Advice Requested - Alaska Cruise and Land Tour

jbfestus

To celebrate my in-laws 50th anniversary, we are all going on a Alaska Land and sea tour in July of 2020.  My inlaws are frequent Princess cruisers.  We (me, wife, and 13yr son) have cruise Carnival and Disney.  Looking for input as to what to expect, things to make sure we see/do for excursions and tips/tricks.  There will be a total of 10 in our party (1 4yr old and a 13yrold).  Thank you in advance.

Edited by jbfestus

We are in the minority.  We did the cruise first and loved it.  We flew to Seattle first and then took the train to Vancouver.  We spent three days exploring Vancouver, a great city.  After that we did the northbound cruise and loved the gradual immersion into Alaska.  The scenery got better and better each day.  After the cruise we did the four night tour with two nights in Denali and the longer Wilderness Tour.  The last night of the tour was at the Captain Cook Hotel and we flew from Anchorage to Seattle and then home.  If we were to book another Alaska cruise we would do it the same day.  Right now we’re busy exploring other parts of the world.  So much to see...so little time (and money).

When you are in Juneau and are interested in a whale tour use Marv and Harv.  They have been in the business for many years.  They will pick you up right at the ship.  You will be in a smaller boat, they can handle your family size and will have the whole boat to yourself.  The Princess ship will be huge with about 100 people fighting for a space at the rail.  Your boat captain can zip around and talks to other captains to find the whales. We saw at least 15 whales and was an awesome experience.  Plus, it will be a lot cheaper than the Princess excursion.

10 hours ago, Nonnie1975 said:

When you are in Juneau and are interested in a whale tour use Marv and Harv.  They have been in the business for many years.  They will pick you up right at the ship.  You will be in a smaller boat, they can handle your family size and will have the whole boat to yourself.  The Princess ship will be huge with about 100 people fighting for a space at the rail.  Your boat captain can zip around and talks to other captains to find the whales. We saw at least 15 whales and was an awesome experience.  Plus, it will be a lot cheaper than the Princess excursion.

I second Harv & Marv if you (or some of your group) are interested in whale watching! As far as excursions in general, you need to narrow down what your interests are and what your budget allows. Skagway and Ketchikan are interesting to walk around in and "tour" maps are available. Check out the Alaska board for lots of info.

Oh, and onboard the ship there will be a naturalist who does several presentations about glaciers and animals of Alaska. Don't know if your 13 year old would be interested in them but the adults might.

If I'm reading your post right, there will be a 4 year old in the group. If that is the case is everyone doing the same land tour? My kids are 5 and 7 and we opted out of a land tour through Princess due to the long travel times on buses/trains plus my kids would get bored way too quickly on the Denali bus tour. We are doing a DIY around the Kenai Peninsula instead. 

We celebrated our 50th last July with a family Alaska cruise, kids were 7-14.  We didn’t do land portion with kids - did it by ourselves.  We did land first.  I would recommend this because packing for the land part is easier to do at home.  Luggage is limited for land portion.  I’d rather throw everything in the suitcase and head home at the end of a cruise.  We did 2 nights in Fairbanks and 2 in Denali.  I second previous recommendation to take Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali.  You’re on a bus all day but get to see so much more than included one - your TA can arrange switch .  On the ship we did the White Pass and Yukon trip.  Even the kids enjoyed it.  In Ketchikan the kids loved the Lumberjack show.  A little silly for adults but worth it for the kids - right down the street from the ship.  There were 11 of us.  We started with set dining but after one night knew it wouldn’t work for us.  We changed to anytime.  Every night but one they set up a table for all of us with minimal wait.  The other night they put the 5 kids at a table next to the adults.  The kids loved it!  We made wonderful memories.  Whatever you decide, hope your trip is as great as ours was!

Edited by zogrand

The minimum age for Princess land tours is 5 years old, so hopefully your 4 year old is turning 5 before next summer? I found out when inquiring for my son. Since he won’t be old enough this summer we’re just renting a car in Anchorage and exploring on our own. My husband and I did an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon, and our favorite  excursions were the train ride in Ketchikan (we did it with the kayaking combo) and a helicopter ride to a glacier in Juneau.

• 2 weeks later...

We did this trip last summer with 12 people.  Some of us did the land part first, which I recommend.  Some of our group, with one child, joined us for a cruise only trip.  I do not think most children would really enjoy the land part of the trip.

Stay at least two days in Denali area.

Do any "air" excursion you can ( airplane, helicopter).  Will cost a freaking fortune but an experience you will remember on your death bed. 

Whatever you do, it will be a great trip.

21 hours ago, newbiewfromms said:

I am doing this same land/cruise tour end of June into July. Does anyone know which hotel in Fairbanks that Princess uses for the first leg of the trip?

Most likely the Captain Cook? hotel

5 hours ago, Potstech said:

Most likely the Captain Cook? hotel

Nope ...the Captain Cook is in Anchorage, in Fairbanks it will be more than likely the Princess Riverside Lodge

Srpilo

(edit: opps sorry is see someone above just posted the same thing about the Riverside Lodge)

Edited by srpilo
  • Thanks 1

DolphinTours has taken over the Captain Larry's Orca Enterprises operation in Juneau and runs a great tour.  Had about 12 people on a 30 person boat last trip (of the three times we have done this).  Lots of room to move around inside and out, and jet doesn't have to shut down when whales are close.  I don't see any age limits on their site.  Harv and Marv tend to run RHIB pontoon boats and may have an age limit (rougher ride and no bathroom)

Spent a lot of time in a superpod of Orcas (over 50).  You can see the difference between small operator and cruise ship tour in first shot.  Second was pod so close you could have touched them.  They came by us - rules don't let operators chase them, although some private tours stretch the rules a lot.  Whales ignore the tourists.

While we would highly recommend either a bear watching tour in Ketchikan or glacier helicopter in Juneau for the kids these are VERY expensive. 

Princess does offer an Eagle Preserve float trip in Skagway (actually ferry over to Haines) if you don't want to do the train.  Done this twice.  One guide was Tom Lang, an older kid's book author.  Got a signed book set from him (Moose, a Detective Story).  If you let the company know in advance he can be scheduled to be on your tour.

DSCN0216.JPG

DSCN0315sm.JPG

lang.JPG

Edited by LeeW
format