UBP question with 3 people in cabin

INDIANA JOE

Anyone have any recommendations regarding the UBP package with passengers 2 and 3 being the drinkers?   Passenger 1 has some health problems, therefore not much of a drinker, and wondered if anyone else has dealt with this issue. Would like to switch UBP to 2 and 3 but not lose any other perks as passenger 1. Passengers 1 and 2 are platinum level

50 minutes ago, INDIANA JOE said:

Anyone have any recommendations regarding the UBP package with passengers 2 and 3 being the drinkers?   Passenger 1 has some health problems, therefore not much of a drinker, and wondered if anyone else has dealt with this issue. Would like to switch UBP to 2 and 3 but not lose any other perks as passenger 1. Passengers 1 and 2 are platinum level

In your case, I would re-arrange the passengers on your reservation such that passenger 1 and 2 are the drinkers and passenger 3 is the non-alcoholic person.  Passenger 3 can get a soda card... and 1 and 2 can get the promo UBP.  

46 minutes ago, cliffd64 said:

In your case, I would re-arrange the passengers on your reservation such that passenger 1 and 2 are the drinkers and passenger 3 is the non-alcoholic person.  Passenger 3 can get a soda card... and 1 and 2 can get the promo UBP.  

Thanks, I thought of doing it that way but then the "original #1" wouldn't get the Platinum meals, ship tour,etc. Hoped that we could change things regarding UBP when we check in so that #3 could get the drink package

You may be able to do this onboard. When we sailed last year, my daughter got the UBP on her ship card for some reason—she was 6 months old at the time. Oops?

We went to Guest Services and they gave us some new key cards.

Or call them and ask.

1 hour ago, INDIANA JOE said:

Thanks, I thought of doing it that way but then the "original #1" wouldn't get the Platinum meals, ship tour,etc. Hoped that we could change things regarding UBP when we check in so that #3 could get the drink package

Which passenger your platinum guests are doesn't affect their perks. I would definitely swap so the drinkers are pax 1 and 2 (I just did that for my upcoming cruise). The platinum meals are per cabin anyway, and you sign up for the ship tour with the Cruise Next staff - they just look at your card with your level on it when you sign up (non-platinum cabin members can't join you on the tour, BTW - at least not on Epic. We asked to bring my sis-in-law (pax 3) and were told no.) I can't think of a single platinum perk you'd lose making the switch.

9 hours ago, dcipjr said:

You may be able to do this onboard. When we sailed last year, my daughter got the UBP on her ship card for some reason—she was 6 months old at the time. Oops?

We went to Guest Services and they gave us some new key cards.

Or call them and ask.

Guest Services is where I hoped to take care of this. Thanks for the info.

6 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Just posting to say I agree with the above post. Platinum perks are nothing to do with this. You can make this change without affecting them in any way.

Didn't t want to lose platinum perks for my wife and I. We are celebrating our 40th anniversary and want to enjoy our trip

4 minutes ago, INDIANA JOE said:

Guest Services is where I hoped to take care of this. Thanks for the info.

You should try and fix it now. NOT when you are on the ship. Once you are on the ship, it is easy for them to say "you booked it that way and we can't change what "Miami" put in the system".

8 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

Which passenger your platinum guests are doesn't affect their perks. I would definitely swap so the drinkers are pax 1 and 2 (I just did that for my upcoming cruise). The platinum meals are per cabin anyway, and you sign up for the ship tour with the Cruise Next staff - they just look at your card with your level on it when you sign up (non-platinum cabin members can't join you on the tour, BTW - at least not on Epic. We asked to bring my sis-in-law (pax 3) and were told no.) I can't think of a single platinum perk you'd lose making the switch.

Thanks for the info. Wasn't sure f swapping out would affect our platinum perks.

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You should try and fix it now. NOT when you are on the ship. Once you are on the ship, it is easy for them to say "you booked it that way and we can't change what "Miami" put in the system".

Thanks for your recommendation. Will give them a call soon and see what they tell me.

16 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

Exactly - If you are platinum you get platinum perks without regard to which passenger number you are in the cabin. (If all three were platinum all of them would get the perks so it clearly doesn't matter that you would be  passenger #3 in relation to platinum perks.)

You should handle this ASAP  and not wait until you get on board, because they may not be willing to make the change on the ship.

Edited by zqvol

40 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Exactly - If you are platinum you get platinum perks without regard to which passenger number you are in the cabin. (If all three were platinum all of them would get the perks so it clearly doesn't matter that you would be  passenger #3 in relation to platinum perks.)

You should handle this ASAP  and not wait until you get on board, because they may not be willing to make the change on the ship.

Thanks for your input. Haven't crruised for almost 4 years due to health/financial concerns and will call and change 

Edited by INDIANA JOE

Are you splitting the cost of the cabin evenly and do you have insurance? The reason I'm asking is this:

If you are not splitting things equally (passengers 1 & 2 paying the majority of the cost and passenger 3 free or paying a reduced cost), and if someone has to cancel, the insurance will only pay the rate next to their name. 

We have a friend that cruises with us and we only charge her the person 3 cost. We sail in suites, so the cost difference is significant. This is why we will not switch the number/order of people in the cabin. If something happens that my husband can't go (he is the non-drinker), we would only get back $500 of the cost -- nowhere near the full cost of his fare.

If you are okay with taking this risk with insurance, switch the order of names.

Silly question - but why can''t you just swap cards? I know it's "illegal" to share cards, but it's not like they pull up your picture when you order your drinks. My MIL was our 3rd guest, and although she's not a big drinker, on one or 2 nights she would take my card and head to the atrium ahead of us and get herself something while waiting for us to get dressed and join her. Never had a problem.

5 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Silly question - but why can''t you just swap cards? I know it's "illegal" to share cards, but it's not like they pull up your picture when you order your drinks. My MIL was our 3rd guest, and although she's not a big drinker, on one or 2 nights she would take my card and head to the atrium ahead of us and get herself something while waiting for us to get dressed and join her. Never had a problem.

I thought youqr picture popped up when the card was swiped.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I thought youqr picture popped up when the card was swiped.

It does.

51 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

...but for drinks my MIL used my card from time to time. She's got 25yrs on me, so if they do see your photo no one ever bothered to check.

I would consider that to be luck....or she looks young for her age. :classic_wink:

20 minutes ago, Battle Bots said:

You will only get one set of platinum meals no matter.  That has nothing to do with what passenger number they are.

If all three are Platinum, the third person gets Platinum meals as well. If it isn't in your cabin, then go to Guest Services/Cruise Next.

4 hours ago, brookie848 said:

Are you splitting the cost of the cabin evenly and do you have insurance? The reason I'm asking is this:

If you are not splitting things equally (passengers 1 & 2 paying the majority of the cost and passenger 3 free or paying a reduced cost), and if someone has to cancel, the insurance will only pay the rate next to their name. 

We have a friend that cruises with us and we only charge her the person 3 cost. We sail in suites, so the cost difference is significant. This is why we will not switch the number/order of people in the cabin. If something happens that my husband can't go (he is the non-drinker), we would only get back $500 of the cost -- nowhere near the full cost of his fare.

If you are okay with taking this risk with insurance, switch the order of name

Brookie848, something for us to think about since our daughter will be along with us. She will be paying a reduced amount.