Driving in Ireland

johnmik1

We are taking a short post cruise trip from Dublin to Westport after a two day stay in Dublin.As it is my first driving experience in Ireland,I was wondering if it would be better to pick up the rental car in central Dublin or to take a taxi back to the airport to pick up the rental.i assume that the driving in Dublin might be hectic and jumping on the expressway by the airport might be easier.Any input would be appreciated.

Are you experienced driving left side? If not, picking up a rental in the middle of a heavily traveled area will be a challenge. You may feel more comfortable picking up the car near the airport, far less traffic than in Dublin proper....maybe? Be familiar with the traffic rules, too.

I've picked up rentals in London, near Marble Arch and at the mega underground car park beneath Hyde Park.  It does take me a few minutes to adjust and I need to remind myself to concentrate when passing other vehicles and getting into the correct lane at a round-about. 

Darcy

We started our driving trip at the airport but rather than fight the Dublin traffic we dropped our car back near the airport and took a cab into town for our 3 days in town.  I avoid the heart of European cities especially if driving on the opposite side of the road.  Not sure of your ultimate route but also check for any potential toll roads.  They use electronic toll collection and you may need to prepurchase a toll device or add your cars license to the system.

I would suggest you go back to the airport to collect the rental.  Most tolls accept cash or credit cards. The M50  (which you call the expressway by the airport) is a barrier free toll and must be paid online by 8pm the following day OR you can prepay at various locations, one of which is a shop in the airport terminal.

Once you leave the motorways, it will take you twice as long to get anywhere.  Double your estimated time!

There are many roundabouts - remember to keep left and give way to traffic from the right.

Red lights mean stop!  No filtering left or right unless there is a green filter arrow showing.

When we rented a car in Ireland it was out of Shannon because the roads from the airport were rural right away. Coming out of Dublin will be more congested so I would suggest coming out of Dublin Airport where it won't be quite so congested.

If you're flying back to the US from Dublin then it'll save you some hassle at the end of your trip if you pick up and drop off the car at the airport. Just like any capital city Dublin has heavy traffic and is probably not suitable for someone unfamiliar with driving on 'the wrong side of the road' in a car they aren't familiar with. The benefit of the airport is you'll be straight on to the Motorway / Freeway so you won't be stopping and starting every few hundred metres.

Initially the traffic is busy in the vicinity of the airport and the M50 but free flowing. The M50 is a toll road without toll booths, cameras read the car registration plate so speak to the rental company about paying the toll. Any other toll on the Motorway network in the direction of Westport will be via a toll booth.

Westport is beautiful, you'll have a wonderful time.