Cruising with an injury

So we are going on the Symphony of the Seas soon. My husband, myself, and our four kids (12,8,4,1). My oldest daughter recently broke both her tibia, femur, and shattered her ankle. After undergoing multiple surgeries she is left in a full leg cast. She is not allowed to bear any weight on that leg and is still adjusting to crutches. But the Symphony being such a big ship we worry that she won’t be able to do much on crutches. Paige(my daughter) hates wheel chairs because she can’t do anything in them. We looked into those scooters that you put your knee on but since she’s in a full leg cast that won’t work ethier. We don’t want this to ruin her whole trip because she’s been so excited about it. Do you guys have any ideas or tips for flying, and cruising with this type of injury?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  I wish I could help you more, but on another note, I hope Paige gets better soon and still enjoys herself!  All I can think of is the card room where she can play cards, or to bring board games that you can play out on deck with her (or she can go to the kids club to meet friends and play the games with them).  She can bring a few books and relax in the sun and read.  She can still go the the shows (Hairspray is really good, as are the aqua shows, the ice shows have a hard-to-follow plot but enjoyable skaters).  She may also be able to play mini golf if she wants to try.  Even though she can't do the flow riders, doesn't mean she can't watch people wipe out or do cool tricks as a mode of entertainment:-)  Again, I wish I was able to help you more!  

Edited by Allura_317

Very nasty. I hope she makes a speedy and full recovery.

My thought would be trying to convince her to use a combination of wheelchair (yes she hates it) and crutches. The wheelchair is like a car, a means of getting from one place to another. It is a bigship with a lot of distance to travel - and everything is always at the other end.

The crutches then used at destinations to be able to do stuff. It would also help her proficiency with the crutches and may reduce need for the wheelchair across some of the trip.

Good luck.

Here is a link to the scooter similar to what my husband had after shattering his ankle in a skydiving accident.

https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Steerable-Mobility-Crutches-Alternative/dp/B00EUB6VZI

You sit on it and your leg is supported in the front.  It folds up for easy movement and they are light weight.  We still have ours and several of our friends have had occasion to use it.  If you were need Seattle I would loan it to you! 

Edit:  I found a site where you can rent it for $25 a week!

https://www.rentakneewalker.com/product/Gemini-Seated-Knee-Scooter

scooter.jpg

Edited by harlekuin
added info

7 hours ago, Crusingwith4kids said:

Do you guys have any ideas or tips for flying, and cruising with this type of injury?

What cabin are you booked in for the plane?  It's unlikely that she can sit in a regular coach seat with a full leg cast, and she won't be allowed to sit in an exit row due to both the cast and her age.  Some bulkhead seats have additional legroom, but some do not; it varies a lot.  I would suggest buying up to a first class seat for her, and either you or your spouse as well, as minors usually have to be seated in the same cabin as a parent.  It's the best way to ensure that she can have the additional legroom needed to sit comfortably.  You'll be able to board early, when they call for passengers needing assistance or extra time, and although she doesn't like using a wheelchair, I'd encourage it in airports to minimize walking long distances on crutches. 

Would contact the airline regarding seating. They sometimes hold handicapped seats, like bulkheads, with more room to assign upon request.  Airline will know configuration of the aircraft you are flying, more detailed than seat map.  Definitely encourage her to use a wheelchair at the airport and board early.  

Also contact RC special needs department.  They will be very helpful regarding any thing you might need.  I am thinking of things like the muster drill - she will be able to do this with wheelchair/handicapped passengers rather than with hundreds of people.  I know as a young person it’s going to “cramp her style” - no pools, rock climbing, etc. but hopefully she can still enjoy watching the rest of you.

i know she doesn’t want a wheelchair or any other type of device, but she really will need one. There are lots of rental opportunities ahead of time. RC will loan a wheelchair at port of embarkation, but that’s just for getting on the ship.  To use on board you have to rent wheelchairs, scooters, etc. yourself.

Perhaps enlist the help of her doctor or therapist to convince her that walking miles with crutches isn’t easy. Some of the sidewalks in the ports of call might not be as easy to navigate as at home. 

While I haven't cruised with my injuries, I've had to deal with a total knee replacement and an Achilles tendon transfer within 4 months of each other.    First I'll say she may be looking forward to the cruise more than you realize.    Getting out and about, particularly for a teen, is likely something she'd want to do.   While a traditional wheelchair may seem not cool, it may actually be the quickest way around.   And if she'd learning to use the crutches, maybe a half and half kind of deal.   Also, if you have a beach day, you may look into see if any place has beach wheel chairs available.   That would allow for some beach time at least.  Definitely call the RCL Special Needs folks.  I'll bet they can accommodate her in the teens club too.   Getting to hang with others her age would help too.

Having been immobile myself for long periods, I say go for it, and make the most of it.   She'll enjoy herself I'm sure.

5 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Would contact the airline regarding seating. They sometimes hold handicapped seats, like bulkheads, with more room to assign upon request.  Airline will know configuration of the aircraft you are flying, more detailed than seat map.  Definitely encourage her to use a wheelchair at the airport and board early.  

We just upgraded to first class on delta and contacted the airline. Thank you so much for your advice.

7 minutes ago, Crusingwith4kids said:

We just upgraded to first class on delta and contacted the airline. Thank you so much for your advice.

Awesome, hope your family has a great cruise and wishing a speedy recovery for your daughter!

6 minutes ago, Crusingwith4kids said:

So we have a cabin that is pretty far away from an elevator. Will there be any way to change cabins to become closer to the elevators?

Depending on how you booked either you or your Travel Agent will need to call the cruise line and see if there are any cabins in your category available closer to the elevators.

9 minutes ago, Crusingwith4kids said:

So we have a cabin that is pretty far away from an elevator. Will there be any way to change cabins to become closer to the elevators?

If you stay in the exact same category, there won't be any charge to change.

If you change categories, you will pay th going rate and may lose perks you had on your original booking.