Flu on Anthem of the Seas

I would ask that to be refunded for an extras you paid for but was unable to use such as specialty dining or even the drink package.  Since they restricted you to your cabin they know you were ill and couldn't use it.  I would not expect anything above those items.  Just ask politely and hopefully you will be refunded those items.

Traveling with kids we've used our trip insurance a few times for trips to the doctor onboard. 

So sorry your post seems to have gone sideways.  I thought your original post was very reasonable.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

We were in medical the same time as aflyingbuttress and we both received our paperwork the next morning. 

My husband went yesterday afternoon and they said they hadn’t finished it yet. They said it would be done by the end of the day today. No idea whether they’re bringing it to us or if we have to go get it. 

We dod get a receipt for the portion portion of the services they charged for but nothing that shows my daughter was seen or what she was treated for. I need that to submit to our travel insurance. 

13 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Hopefully all the people who had out of pocket medical expenses have taken out insurance, or have coverage through their own medical insurance. 

Received treatment for an accidental injury several years ago and found the medical staff (doctors and nurses) to be excellent. I believe that they are contracted employees. 

It is always very unfortunate when people are ill on vacation; however, I never feel that any one is to blame.  I can never really understand why some people think compensation should be offered.   Regrettably sometimes things happen and it’s hard to “blame “ any one.  

Hope everyone one gets well soon. 

We always have insurance so we are covered. The captain made an announcement that consultations were free in an attempt to get people to go get checked out. It was clearly explained to us that we would be charged if we chose to see a doctor.  Due to pre existing conditions, we chose to see a doctor, even though the nurse was just giving us DayQuils which neither of us can take. Test proved we made the correct call. 

3 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

My husband went yesterday afternoon and they said they hadn’t finished it yet. They said it would be done by the end of the day today. No idea whether they’re bringing it to us or if we have to go get it. 

We dod get a receipt for the portion portion of the services they charged for but nothing that shows my daughter was seen or what she was treated for. I need that to submit to our travel insurance. 

You are filing a claim even though she was seen for free?

2 minutes ago, HOSKI said:

I would ask that to be refunded for an extras you paid for but was unable to use such as specialty dining or even the drink package.  Since they restricted you to your cabin they know you were ill and couldn't use it.  I would not expect anything above those items.  Just ask politely and hopefully you will be refunded those items.

Traveling with kids we've used our trip insurance a few times for trips to the doctor onboard. 

So sorry your post seems to have gone sideways.  I thought your original post was very reasonable.

They are refunding the specialty dining we didn’t use. I’m not asking for refunds for the beverage package since I did use it for a few days. Not planning to ask for anything else. If they offer more I will be pleasantly surprised and wouldn’t turn it down. But totally reasonable if they don’t. 

Im also sorry this post went sideways. I just wanted to offer up some information. It’s unfortunate people need to twist others words and apply nefarious meaning where there was none. There was no reason for this to turn negative. 

Sorry OP. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HOSKI said:

Guest services will take care of that. We are now released and were just at guest services. 

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

You are filing a claim even though she was seen for free?

My travel insurance includes reimbursement for days missed if you get sick. But only if we have the proper documentation. That’s what I’ll be filing for. Not planning to ask them to pay for doctors services that we didn’t have to pay for. Just making use of the protection offered to me via our insurance, which is why we bought it in the first place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I should say my travel insurance MAY cover it. It includes coverage for trip interruption for sickness but it’s not clear whether that’s for being medi-vac’ed out or if being quarantined counts. I wasn’t able to talk with them on the phone since I have no service. It’ll have to wait til I’m off the ship to find out. But in the mean time I want to get all required paperwork that they may ask for. 

5 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

I should say my travel insurance MAY cover it. It includes coverage for trip interruption for sickness but it’s not clear whether that’s for being medi-vac’ed out or if being quarantined counts. I wasn’t able to talk with them on the phone since I have no service. It’ll have to wait til I’m off the ship to find out. But in the mean time I want to get all required paperwork that they may ask for. 

