Advice re Carnival

babs135

As you will see from my signature our favourite cruise line is Cunard, but we have sailed other lines including NCL Breakaway which we absolutely loved.  Rightly or wrongly my impression of Carnival ships is of having a reputation for 'being a bit over the top' and I'd like to know if this refers to all cruises or just the shorter ones/itinerary?  We're no party poopers and will join in with activities, but don't want it 'in our faces'.  We also like quiet places during the day where we can simply read and just enjoy our surroundings.  

Am I going to be disappointed or pleasantly surprised by your replies?

We are looking at a Panama Canal cruise on either the Legend or the Freedom : which would you suggest and why?

Thanks in advance.

We both know longer cruises like the PC draw way less children and a much older crowd. I wouldn’t be concerned about anything being over the top for you on PC cruise, Carnival or not. No worries ....A three day booze cruise would be a different story. 

• Like 1

We take our kids on carnival and my husband is up tight.  Ha ha. 

The main pool deck is the main area where it can crazy/fun.   We enjoy some of it.  When we need a break from that we go to the aft pool.  That area is quieter.  Or they have the serenity decks (adults only) which are quiet.   Panama canal cruises tend to be a calmer crowd I would think.

I have been on 4 Carnival cruises so far. Even some short ones. From what I read on the internet, I expected loud frat parties, bodies in the hallway, puke everywhere. I have experienced none of that. Surprisingly, the crowd has mostly been 40+ and keeps to themselves. Granted, I have never gone during spring break or summer. I refuse to.

There are plenty of nice quiet spots to read. I would recommend the Serenity area, or maybe you want a balcony room.

I have cruised on various lines and find that Carnival ships have quite a lot of public space both inside and out, comparatively speaking. As another poster mentions, around the pool it can be lively (actually rather fun, if you are in the mood for that). But if you want a quiet place in the sun or in the shade, there are lounge chairs all over the various decks, aft and up top, and a few on the outdoor promenade deck adjacent to the lobby level. The aft pool area is quiet, as are the Serenity decks. Inside there are also plentiful public areas to sit an enjoy the surroundings. And the longer the cruise, the fewer children and generally older the crowd.

31 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

We both know longer cruises like the PC draw way less children and a much older crowd. I wouldn’t be concerned about anything being over the top for you on PC cruise, Carnival or not. No worries ....A three day booze cruise would be a different story. 

The 3 day weekend cruises are "booze cruises" on all cruise lines.

I'm a raging introvert that has no problem finding a quiet space that makes me happy on Carnival.  They include the aft pool, which I have always found to be mellow, and I'll swim there at night, usually by myself watching the stars, sometime between 6PM and 8PM.  Then there's also the Serenity Deck, which is usually quiet.  But, I have to admit, the first sea day I'm usually planted all day by the main pool watching the people and the goofy fun.  I'll also find the one or two music varieties I like and follow those performers around to the different spaces.  The Alchemy Bar is a favorite spot of mine and usually lower key.

The shorter the cruise, the more likely it is to be a "party" atmosphere.  Given the itinerary you are talking about, and the length of the cruise, I don't think that's going to be an issue.  There will be FUN going on everywhere, but there are tons of quiet places on the ship (those are my favorite places).  The Serenity Deck is 21+, but is not guaranteed to be "quiet."  There are often loungers on the decks that go around the outside of the ship ... those are your really quiet spots.  

59 minutes ago, babs135 said:

As you will see from my signature our favourite cruise line is Cunard, but we have sailed other lines including NCL Breakaway which we absolutely loved.  Rightly or wrongly my impression of Carnival ships is of having a reputation for 'being a bit over the top' and I'd like to know if this refers to all cruises or just the shorter ones/itinerary?  We're no party poopers and will join in with activities, but don't want it 'in our faces'.  We also like quiet places during the day where we can simply read and just enjoy our surroundings.  

Am I going to be disappointed or pleasantly surprised by your replies?

We are looking at a Panama Canal cruise on either the Legend or the Freedom : which would you suggest and why?

Thanks in advance.

We’re 48. Don’t drink etc. we LOVE cruising with carnival. Only 5 days and up though. 

Yes, the 3-4 day cruises are literally booze cruises and seems everyone on the ship is 21.