Amber Cove port

ZBart47

When we were there we took the princess excursion called Outback Dominican adventure with lunch. The folks in our group really enjoyed this tour. One of the highlights was stopping at a local school to see the kids... they were very enthusiastic and swarmed some of the ladies in our group for a photo op. 

It was a nice way to see some of the island. 

We will be there next week and are doing a private tour of Puerto Plata.  It is through Isaira tours.  The tour includes a cable car ride to Mountain Isabel, rum factory, chocolate factory, Amber museum, and San Felipe fortress.  We will review the tour after we return.

Dennis

There are quite a few tours offered by the ship along with private tours.  Simply staying in the port area can be interesting with the large pool, small zip line, food and drink available etc.  Carnival did a good job building this port with a lot of interesting activities available.  I cannot imagine staying on the ship with this entertainment readily available.  

22 hours ago, ZBart47 said:

What's to do at AmberCove?

We were there in September. I've copied and pasted part of my blog from that Amber Cove day down below. Hope you find it helpful.

Hello from Amber Cove! First time in the Dominican Republic for us. Woo hoo! We love visiting places we've been to multiple times and we also like exploring new places. But hubby is still down and had to stay on the ship so I didn't venture far by myself. I did wander around the port area.

IMG_4580.JPG
IMG_4600.JPG

I sure wish I had worn my swimsuit. While there is no beach nearby, pools in the port area were just gorgeous.

IMG_3055.JPG
IMG_4592.JPG
With plenty of empty seats. 
IMG_4587.JPG

I grabbed some lunch at the Coco Cana Lounge. Here is their menu.
IMG_3060.JPG
IMG_3061.JPG
IMG_3062.JPG

For someone who wanted to spend a whole bunch of money (like over $1000) they had overwater bungalows. The water didn't look that clear, though.

IMG_4581.JPG

And for those needing a ride to or from the ship, they had plenty of pedicabs. Drivers work for tips.

IMG_3069.JPG
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Travelw said:

We will be there next week and are doing a private tour of Puerto Plata.  It is through Isaira tours.  The tour includes a cable car ride to Mountain Isabel, rum factory, chocolate factory, Amber museum, and San Felipe fortress.  We will review the tour after we return.

Dennis

I have been to the Puerto Plata area several times. This tour sounds like the best I have heard of. I wish I were taking this tour with you. Enjoy and have a great time.

We were there in September. I've copied and pasted part of my blog from that Amber Cove day down below. Hope you find it helpful.

Hello from Amber Cove! First time in the Dominican Republic for us. Woo hoo! We love visiting places we've been to multiple times and we also like exploring new places. But hubby is still down and had to stay on the ship so I didn't venture far by myself. I did wander around the port area.

IMG_4580.JPG
IMG_4600.JPG

I sure wish I had worn my swimsuit. While there is no beach nearby, pools in the port area were just gorgeous.

IMG_3055.JPG
IMG_4592.JPG
With plenty of empty seats. 
IMG_4587.JPG

I grabbed some lunch at the Coco Cana Lounge. Here is their menu.
IMG_3060.JPG
IMG_3061.JPG
IMG_3062.JPG

For someone who wanted to spend a whole bunch of money (like over $1000) they had overwater bungalows. The water didn't look that clear, though.

IMG_4581.JPG

And for those needing a ride to or from the ship, they had plenty of pedicabs. Drivers work for tips.

IMG_3069.JPG

Thanks for posting this information . The pedicabs are great for us . The alcohol drinks & food cost  seem pricy ;but ,hey that is probably how they can afford  taking care of the pools ie  for a very nice relaxing day  .well worth visiting imo :classic_biggrin:

Looks to be similar to the "port" of Costa Maya, Grand Turk, etc.; i.e. built by Carnival Corp.  However, we've seen Jeff Irwin (TV guy who has/had a weekly show going on different cruises) do a show where he stopped at Amber Cover.  He did a excursion into the jungle as I recall, possibly into a cave as well.  He usually does his own thing in each port; i.e. doesn't take a Princess excursion, so don't know if something like this would be available.