San Diego -- stop for wine on way from airport to cruise port?

faerievert

Trying to find a place to stop to buy a couple bottles of (cheap) wine on the way from the airport to the cruise port in San Diego. Don't want to go more than a few minutes out of the way since we'll be in a taxi or uber. We're thinking the 7-11 at 1670 Kettner Blvd. If there's something nearby that's a better option, we'd love some tips.

There is a Rite Aide on Ash, about 4-5 blocks from the pier.  You could even drop your luggage off at the pier and walk to it and back in less than 30 minutes (including purchase time).

Selection and pricing are reasonable IMO, if all you are looking for is cheap to middle priced wine.  Plus you could also pick up some other things you forgot/need.

Rite Aide over 7-11 any day.  There is also the "G Street" deli that's a short walk from the port.  They have a very nice selection of wines and they make great deli sandwiches.  Depending on your schedule you could grab a sandwich, chips and drink then walk back over by USS Midway and have a nice picnic lunch.  Done it many times.  If we stay at the Embassy suites we will hit the deli for sandwiches and go over the seawall and eat.  

Rite aid sounds perfect! Assuming they sell wine on Sundays? It'll be around 1pm.

That deli looks yummy, but I know I'll be eager to get on the boat ASAP.

Meanwhile, TN only got wine in grocery stores in July 2016 and they just started being able to sell wine on Sundays on Jan 1 2019. It's sure not in rite aids yet! 🙄

45 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

California doesn't restrict alcohol sales in that manner. No influence from "blue laws".

I disagree - in the past I have not been able to purchase wine at that Rite Aid before a certain time on Sunday.  May have now changed of course.

36 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I disagree - in the past I have not been able to purchase wine at that Rite Aid before a certain time on Sunday.  May have now changed of course.

Must have been before 6:00 AM.  CA ABC law allows liquor sales seven days a week between 6:00 AM and 2:00 AM.  That includes stores and bars.  Recently there are even a few places that ABC has allowed to sell until 4:00 AM.  Sometimes cities will put restrictions on the locations "use permit" for hours of operation.  But that applies to the entire business not just liquor sales as that remains jurisdiction of the State ABC.     

BTW: you should be able to find a decent wine for $12-$15 per bottle.  There are pretty of decent ones made locally in Temecula.  Sometimes you can find bottles of Rombauer chardonnay for $16 - $18.  It will probably be the Sonoma vs. Napa, but it's still very nice.   

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Must be a RiteAid policy issues. Booze can be sold in California between 6am and 2am the next day. In other words, the only time you can't buy booze is 2-6am. Which are also the hours bars must be closed, and we are trying to extend the open hours to 4am.

I stand by my statement of no "Blue Law" influence in California.

4 hours ago, faerievert said:

We’ll be after 12pm, that that shouldn’t be an issue, even if they have a corporate restriction added to local law. We will call to be certain.

Don't waste your time calling, there will be plenty of places to buy wine if Rite Aide won't sell it to you, which I'm 100% sure they will.  I use to work with CA ABC agents and am pretty knowledgeable of the ABC laws.   Noon any day of the week in CA isn't a problem buying alcohol.  

22 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

While I had an issue in the past with wine sales on Sunday, that was a few years ago.  It appears that SAN DIEGO laws have changed since then and this is no longer the case, so I stand corrected.