orphans in Roatan

calmpets

On 2/3/2019 at 6:37 AM, newmexicoNita said:

that was a totally uncalled for remark, smile or no smile.

I an one that would rather give them supplies than a few hours on a ship. I am not worried about germs anymore than worried about germs other places 

I thought it was very funny!  Smile or no smile!

On 4/29/2019 at 12:53 PM, RickinNYC said:

I work for one of the larger homeless nonprofits in NYC; we operate 30 shelters and programs throughout the city.  I happen to be the director that oversees the volunteer department.  Over the years, I've received calls from various cruise companies that hoped to promote "voluntourism" as a shore excursion option.  Nice in theory and something I support. 

Our clients, shelters and staff reap the benefits of an enthusiastic group of volunteers by way of freshly painted dorms & shelters, spruced up gardens, sorted donated goods, etc...  Our clients are given the option of participating, or at least meeting the volunteers, saying hello, getting as involved, or not, as they choose.  Most opt out for their own personal reasons and I won't question their rationale.  

Now, in order to coordinate groups, it does take expense on our part.  I give a presentation about our agency and what we do in the community, about homelessness, about our clients, about mental illness & chemical addiction.  We have to purchase supplies to insure each volunteer is equipped.  We provide bottled water, lunch and staffing.  We give each participant a t-shirt to insure their own clothes don't get soiled or paint spattered.  I'm there before they arrive and stay well after they depart, and cheer lead along the way.  We take photos of volunteers in action and send them to both the company/cruise line, as well as email them to the volunteers. 

All that being said, it takes money to insure a successful volunteer opportunity for a group.  Thankfully, almost all companies and cruise lines will offer a donation to cover all costs, as well as a few dollars more to support our mission.  It's clear they understand and want to take the financial burden off of us, while also insuring their passengers' needs are met, while also meeting the needs of the charity.  

I wish it were always as simple as that, however.  One major/massive/multibillion $$ cruise line in particular didn't offer, so I had to gently guide them to understand why I was requesting money to purchase supplies, etc...  I was immediately told, albeit cheerfully "we don't have the budget for that, we just want to give back to the community.  We don't charge our passengers for this sort of shore excursion"  I explained further.  Nope.  Hence I politely said "thank you, no thank you".  The cheerful demeanor was dropped and was replaced by a shockingly bad attitude, "I can't believe you won't work with us."  I said, "I'm trying, but if you can't help us offset the expense it would take to work with you, it's not financially feasible to do so."  I was pretty surprised how insistent they became, yet abjectly refused to help with the supplies.  I kept trying to reason with them, then kept trying to simply end the conversation.  My hand was forced and I simply said, "we are a NON-profit" and was promptly hung up on.  I would have loved to have had the chance to talk to their passengers and let them know how their cruise line of choice operates, but, in good conscience, I can't.  

Anyway, very long winded way of saying voluntourism is great, provided it's done in a respectful, well though out manner, and doesn't come as a detriment to the agency or beneficiaries of support.  

I see your point of view.