Help on cruise itinerary

roadmaster

Hi, I originally posted this in the newbies forum and was suggested I should re post here so here goes. I did also post this on another forum in this area but think it will get lost there.

Apologies for that.

We are an Aussie couple looking at numerous cruises in June/July 2020. We have sailed once with Oceania to Alaska in 2017 and the Radiance, Hawaii- Sydney 2012.

We are looking now at Northern Europe and the fjords along Norway which is offered by obviously numerous companies. If we are going all that way we would like to think we are going try and select the best itinerary and hopefully someone out there may offer some opinions.

Understanding there are bigger boats on offering, we were spoilt with Oceania and looking at that size ship for this cruise. We really are pushing our budget to do this as we will have a road trip around Scotland for 3 weeks either pre or post this cruise so would like to get it as right as possible. Here are some itineraries you may like to comment on. From our initial research it would appear Geiranger would be a highlight in any trip but would like to be assured we are going to see fjords in the case this place is not on one of the stops.

I will spend the next hour pouring over this forum and no doubt will give me more info.

My thoughts on Oceania - PROS - could tour Scotland prior and fly or ferry to Dublin. Like the idea of 32 days. Like the idea of going as far north and Keil canal. Good on board credits as well as bonus for sailing again with them CONS - need to be assured that we see fjords.

Oceania 22nd July 32 days

Dublin, London, Antwerp, Rotterdam, Kiel canal, Wismar, Cruising, Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg 2 nights, Tallinn, Cruising ,Copenhagen, Cruising, Alesund Trondheim, Cruising, Hammerfest,

Murmansk, Cruising,Solovetsky Is, Archangel, Cruising, Honningsvaag, Cruising, Kristiansand, Flam, Bergen, Stavanger, Cruising, London.

My thoughts on Crystal  -  PROS includes Geiranger,  all inclusive apart from land tours CONS cruise length shorter for a bit more money, 3 days in St Petersburg??? Would have to fly back to Scotland. (no big deal)

Crystal  - 19th June. 25 Days

London, Cruising, Bergen, Geiranger, Cruising, Lofoten/Gravdal, Tromso, Honninsvaag, Cruising, Cruising, Flam, Stavanger, Oslo, Oslo, Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Berlin, Cruising, Gdynia, St Petersburg 3 nights, Tallinn, Stockholm, Stockholm.

My thoughts on Silversea - PROS good itinerary. All inclusive apart from tours

CONS - shorter cruise, more cost less time, 3 nights in St Petersburg??

Silversea 20th July 24 days

London, London, Keil canal, Cruising, Riga, Cruising, Cruising, St Petersburg 3 nights, Tallinn, Stockholm, Cruising, Copenhagen, 

Copenhagen, Oslo, Oslo, Cruising, Flam, Gudvangen, Alesund,

Trondheim, Andalsnes, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Bergen, Cruising, London, London.

My thoughts on Viking - PROS good length cruise, well priced. Includes Geiranger.

CONS - 3 nights in Bergen, last 7 days are with UK waters!!!

Viking June 14th or reverse June 29th ...29 Days

Stockholm, Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg, St Petersburg, Tallinn, Cruising, Gdansk, Berlin, Copenhagen, Alford, Stavanger, Eidford, Bergen, Bergen, Bergen, Geiranger, Molde, Cruising,

Tromso, Honningsvaag, Lofoten, Cruising, Lerwick,

Kirkwall, Edinburgh, Cruising, London, London.

Thanks for any thought or opinions.

Have you looked at Azamara Journey cruise 1 July Norway & Midnight Sun  - Oslo, Flam, Geiranger, Alesund, Svolvaer (Lofoten Islands), Trollfjord, Tromso, Honningsvag, Bodo, Trondheim, Molde, Olden, Bergen & finishing in Leith in Scotland. Small ship and the captain Johannes Thysse is Norwegian. We’re booked on it and think it’s a wonderful Norway intensive itinerary.

Thanks for your reply. We have had a look at the Azamara trip but their reviews have been terrible and has put us off. They seem to have everything going for them with itineraries and boats but a bit worried on their perceived performance.

We are looking for 2020 but they have something similar.

Edited by roadmaster
Spelling

28 minutes ago, roadmaster said:

Thanks for your reply. We have had a look at the Azamara trip but their reviews have been terrible and has put us off. They seem to have everything going for them with itineraries and boats but a bit worried on their perceived performance.

We are looking for 2020 but they have something similar.

Did you look at reviews of the Journey? I know the new boat, the Pursuit, got some poor reviews for its first couple of cruises, but the Journey generally gets good reviews and, in particular, their Norway cruises gets very good reviews.

We have done 7 cruises with Azamara on the Journey & Quest and have 2 more booked for this year - the Norway cruise and a TA from Lisbon to Brazil.

We love Azamara and have never had a bad cruise with them. Previously we cruised with HAL and there is no comparison - Azamara is on a whole different level - just so much better. They’re not cheap but the price includes all gratuities and all your drink - spirits, wine etc. You also get a free evening excursion - the Azamazing evening. The Norway event is a concert in the very modern Edvard Grieg concert hall in Bergen. Food is excellent too and there is a very friendly atmosphere on board. The service is second to none - nothing is too much trouble. The senior officers are very friendly and are seen around the ship a lot and happily stop for a chat - including the captain.

I noticed one of your cons on some of them was the 3 days in St. Petersburg. That is (in my opinion) a pro, not a con. There is so much to do there, and our tour guide very easily filled up all 3 days for us, and we still wanted more. One of the best ports I've ever visited. We took a private tour with Anastasia's Travel and after the 3 days, we had seen so much, and had so much knowledge of the city, it was amazing. 

With all the places you are looking at going, you will definitely be busy, and have a fantastic time! Enjoy your cruise. 

Appreciate all thos posts but we are concerned about the northern sector with Oceania and the opportunity to get into fjords. Any comments there. If this is not a fjord cruise then will consider the others more closely.

22 minutes ago, roadmaster said:

concerned about the northern sector with Oceania and the opportunity to get into fjords

Only Fjord sailing is for Flåm where you are sailing through Sognefjord.

From Ålesund you might be able to do an excursion  to Storefjord and from Stavanger an excursion to Lysefjord.

Crystal, Silverstein and Viking are all Sailing Geiranger Fjord.

in addition Viking is Sailing Eidfjord.

The only Oceania scenic sailing for the cruise ship is Sognefjord to Flåm.

Edited by hallasm