Infinite veranda on Edge

lysolqn

Long time X cruisers thinking of booking Edge but wondering if there are any traditional veranda cabins available.  We're a bit skittish about booking an "infinite" veranda, considering some of the not so glowing reviews of the new balcony design, especially with respect to privacy and light issues.  Also, in theory, "with the touch of a button, your entire living space becomes the veranda" sounds great.  In reality, however, doesn't that also mean that "with a touch of a button", heat and humidity become the third and fourth passengers in your cabin?      

Edited by lysolqn

Based on past conversations on CC about Edge... the sunset verandas seem to be the most popular type of non-suite cabin. BUT don't sign up for a guaranteed SV cabin. One poster was 'upgraded' to an IV cabin right next to the MC... technically an upgrade... but not really. The 1A and 1B type cabins are the other class of cabins that are closer to traditional... photo in above post. These are now considered obstructed because the 'porthole' impacts the view from inside the cabin. FYI the size of the IV veranda... is about 7 1/2" x 4 1/2".... compared to S class at closer to 1 ft wider and 2 ft deeper.

Every time I see a picture of an IV cabin, it turns me off.  The veranda(?) is small...it's no better than sitting inside my home next to an open window...it's, at best, a french balcony, in "ship" parlance.  The IV cabins have sales sizzle, but when you see one, and this is an excellent picture, it just doesn't deliver that sizzle.  From a marketing perspective, that's a disaster.....but what do I know 🙂  

OP: I asked exactly the same question here a week or so ago....very disappointed that there are so few cabins with real balconies so I've just lumped the edge into the same category as the 5-6000 passenger behemoths which we just avoid....we are on a cruise, not a "club med" on the water.  We just aren't suite passengers...we're perfectly happy in a concierge/aqua room...we don't need the space, the "pampering", etc.  Fortunately there are many other choices. 

We'll just continue to book M and S class ships when booking Celebrity cruises.

Edited by ghstudio

1 minute ago, cruisestitch said:

Look again.  That is not a pcture of an IV (infinite verandah).  That is a standard verandah stateroom.

your right....my error.  Comments still apply though...it's not a verandah either.