Port side or Starboard side?

DonnaBeachLover

I use Google to search for images of ships docked at the ports we're going to book.  It's not cut in stone by any means but it will bgive you an idea which side is most likely to face the way you desire.  There are factors that can change what direction like work needing to be done to the hull or life boat tests but we've found it worthwhile and have fun searching

Example .... I might google " images Juneau cruise port "

For an Alaskan cruise, I think it does make a difference which side u r on.  On the one side u will predominantly see the ocean, & on the other you will see shoreline.  I recommend coastline side. JMHO.

3 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I prefer the port side. I really have no idea why,  I just do. I know,  I'm no help at all.  Sorry.

Funny but I’m the same, almost an in built preference for Port.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, B&J1 said:

For an Alaskan cruise, I think it does make a difference which side u r on.  On the one side u will predominantly see the ocean, & on the other you will see shoreline.  I recommend coastline side. JMHO.

I've always said it doesn't matter because if you don't see it on the way there, you'll see it on the way back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

I've always said it doesn't matter because if you don't see it on the way there, you'll see it on the way back.

For a 7 night N/B or S/B Alaskan cruise,  this statement doesn't apply. On N/B journeys the starboard side will be facing the coast while on S/B sailings it will be the port side.  However, the majority of the time at sea sailing will be during darkness.  The fantasy advertised that one can see bears and moose prowling the shoreline when you are at sea is just a fantasy.

When docked in ports, there is no way of knowing prior which way the ship will end up facing, so that's a crap shoot.  Also, one will likely be off the ship on tours during most hours that the ship is docked.

For us, the important factor in deciding port or starboard is to avoid being near any deck that allows smoking.  JMO, YMMV.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, B&J1 said:

Incorrect.  Much of Alaska cruising is done in channels between the islands.  There's not a 'shore side' and 'ocean side'.  Often land is seen on both sides.  In fact it's crazy close at times.