How far from port to Cologne Old Town?

frites

Hello, 

I'm taking an AMA Waterways Rhine River cruise.  I was thinking of going into Cologne on my own instead of the offered city tour because I'd rather get in some museums and shop for chocolates.  Can I easily get into town on my own or does the ship have free shuttle service?  How much time does it take to ride in?

Thank you for your help.

You can always begin with the AMA tour to get into town then tell the guide that you are going off on your own. They will tell you where and when to meet the bus back to the ship, if it's too far for you to walk.

• Like 1

frites,

you have had great helpful answers from past cruisers, but perhaps this map can add to it to get your bearings as regards the Cologne embankment. It is from the website of a German river cruise company: https://www.1avista.de/media/pdf/Dokument0-584-1.pdf

Fletch apparently docked at 0 with Viking at the Northern most place. It looks as if AmaWaterways docks at either 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12 or 13. Perhaps a past cruiser recognizes their space on the map. While 0 is a way out and I would recommend the tram to save time (or a shuttle) the others are close enough for a nice walk.

By the way, the chocolate museum has a focus on Lindt chocolate, a Swiss brand and to a lesser degree on Hussel, a German sweets manufacturer. The exhibition is all-encompassing history but I do not know how much space or scope is provided for other brands (I have not been in myself). An article by chocolate enthusiasts from 2012 says that there is not too much marketing for Lindt or Hussel. The chocolate that can be made hands-on style by visitors is Lindt. The shop offers goodies by Lindt and Hussel.

In any case, it is a very popular, top-rated museum.

notamermaid

Viking bused us in as they ported a bit out of the town center.  We stayed on to do the chocolate museum and others on our own.  It was a nice 15 walk to return.  You could have caught a bus but we enjoyed the riverfront jaunt

• 4 weeks later...

Both times we were on Avalon in Cologne and were no more than a 10 minutes or so walk from the cathedral.  It was awesome!  We arrived one evening and spent time in town on our own, then  a walking tour was offered the next morning.