damaged luggage on disembarkation

Host CJSKIDS

Just getting around to figuring out where to go for my broken luggage.  Got my luggage back last cruise and the wheel was making a strange noise.  Reason for the noise, the wheel was cracked!  It was on disembarkation and we didn't figure out what it was until we were home.

I have found numerous threads discussing filing it while on board when it's damaged on embarkation, but can't find something about damage on disembarkation.

Do I try Princess directly or start a claim with Princess insurance?

Info you don’t have luck getting the cruise line or airline to repair or replace it and it is a samsonite brand bag you can take it to a samsonite store and they will likely replace the wheel for free if it’s less than 10 years old. We recently had one repaired at no cost and another was “traded in” for 60% off any new bag since it was more than 10 years old. They’ll also take the trade in if it’s any of their brand like such as American Tourister. 

Good luck with it,

Chris

Interesting.  I ordered new wheels from online and installed the new wheels myself.  Last damaged luggage they somehow managed to tear one of the zippers off on one of our rolling suitcases that was checked.  I found a shoe and luggage repair shop here that replaced the zipper mechanism.  Unfortunately we do not have samsonite. 

Over the years we have found that cruise lines do an incredible amount of damage to our luggage and find ourselves replacing it every few years.

One of the problems is that the wheels stick out to far and get caught up with other pieces of luggage.  We switched to rolling duffles which have recessed wheels and so far it seems luggage last longer and as an added bonus weigh less so we can put more stuff in it. 

Good luck in getting your bag fixed.

We noticed a soft sided bag was damaged beyond repair when it was delivered onboard. In addition, somehow my hairdryer that was packed near the top was cracked. We reported it and sent a claim in to Princess once we returned home. Princess reimbursed us by check for the bag (it wasn't an expensive one) but did not reimburse for the hair dryer. I guess small appliances etc are not covered according to their contract. I'm sure it helped that we were able to report it while still onboard because we had the documentation from the ship. 

Edited by hllwdcruiser

8 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Interesting.  I ordered new wheels from online and installed the new wheels myself.  Last damaged luggage they somehow managed to tear one of the zippers off on one of our rolling suitcases that was checked.  I found a shoe and luggage repair shop here that replaced the zipper mechanism.  Unfortunately we do not have samsonite. 

Never thought of replacing the wheels - great idea!  I know my husband could do it, he enjoys being able to repair things.

We have one Samsonite bag, it was a gift from Princess way back when, and it has a cracked wheel.  Actually the outer wheel casing came off, probably from age.  We generally buy cheaper bags because even the more expensive bags get damaged/dirty from airlines and/or cruising.  And we always supplement the zipper with a luggage strap.

Edited by GloriaF

3 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

Another reason to use roller bags and to self disembark. I have not allowed the cruise lines to handle bags leaving the ship in years. Roller bags give you much more freedom than being controlled by the cruise line. 

I personally don't feel controlled by the cruise line and my baggage can actually be more easily damaged by the airlines.  Do you also only do carry on luggage when flying?

After 33 cruises, this is the first time I have had my luggage damaged so guess my record is pretty good!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hllwdcruiser said:

We noticed a soft sided bag was damaged beyond repair when it was delivered onboard. In addition, somehow my hairdryer that was packed near the top was cracked. We reported it and sent a claim in to Princess once we returned home. Princess reimbursed us by check for the bag (it wasn't an expensive one) but did not reimburse for the hair dryer. I guess small appliances etc are not covered according to their contract. I'm sure it helped that we were able to report it while still onboard because we had the documentation from the ship. 

Thank you.

I'll call Princess this morning and inquire as to what to do.  I just figured someone had some experience on here and always seem to get better answers on CC.

13 hours ago, gottagocit said:

Info you don’t have luck getting the cruise line or airline to repair or replace it and it is a samsonite brand bag you can take it to a samsonite store and they will likely replace the wheel for free if it’s less than 10 years old. We recently had one repaired at no cost and another was “traded in” for 60% off any new bag since it was more than 10 years old. They’ll also take the trade in if it’s any of their brand like such as American Tourister. 

Good luck with it,

Chris

I’ve done that twice, now. I took the luggage to the store and they gave me a receipt and that was it. About a week or so later they arrived at my front door. 

Luggage Companies or insurance still cover wheels on luggage???? ...I know for a fact some airlines no longer cover wheels or zippers ...my luggage being middle of the road Delsey, Travelpro and IT with limited 10 year warranties. With family members traveling and living in places like NYC and Europe where walking blocks with luggage is typical  we get more than our share of damage with the wheels and I've had to pay to have them replaced. 

Have had experience with a bag on disembarkation.. In Feb 2017 called princess right away on return and was told to fill out a claim form. They wanted proof of purchase and a photo. Also like airlines want you to see if it could be repaired first.  My hard sided 25" Delsey  had a crack..could not be repaired. The occurrence was in South America our luggage was loaded by a vendor into trucks and then after a disembarkation tour the luggage met us at the airport, it was there that I noticed the damage. I took a photo of the damage right at the airport to show proof and on return replaced the bag thru Macys was able to find a comparable bag on sale for less than $200, original was a gift so I did not have a receipt....replacing original was $400, but I knew my GF got it on sale and liked features of the cheaper bag better so selected it, I sent Princess the receipt and they paid the $200.

