Dining Question for a Party of 2

junglecat

We will be cruising on the Rhapsody of the Seas for Spring Break in March.  It will just be myself and DH.  Our last cruise, on another line, put us at a table for 2.  Should we assume the same will be done for us on this cruise.  Either way works, as we've done it both ways in the past.  It's kind of like the good the bad and the ugly as we've had both good and bad experiences doing both.  Any thoughts?

13 minutes ago, junglecat said:

We will be cruising on the Rhapsody of the Seas for Spring Break in March.  It will just be myself and DH.  Our last cruise, on another line, put us at a table for 2.  Should we assume the same will be done for us on this cruise.  Either way works, as we've done it both ways in the past.  It's kind of like the good the bad and the ugly as we've had both good and bad experiences doing both.  Any thoughts?

If you are doing traditional (fixed) dining, then send an email to rcldining@rccl.com about 3 weeks before the cruise and request your desired table size.

If you are doing My Time Dining, tell the MTD host when you show up for dinner.

• Like 1

If you do my time dining then it is really easy to get a table for two so you don’t have to sit with strangers. That’s what I always do when traveling with just two of us. Then you don’t have to sit at some large table with people you don’t know. Works great. Thanks 

We actually prefer to sit with others, so we choose one of the traditional seatings, and ask to be at a large table.  We look forward to our tablemates nightly!

MTD pretty much assures you'll be eating alone, as most folks who do that do NOT want company!

39 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

MTD pretty much assures you'll be eating alone, as most folks who do that do NOT want company!

Just to let the OP know that the 2 Top tables (tables for 2) are literally just inches apart on most of RCI's ships. We have found it easier to have conversations with those at nearby tables compared to larger tables. 

The last time we had traditional dining, several years ago, we were placed at a table for 10. We were the only ones at the table the entire cruise. We would have asked to be moved, but had such good servers and really got to know them during the cruise, we didn't want to be moved out of their station. Still, it was a bit awkward and we've come to prefer MTD for the flexibility as well as smaller table. But even then, we have sometimes been seated with other guests (rare but it happens). Even when we have our own table, they are so close to each other it's almost as if you're dining with the guests next to you anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...
On January 31, 2019 at 4:19 PM, Scotty G said:

Just to let the OP know that the 2 Top tables (tables for 2) are literally just inches apart on most of RCI's ships. We have found it easier to have conversations with those at nearby tables compared to larger tables. 

Thank you for this.  We have had traditional dining many times and have enjoyed our table mates.  We have booked MTD on occasion also because we like the flexibility of choosing when we have dinner, NOT because we want to be seated alone.  I suspect there are many others who book MTD for this reason (flexibility of dining time).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Just remember to be considerate of 2 people sitting at a table for 2. They may have asked for that table because they don't want to be expected to socialize with tablemates. Some couples WANT to eat without conversing with others.

This 100%. My sister and I are some of those people. We always do MTD and request a table for two because we don’t like or feel comfortable at a table with strangers. And don’t feel comfortable when other tables close to us try to converse with us. So let’s all please be considerate that others might not have the same viewpoint on conversing with strangers that others do. Happy Cruising !