Taking snacks onboard and then off at ports... allowed?

Vagabond Knight

It isn't so much what Celebrity allows, it's what the country you are visiting allows.  MOST places will allow you to bring commercially prepared, pre-packaged, sealed snacks such as granola bars, trail mix, etc.  in their unopened original packaging.  No fresh fruit, no sandwiches from the ship, no cookies from the ship, basically, nothing from the ship's kitchen.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SunsetPoint said:

Does Celebrity allow passengers to bring packaged snacks onboard and then take them ashore at ports?  We have some excursions planned that don't include lunch, but that are timed such that I'll probably chew off someone's arm if I don't have a snack with me.

No problem anywhere except in US ports.

16 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

No problem anywhere except in US ports.

While I can't remember the ports (we do a lot of travel), there are some where there are cute little dogs being held on a leash as passengers pass.  Trust me...you do NOT want to be carrying meat or fruit past one of those cute little dogs.  There will be notices on the ship about those ports....probably a good idea to follow those notices.  Pre-packaged, sealed items are almost always OK although I don't recommend carrying meat of any kind into the US (from personal experience)

This is not limited to US ports..... 

Packaged, unopened snack items are fine in most ports, but I believe they are not allowed in Australia -- remember reading stories here on CC who got pulled aside for carrying something; they are quite serious about it.

It all depends on local regulations. 

The simplest solution would be to buy something to eat while ashore, ie buy ashore and eat ashore.

If you want to take food from the ship you can only do so in accordance with local quarantine regulations.  In major ports it might be possible to declare an item and have it inspected by a quarantine official but in minor ports there will probably be a total prohibition.

Check the web for quarantine information from the country you are visiting.

5 hours ago, ghstudio said:

While I can't remember the ports (we do a lot of travel), there are some where there are cute little dogs being held on a leash as passengers pass.  Trust me...you do NOT want to be carrying meat or fruit past one of those cute little dogs.  There will be notices on the ship about those ports....probably a good idea to follow those notices.  Pre-packaged, sealed items are almost always OK although I don't recommend carrying meat of any kind into the US (from personal experience)

This is not limited to US ports..... 

Of course guests should heed the notices posted on the ship regarding comestibles that are prohibited from being taken off the ship. The OP was asking about pre-packaged, sealed items that I assumed (yes I know that could be problematic) did not contain meat or fruit. On prior cruises we have packed pre-packaged items such as granola bars or biscotti in our luggage and taken them off the ship at some ports to be eaten on shore excursions. I would never take food prepared on the ship, off the ship, period.

Edited by C-Dragons

I take gluten free prepackaged protein bars, cookies, crackers, etc, on every cruise and flight.  Have had no issue anywhere.  On long B2Bs, I devote 1/2 checked bag to them.

Need them for day trips because oftentimes I/tour operator can't find any GF options.  Blood sugar would be an issue without.  Ditto on flights.