Check in early?

ejnsb

Hi 

It's exactly that. The staggered check in works. Because it works so well, they are sometimes in the position to allow some who arrive early to check in early. Of course this means that the more people who show up early, the longer you would have to wait. So, you can take a chance if you have no choice, but you may be required to wait outside the terminal. If you were intending to just arrive a 1/2 hr. early, that wouldn't be too bad a risk. If you were hoping to arrive a few hours early, well...good luck. 

have a great cruise

13 hours ago, ejnsb said:

Sailing the Elation out of Jacksonville next month.  If we get there ahead of our check in time, what is your experience?

Depending on how you arrive, private vehicle, taxi, or shuttle.....   You may have to wait a while just to get in the terminal?:classic_huh:

JAXPort is finicky... Sometime lax,  sometimes strict.   Sometimes, I have seen them turn vehicles around and tell them to come back later.:classic_sad:

Our experiences have taught us to arrive at the JAXPORT at 10:45am -  11:30am.   Earlier, well, you just wait in the terminal.   Boarding time in JAX is usually 11:15-11:45am..... sometimes earlier, but don't count on the earlier times.

The ship doesn't sail until 4pm. so no need to rush?:classic_unsure:  

No one can really give you the right answer because it literally varies with every cruise.  I have seen the early/late line at ports with hundreds of people standing in line with no one being allowed in the terminal, while on other cruises there was less than a dozen people in the early/late line and people were being allowed in the terminal.  Your best bet is to arrive during your check-in time and you will most likely find the process quick and painless. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ejnsb said:

Thanks for the replies.  Our friends got 11:30, we are 1:30. Since we are traveling together I guess I need to prepare to wait.

Or you can all go have a nice brunch somewhere, and they can go at 1:30 with you. Plus, your cabins will be ready and you can go right to them and drop off your belongings.