Tip..I have been doing this for years take warranty info for your luggage and receipt keep in your luggage or take a photo. Any claims made with the airline must be done within 24 hours, but fill out a claim before you leave the airport. Often the airlines in their missing luggage claim room have replacement luggage, so you can get a new bag and be on your way..of course they take your old one.

Also with Princess insurance you must make a claim within 24 hours and have a police report if your luggage is stolen. In Oct. experienced this with a stolen/missing piece carry-on. Also did you know hearing aids, sun glasses electronic devices etc are also not covered. Since Princess is secondary and luggage goes missing you must claim it on your home owners first. Some credit cards do not cover for missing luggage...

In our years of Family travel..we've experienced a lot and what is covered is always changing .....to me I would just get the wheel replace and not go thru the hassel...Usually under 20 bucks, in Orange County , CA.

Edited by land lover

Princess customer relations just happened to call on an unrelated note ( a glowing email about Regal crew members) and so I asked her when she asked if there was anything she could do for me.

I have to email the property claims department to start.  They will direct me as what to do from there.

I know, thread hijack, LOL. I'm so happy to know Jan Swartz or her assistants actually read the emails and will note in in the crew members files as well as tell their bosses.  When crew goes above and beyond it sure makes the cruise that much more exceptional. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

I personally don't feel controlled by the cruise line and my baggage can actually be more easily damaged by the airlines.  Do you also only do carry on luggage when flying?

After 33 cruises, this is the first time I have had my luggage damaged so guess my record is pretty good!

Ha! No damage here either..........if they are controlling me I must have Stockholm syndrome after 69 Princess cruises eh.   :classic_rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Ha! No damage here either..........if they are controlling me I must have Stockholm syndrome after 69 Princess cruises eh.   :classic_rolleyes:

Okay, it may break the wheels of of your  suitcase but Please smuggle me on board next cruise! 😂. 69 cruises!   Wow! 

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

4 hours ago, hllwdcruiser said:

Probably not since hairdryers are not supposed to be brought on board at all.

2 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Thank you.

I'll call Princess this morning and inquire as to what to do.  I just figured someone had some experience on here and always seem to get better answers on CC.

Keep in mind that the wheels are excluded by many travel companies because they do stick out and are easily damaged.  Several airlines had them explicitly excluded in their baggage policies last time I checked a couple of years ago.

If your looking for someone else to pay, the question is who. Princess gets luggage off the ship, contracted workers (Longshoremen) once the bag hits land. Princess MIGHT do a fix for PR, but legally they don't have to since you have no proof they did the damage. If the out of pocket is to high just to fix yourself, use YOUR insurance.

7 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

What?   😳

Hairdryers were in the list of other banned items with electronic heating elements.  However, I cannot find them in the current FAQ so maybe they removed them from the list and now allow them. My wife had hers confiscated a couple of years back, returned at end of cruise.  

Edited by RDC1

1 minute ago, RDC1 said:

Hairdryers were in the list of other banned items with electronic heating elements.  However, I cannot find them in the current FAQ so maybe they removed them from the list and now allow them.

That would be the first I ever heard of that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jlp20 said:

If your looking for someone else to pay, the question is who. Princess gets luggage off the ship, contracted workers (Longshoremen) once the bag hits land. Princess MIGHT do a fix for PR, but legally they don't have to since you have no proof they did the damage. If the out of pocket is to high just to fix yourself, use YOUR insurance.

Never hurts to ask......I actually was surprised when they replaced my bag that had obviously been damaged at disembarkation. As I was prepared for a "battle" only because I had taken a photo of my luggage b4 leaving (just by fluke) the ship and knew the damage happened between leaving my cabin and the airport.  The lady that handled my claim actually was a HAL employee...On the same sailing I had a dress go missing in the laundry..since it was just $50. the ship said they would just credit my OBA and it was reflected on my closing statement. But it reappeared on my credit card bill(I noticed it only because it was over 1,000..where as before it was under) I called the women who was handling my luggage situation and she said she would include the dress cost on the same check with my luggage. They have a lot of freedom on how they handle things once you get to the right department.

Edited by land lover

44 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

Hairdryers were in the list of other banned items with electronic heating elements.  However, I cannot find them in the current FAQ so maybe they removed them from the list and now allow them. My wife had hers confiscated a couple of years back, returned at end of cruise.  

Interesting......was it large??? because, for years my DH  has always brought his and I bring a curling iron ....however since 911 we now bring these in our carry-ons don't like luggage being opened by the airlines. 

Edited by land lover

12 minutes ago, land lover said:

Interesting......was it large??? because, for years my DH  has always brought his and I bring a curling iron ....however since 911 we now bring these in our carry-ons don't like luggage being opened by the airlines. 

No actually just a small travel one.  At that time the person confiscating it stated that they were not allowed and that one was provided in the cabin.  Now at that time they were listed on the banned list.  They are not on the list now so Princess apparently does now allow them.