February cruise out of Los Angeles - Outfits?

Mahzish

Hello! I've googled and searched the forums, but I haven't been able to get a definitive answer, as to what to pack for a cruise in February from LA. I've done Caribbean cruises in winter and spring (where only summer clothing was needed), but never cruised the west coast. It's 5 nights, with 2 sea days and a day in Mexico (and one formal night). We fly in the night before and leave the day we get back. From what I read, it can be a tad chilly leaving/coming into LA and on the sea days, but will be warmer in Cabo. Really confused about what kinds of clothes to pack.

This is what I'm thinking:

1. A couple of light cardigans, a light hoodie, and a denim jacket as top layers. Do I need a proper jacket and/or a warm shawl? 

2. A pair of dark wash jeggings, black dress pants or black jeggings (that I could wear for dinners), a pair of light capri khakis, and workout pants.

3. Two maxi dresses that can be worn either with the denim jacket or a cardigan. (Would it be too chilly to wear a maxi dress/sandals on embarkation day in LA? I can't imagine wearing a maxi dress in winter where I live.)

4. Two to three casual t-shirts, a couple of dressier tops for dinners.

(Plus swim wear and a formal - chiffon printed long maxi dress in a pastel colour.)

Shoes: I'd like to take as few as possible, but based on the above outfits, I'm having to take 5. 

1. A pair of sketchers/walking shoes (for airplane to and from, as well as, any excursions, and workout)

2. White flat strappy sandals to wear with maxi dresses.

3. Flip flops 

4. Jewel embellished strappy sandals in light gold

5. Black peep toe wedges for dinners (when I wear black pants)

I'm finding the shoes to be excessive. Any tips on what to cut down? And any other suggestions/changes for clothes?

Thanks!

Edited by Mahzish

Lot of things for 5 days (& I tend to overpack). I agree with the others on the 3 pairs of shoes. One cardigan, match it to your dresses.  the denim jacket (if you wear it on the plane) or the hoodie not both. Bathing suit & coverup. Jeggings (only if you wear on plane), Cabo is hot. Maxi dresses & 2 casual outfits. I could do that in a carryon (boy would my DH love that!  One thing I’ve found invaluable is a packable down hooded jacket with its own stuff sack. They don’t weigh anything & are great for late night walks on the deck when it’s windy. 

I'm assuming the gold sandals are for evenings, meaning you have 3 pair of shoes for evenings?  If so, it's too many for a 5 day cruise.  Can you coordinate evening tops so that you can take either the gold jeweled sandals or the black wedges but not both?   Or do you have a pair of nude colored wedge sandals that might work for all 5 evenings?

If the fancy gold sandals are flat, and just a dressier daytime shoe, eliminate them altogether and just wear the Skechers or flip flops during the day.  

February is usually cool here in SoCal - 50-60s. However, it CAN be warm if the Santa Anna winds occur. Today, for example, it is sunny and 71 so you never know. I’d check the forecast before you leave to help you decide. It will be cool and windy on your first and last sea day, especially on the way back to LA. We wore jeans and sweatshirts. Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the suggestions and tips.

I cut out a few of the clothing items. I'm also leaving my white daytime sandals. So it's black wedges and gold heels for evening, and flip flops and a pair of running shoes that I'll be wearing on the plane (and for excursions/workouts/cold sea days). I know I should only take one pair of evening shoes, but I can't seem to coordinate all my outfits with one pair. 

I was able to fit everything in my carry on! But now I'm having trouble packing all my toiletries and liquid/cream/gel makeup items into one quart size ziplock. 😉 

It's -25 where I am, so LA's low 60s will be summer for me...haha! Dying for some Cabo heat though. 

• Like 1