why can’t RC give you half decent I room entertainment????

am I missing something here.

Holland America replays movies shown on the big screen the next day on cabin TVs. I wish Royal would do the same - I don’t understand why they don’t. We missed many movies that I’d love to have seen bc I didn’t want to sit outside in the heat.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 8:33 PM, MrCruzdoggie said:

Lets see, pay a billion dollars to go on a cruise. Then I need to be entertained by something else..........Damn I'm getting old .  

Not only are you getting old .... but you're grossly overpaying for your cruise! 😱😉

• Like 2

Years ago, work took me to the Costa del Sol in Spain, in the area of Fuengrilo.

Overall, I was in Spain for about 3 weeks, so my ex and a friend of ours came over to join me.

So we get to Fuengrilo, and we have gotten, somewhat, used to Spanish dinner times (8PM is considered EARLY there), and go out for some food.  3/4 of the restaurants are closed already.

And every other establishment is a British Pub, with British beer, and pub food, and English Premier League football (the one with the ROUND ball) on the telly.

It turns out, this area is where a lot of Brits go for holiday.  So they spend a lot of money to go to the south of Spain, and do exactly what they did at home, go to the pub, drink British beer and watch football on the telly.

I guess it works for them.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, YlangYlangF9PB3E said:

Holland America replays movies shown on the big screen the next day on cabin TVs. I wish Royal would do the same - I don’t understand why they don’t. We missed many movies that I’d love to have seen bc I didn’t want to sit outside in the heat.

Years ago RCI did this exact same thing...but once they added the pay movies ($12.00 YIKES) they no longer do. 

Having our Amazon Firestick worked great hoping it will when we cruise in May to Med/Greece. Our youngest son sailed on Navigator from South Hampton last year and his worked also. Being able to relax in your cabin at the end of a busy day watching a movie is something we enjoy.

We are also from Canada - We cruised on Harmony of the Seas a few weeks ago.  I was able to watch Netflix on my phone using the RC wifi no problem.  It was Canadian Netflix same as at home.  We also have Rogers Ignite - I was NOT able to watch anything live or recorded using the Rogers Ignite app.

Hope that helps!

22 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Years ago RCI did this exact same thing...but once they added the pay movies ($12.00 YIKES) they no longer do. 

Having our Amazon Firestick worked great hoping it will when we cruise in May to Med/Greece. Our youngest son sailed on Navigator from South Hampton last year and his worked also. Being able to relax in your cabin at the end of a busy day watching a movie is something we enjoy.

Do you need to bring a special cable or anything for this?

• 7 months later...