questions about the refillable cup

Astromaid

On 1/30/2019 at 6:05 AM, Astromaid said:

I have bought the refreshment package, I believe I have read the cup does not come with a straw, can I bring one from one of my cups from home and assume it will work with this cup? Also will the cup be in our cabin or do we go somewhere to get it? Are there different designs?

Here is a picture of our cups from last month on Allure. These were the only designs I saw on the ship. We brought our own flexible plastic straws. We used the cups for ice water, soda and our adult beverages. They kept the drinks cold and the drinks didn't get watered down while sitting around the pool. I hope this helps!

15523562196952574635935382020776.jpg

Reusable stainless steel straws with the slight curve in them work great with these cuts.  We've also used some of our daughter's reusable plastic straws in them.  Hubby brings home his unopened cups.

9 hours ago, RobinCruiser said:

Question that I'm sure has been asked before - If I have cups from previous cruises, will they work on the freestyle machines if I bring them with me on my cruise? Just curious. I actually have several sets of cups, all unopened and see them listed on Ebay so wondering if I sell mine, would someone be able to use them for free soda?

If the cup has never been used at all at the machine, it will work on another cruise.  The cup is good for 14 days after activation.  Activation occurs when the cup is first used in the freestyle machine.

12 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

No, cups from earlier cruises won't work. 

Each cup has a unique identifier via an RFID chip in the base.  That identifier times out a certain number of days after it's first use.

But if they haven't been used at all they'd likely work, right?  We have 2 unopened I kept but now I don't know why I did, lol, we usually get the beverage package to just not worry about it and I always bring my yeti cup for ice/water and that you can get at the freestyle machines without the other cup.

I did have to giggle though, we saw 2 girls walking with their cups and she was saying "why does this say Oasis of the Seas when we're on Independence of the Seas?" - she must not have kept reading to realize it has all the ship names on it 🙂

13 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

No, cups from earlier cruises won't work. 

Each cup has a unique identifier via an RFID chip in the base.  That identifier times out a certain number of days after it's first use.

Thanks! We always get the deluxe beverage package and never use the cups since we aren't soda drinkers so I guess people buy and sell them on Ebay as collectibles. 

We are in boadwalk balcony, and we ordered two more for our girls, so ours will be in our room, I'm guessing?   And if that's so and we want soda for our lunch at windjammer once we get on the ship (before we get to our room), how can we get soda?

6 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

But if they haven't been used at all they'd likely work, right?   ... 

Possibly.  Depends on if there are only a range of chip ID's that they ship accepts for that cruise.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

Possibly.  Depends on if there are only a range of chip ID's that they ship accepts for that cruise.

Makes sense, truly we'd likely only pack them to have an insulated cup to not worry about if we lost it but we'd likely get another package and thus more cups so may just be extra summer deck cups for home!

Note- you don’t have to carry the cup around, if you don’t want to.  If you show your card at any of the bars, they will give you a glass of soda.  However, it is needed for the freestyle machines.  I think I heard you could also use you package for non-alcoholic drinks at the bionic bar, too

So could you get a double shot of rum at the bar then go to the Freestyle Soda machine with your cup to add your mixers?? This could be good for me!! Especially if the machines are near the pool! (Spectrum)

3 hours ago, SakeDad said:

So could you get a double shot of rum at the bar then go to the Freestyle Soda machine with your cup to add your mixers?? This could be good for me!! Especially if the machines are near the pool! (Spectrum)

Yes.

12 hours ago, SakeDad said:

You can also get a can of soda at the bar at the same time you are getting your double shot.  I know a lot of people prefer canned soda to fountain soda.  Also, it would be one less stop!

• Like 1

Keep in mind that the cups also tend to be somewhat poor quality,  two of ours were broken by Southwest Airlines, even though they were packed well between layers of clothes. They do help keep drinks cold a bit longer, but don’t thInk they work as well as truly vacuum insulated bottles go, or even a basic Tervis.

11 minutes ago, jean-lynd said:

You can also get a can of soda at the bar at the same time you are getting your double shot.  I know a lot of people prefer canned soda to fountain soda.  Also, it would be one less stop!

Unless something has changed recently, cans are not technically part of any beverage package, however there have been exceptions reported. 

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Unless something has changed recently, cans are not technically part of any beverage package, however there have been exceptions reported. 

I got cans of coke zero and diet coke at multiple different bars on the Allure last month.  They would only give you one per card but that was fine.  Now that I think about it I don't think I ever ordered a can of soda with an alcoholic drink so they may not give you both at the same time.  I did get a can of soda and a bottled water at the same time.  I stocked the fridge in my cabin with sodas and waters for times I wanted a beverage in the cabin. I also took a can to the Solarium Bistro so I could have soda with my breakfast and lunch without having to stop anywhere else. I hope this helps!

31 minutes ago, jean-lynd said:

I got cans of coke zero and diet coke at multiple different bars on the Allure last month.  They would only give you one per card but that was fine.  Now that I think about it I don't think I ever ordered a can of soda with an alcoholic drink so they may not give you both at the same time.  I did get a can of soda and a bottled water at the same time.  I stocked the fridge in my cabin with sodas and waters for times I wanted a beverage in the cabin. I also took a can to the Solarium Bistro so I could have soda with my breakfast and lunch without having to stop anywhere else. I hope this helps!

Thanks for the update.  It would be nice if the rules have changed and cans are officially part of the packages.

8 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Thanks for the update.  It would be nice if the rules have changed and cans are officially part of the packages.

It never occurred to me that getting a can of soda with the Deluxe package might be against the rules!  I certainly wouldn't have asked for any if I had known but I am glad I did since no one ever gave any indication that it wasn't included!

We have gotten different cups on our cruises.  I don't ever use my cup so I bring it home unopened.  I do buy an alcohol package and I am not a soda drinker.

For those mentioning using the cups on a different cruise, I wonder if anything would be said to those buying on Ebay as an example, or even those trying to use a cup from a previous cruise when the designs have been different on different cruises.  Each time we have sailed on Allure we have had different cups.  

I would think if one went to a bar and tried to get a drink with an old cup, the bartender might question it and ask to see the SeaPass that shows the soda, refreshment, deluxe package.

Maybe I am overthinking this as I do have a tendency to do so, but I wouldn't try to scam the free soda for a week based on my old cup.  JMO.

2 hours ago, jean-lynd said:

It never occurred to me that getting a can of soda with the Deluxe package might be against the rules!  I certainly wouldn't have asked for any if I had known but I am glad I did since no one ever gave any indication that it wasn't included!

Cans are clearly listed under the Deluxe Beverage Package on the Cruise Planner website.

2 hours ago, katiel53 said:

We have gotten different cups on our cruises.  I don't ever use my cup so I bring it home unopened.  I do buy an alcohol package and I am not a soda drinker.

For those mentioning using the cups on a different cruise, I wonder if anything would be said to those buying on Ebay as an example, or even those trying to use a cup from a previous cruise when the designs have been different on different cruises.  Each time we have sailed on Allure we have had different cups.  

I would think if one went to a bar and tried to get a drink with an old cup, the bartender might question it and ask to see the SeaPass that shows the soda, refreshment, deluxe package.

Maybe I am overthinking this as I do have a tendency to do so, but I wouldn't try to scam the free soda for a week based on my old cup.  JMO.

I would think that a bartender would likely ask for your card at a bar, and an old cup won’t work the fountain machines.  The cups have an RFID chip in them to operate the Freestyle machines, on the ships that have them.