Medallion update

cruisingrob21

2 minutes ago, 1965 said:

Can someone share how medallion works boarding & leaving ship? Thanks.

From what I have read on these threads.  The medallion has all your personal info stored in it; to include a photo of you.  It is used to get on and off the ship;  as you walk off your medallion is scanned by a electronic scanner and up pops your picture for security officers.  Same as when you would scan your cruise card; it also will unlock you cabin door as you approach your cabin; and it will be used to order drinks at the bar, buy gifts in the stores, etc

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

From what I have read on these threads.  The medallion has all your personal info stored in it; to include a photo of you.  It is used to get on and off the ship;  as you walk off your medallion is scanned by a electronic scanner and up pops your picture for security officers.  Same as when you would scan your cruise card; it also will unlock you cabin door as you approach your cabin; and it will be used to order drinks at the bar, buy gifts in the stores, etc

All that is stored on the actual medallion is a unique ID code. Nothing else. The ship's computer system has your personal info and it is associated with the ID code of the medallion. If your medallion is lost or stolen, your information is not in the possession of the finder or thief.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, beg3yrs said:

All that is stored on the actual medallion is a unique ID code. Nothing else. The ship's computer system has your personal info and it is associated with the ID code of the medallion. If your medallion is lost or stolen, your information is not in the possession of the finder or thief.

Yup that would be correct. I love technology.  A microchip that stores all our info.  

Quick question: Downloaded the Ocean Ready app, set up initial info, tried to add reservation and it said it couldn't link name to booking #. Does the booking need to be paid in full before, and is there a within day of cruise you can add reservation? 

1 hour ago, CC Rider 69 said:

Quick question: Downloaded the Ocean Ready app, set up initial info, tried to add reservation and it said it couldn't link name to booking #. Does the booking need to be paid in full before, and is there a within day of cruise you can add reservation? 

Where did you find the Ocean Ready app?

I just downloaded it and tried to set up a profile...it failed...not sure how it can fail when all it asked for was my name, email and a password......not sure what it is trying to compare to but I used the exact same info I have for the princess site.  We will be on the Royal this November and according to notice we should have the medallion......oh well...

6 hours ago, kevey said:

Hi there.  Will be on the CB this fall and shall be our first cruise at Platinum level - will we still have to pay for the Medallion.net Wifi once we exceed our 'free' minutes each ?   

Yes - you have to pay for minutes in excess of the free ones.  Just off the CB.  As I recall, my hubby did the free minutes and I upgraded to unlimited (one device at a time) for about $70 on the 10 day cruise.  I can't remember exactly, but I don't think we got the option of adding additional time (at a set rate) when we first logged in.

Medallion.net is so much faster than the old wifi -- not land quality, but at least you can open a web page in less than 5 minutes!!  😄

11 hours ago, AF-1 said:

From what I have read on these threads.  The medallion has all your personal info stored in it; to include a photo of you.  

Apologies. Asked and answered.

Edited by Nightrythm
Someone else answered.

We are booked on the 33-night Royal leaving next weekend. However, they are only selling the 14-night Medallion in the Cruise Personalizer online.  Do they offer extensions normally for the longer cruises (such as once onboard to extend to) or do you have to purchase multiple packages? I need to be connected / available for work and check in. (Or can I just hope it is titled 14 nights but actually sold for the duration of the cruise booked?)

20 minutes ago, MandyGirl said:

We are booked on the 33-night Royal leaving next weekend. However, they are only selling the 14-night Medallion in the Cruise Personalizer online.  Do they offer extensions normally for the longer cruises (such as once onboard to extend to) or do you have to purchase multiple packages? I need to be connected / available for work and check in. (Or can I just hope it is titled 14 nights but actually sold for the duration of the cruise booked?)

I’m on the 49 night Royal cruise and when I go to Personalizer it doesn’t show anything about MedallionNet. May I ask how much are they selling the 14 night MedallionNet for?  Thanks!

1 minute ago, KimCHouston said:

I’m on the 49 night Royal cruise and when I go to Personalizer it doesn’t show anything about MedallionNet. May I ask how much are they selling the 14 night MedallionNet for?  Thanks!

It was showing $99. It did not show the 14 until clicking through some, and was listed just above the Minute options.

3 minutes ago, MandyGirl said:

It was showing $99. It did not show the 14 until clicking through some, and was listed just above the Minute options.

Thanks.  I’m sure hoping it will be a somewhat reasonable cost for the whole cruise.   Right now mine just shows the regular old internet minutes.  I’ll keep looking!

3 minutes ago, MandyGirl said:

Thanks.  I’m sure hoping it will be a somewhat reasonable cost for the whole cruise.   Right now mine just shows the regular old internet minutes.  I’ll keep looking!

6 hours ago, CC Rider 69 said:

I just talked to Princess rep, my cruise was too far out. Once it gets closer and is PIF my info can be downloaded.

Our cruise is a little over a week away.  When I  get to the section to add our reservation (booking) the Ocean Ready app tells me "your reservation wasn't found.  Please recheck your legal name and reservation number and try again".    

I'll give Princess a call in the morning.  I'm wondering if the problem is that Royal Princess isn't 100% medallion ready.

9 minutes ago, I object 2 said:

Our cruise is a little over a week away.  When I  get to the section to add our reservation (booking) the Ocean Ready app tells me "your reservation wasn't found.  Please recheck your legal name and reservation number and try again".    

I'll give Princess a call in the morning.  I'm wondering if the problem is that Royal Princess isn't 100% medallion ready.

It’s confusing because MedallionNet is different from the medallion that opens your cabin door, etc..  MedallionNet is the fast new Wi-Fi that is being installed on the ships.  Royal just got that this week.  From what I’ve heard, Royal probably won’t be ready for the medallions (and Ocean Ready app) until April.  At least that is my understanding.

• Like 1