WiFi calling is working fine on our phones. 

4 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Do you think NY/NJ has more flu than Florida or most other states in the country?

You'd be wrong

If you watch the Govt sites you see what areas of the country are more widespread. Couple years ago as usual northern part of US had Flu pretty bad but didn't hit Az really hard until April when it had passed rest. Every year is different

26 minutes ago, aflyingbuttress said:

My travel insurance includes reimbursement for days missed if you get sick. But only if we have the proper documentation. That’s what I’ll be filing for. Not planning to ask them to pay for doctors services that we didn’t have to pay for. Just making use of the protection offered to me via our insurance, which is why we bought it in the first place. 

Good. In past always had Great Insurance, Auto, Long Term, and unfortunately had to use them. Rest of my life I will never pay in as much as I have collected/had covered. Just glad I had it hen I needed it...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

WiFi calling is working fine on our phones. 

Hey my friend,

I think the Anthem has a grudge against you!  Weren’t you on one of the norovirus cruise when they were decontaminating?  Anyway, I hope you two are better and we will sail together again, perhaps on another ship though!!!L

The DH and I both caught the flu on Rhapsody last month.  And yes, we both have had the flu shot, finding out quickly that what they say about not being 100% effective was true.  We were really sick most of the cruise.  Noticed a lot of crew members that were sick and coughing. 

No refunds, no breaks on medical aid, had to buy very expensive flu meds on board, and not even a refund of shore excursion we had booked (had to cancel over 48 hours to get refund).  I ended up in ER when we returned.  $$$

31 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Hey my friend,

I think the Anthem has a grudge against you!  Weren’t you on one of the norovirus cruise when they were decontaminating?  Anyway, I hope you two are better and we will sail together again, perhaps on another ship though!!!L

Yes, that was me!😱dang chemicals got me that time. We are doing a lot better, thanks. Released from quarantine but trying to stay away from people. You up and moving now?  Hope all went well!

4 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Yes, that was me!😱dang chemicals got me that time. We are doing a lot better, thanks. Released from quarantine but trying to stay away from people. You up and moving now?  Hope all went well!

Three weeks out and getting around better thanks.  It went very well, therapist said I was one of the best patients they had!  At least I am good at something👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

They have no way of cheking that!:classic_rolleyes:

Well, if they have diagnosed somebody with the flu then they know it’s contagious for 5-7 days. There’s no way I was not contagious when they considered letting me out. Not saying they’re right or wrong, as I’m not the medical professional. Just stating what was happening. 

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Op paid for the drink package. I think that Royal Caribbean  should make an exception  and deliver the water and cocktails if desired  to quarantined passengers. It doesn't make sense that they will only deliver it if she pays for it. 

You think it’s ok to drink alcohol while having the flu?  What if you drank too much and had a hangover and didn’t drink the next day?

9 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

For exactly what?  What happens when one gets the flu at home?

I said it would be nice. Honestly, is that not a sentiment I’m allowed to hold? Am I really not allowed to say that it would be a nice thing to do if they decided to do it. Because it WOULD be a nice thing. A generous thing. That I would appreciate. But that is not the same as thinking I’m owed it. As I’ve said multiple times now l, it’s not something I expect and I’m not upset about that. But I can recognize a gesture as “nice” if I want to. 

I do not understand why everything I’m saying is being attacked. I’m not pro slavery. I don’t expect people to work for free. I’m not going to scam my insurance company. I don’t think Royal Caribbean owes me anything. I never said any of those things but for some reason people keep assuming things I have not said.

I just replied because the very first post asked about what was happening with the flu onboard and the idea of compensation was brought up there and I was replying to it. 

Edited by aflyingbuttress
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

You think it’s ok to drink alcohol while having the flu?  What if you drank too much and had a hangover and didn’t drink the next day?

They are talking about water. Not alcohol. 

Edit: I see they did say cocktails. But the original request was for water. 

Edited by aflyingbuttress