since it won'l let me quote and reply to Shmoo on passport renewal

ontheweb

Let me try to post this as a new topic.

10 years ago I just let them use the same picture and would have intended to do  that again if it was not for the no glasses rule. (Since I have worn glasses since 3rd grade, I don't see why a realistic picture of me should not have glasses). Meanwhile I hope DW's picture is ok since the picture somehow turned her gray hair back to blond, something she used to pay her hairdresser to do every other month.

Some more rules---print or type your name and birth date on the check. The application must be filled out in black ink.

If you were in an accident and your glasses flung off and missing, the hospital or investigators might need to identify you by your passport photo.  A passport is needed if someone dies overseas for identification, cremation or repatriation. Sad but true.  Spectacles can alter your appearance, effect eye colour, etc.

Also, many countries will not accept a passport with a photo with glasses.  The same thing with smiling.

Not the USG that insisted, but some other countries.

Picture is supposed to be recent.   And they do check, one of my colleagues at work had their application rejected due to an older photo.  Not sure how they would tell.  But if you try to use the SAME photo, they will likely notice and reject the application.

52 minutes ago, Port Power said:

If you were in an accident and your glasses flung off and missing, the hospital or investigators might need to identify you by your passport photo.  A passport is needed if someone dies overseas for identification, cremation or repatriation. Sad but true.  Spectacles can alter your appearance, effect eye colour, etc.

Exactly right.. 

Starting Nov. 1,  2018 all travelers having new photos taken for passports must remove their eyeglasses. The U.S. Department of State is changing the rules because it received more than 200,000 "unacceptable" passport photos last year, mostly because eyeglasses caused a glare, blocked a portion of the face or covered the eyes in shadow.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Also, many countries will not accept a passport with a photo with glasses.  The same thing with smiling.

Not the USG that insisted, but some other countries.

Picture is supposed to be recent.   And they do check, one of my colleagues at work had their application rejected due to an older photo.  Not sure how they would tell.  But if you try to use the SAME photo, they will likely notice and reject the application.

I don't know about older passport photos, but most likely in the past 10 years or so, the photo submitted with the application is  scanned.  When you renew your passport and they look you up that old photo probably pops up.  

I was able to sneak a peek at the border agent's screen in China and in the upper corner was a the photo used on my visa application and an older photo from the past.

1 hour ago, gooch47 said:

Funny you should mention turning hair blonde.  I had the same thing happen.  The whole photo had a yellow tint to it.  It was taken at a Walgreen's store.  

It not only made her a blond again, but also included the gray highlight in the front that she used to have after the hairdresser's appointment. It was like they took a picture from the past, and it did make her look much younger.

The reason for the no glasses requirement

Anyone applying for or renewing a U.S. passport must remove their eyeglasses for their passport photo. This policy prohibiting glasses in passport photos went into effect in November 2016.

According to the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Consumer Affairs, the decision was made because every year many thousands of passport customers submit poor quality photos — and the primary reason photos were rejected in the past was because applicants were wearing glasses that made it difficult to identify their face.

The new "no glasses" policy will result in fewer passport application delays and will help passport holders move through U.S. ports of entry more efficiently, says the Bureau.

On 2/1/2019 at 1:39 PM, Philob said:

I don't know about older passport photos, but most likely in the past 10 years or so, the photo submitted with the application is  scanned.  When you renew your passport and they look you up that old photo probably pops up.  

I was able to sneak a peek at the border agent's screen in China and in the upper corner was a the photo used on my visa application and an older photo from the past.

Exactly.