orphans in Roatan

calmpets

2 hours ago, don24 said:

There's a difference between going somewhere different and experiencing another facet of life and being an orphan. They wake up knowing they are different from even those around them.  They live believing that they are unwanted and for a moment the curtains part and abundance, glamour and opulence are on parade. Then they go back to a place that is a warehouse for the unwanted our those who have lost everything , even a parent. They need the basics that we take for granted and not paraded through our self endulgant world. Don't get me wrong I got not one minute think these kids a worthless on the contrary I think struggle makes for a better adult. But we cant help by throwing a hamburger at them and feeling better about ourselves. Please don't think I'm on a soapbox.

First of all, they are not "unwanted". But I certainly do see your point.

These kids are probably old enough to have realized that other kids do have parents, and some of those are extremely rich and get everything they want. There's not much harm to be done.

I hope they'll look forward to the ship arriving next year. 

On 2/2/2019 at 5:51 PM, Hotspring said:

Exactly, plus think of the germs they might bring aboard!    While it may seem like a nice gesture, it was not well thought out.  Better that the cruise companies leave their left overs on the pier for the locals to pick up.   A lot of good food that has just been sitting out too long is being trashed.

Germs? Diseases? Dumping leftover food on the pier for them to eat the scraps like dogs? I can hear the ignorance and racism in your posts. I'm sure if they were European orphans you'd have no problem. 

• Like 4

This might win as the all time "dumbest" post I have ever read on here.

Third world diseases?  If "our country" was so worried about that, we would all have to show proof of vaccines for these "third world diseases" before we would be allowed to take a cruise.  The only thing I have had to do before I boarded was check "No" on the question asking whether I have been sick or not...regardless of whether I have really been sick or not.

...and the idea of not showing them how nice a cruise ship is because their living situation is not that "nice" is truly absurd.  I think it is more accurate to say, you don't want "them" coming and ruining how "nice" your situation is on the ship.

Edited by buzzard05
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, buzzard05 said:

This might win as the all time "dumbest" post I have ever read on here.

Third world diseases?  If "our country" was so worried about that, we would all have to show proof of vaccines for these "third world diseases" before we would be allowed to take a cruise.  The only thing I have had to do before I boarded was check "No" on the question asking whether I have been sick or not...regardless of whether I have really been sick or not.

...and the idea of not showing them how nice a cruise ship is because their living situation is not that "nice" is truly absurd.  I think it is more accurate to say, you don't want "them" coming and ruining how "nice" your situation is on the ship.

"Hold my beer" if you think the original was the dumbest post ever.  I will one up it.  They guy that complained about waiting for his burger behind the orphans, should have lowered his DSC to account for the "stress" of waiting in line.

Boom.

Edited by Gampy1967
correct typo

2 minutes ago, Gampy1967 said:

"Hold my beer" if you think the original was the dumbest post ever.  I will one up it.  They gut that complained about waiting for his burger behind the orphans, should have lowered his DSC to account for the "stress" of waiting in line.

Boom.

Ok...you're right...they win.

19 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

First of all, they are not "unwanted". But I certainly do see your point.

These kids are probably old enough to have realized that other kids do have parents, and some of those are extremely rich and get everything they want. There's not much harm to be done.

I hope they'll look forward to the ship arriving next year. 

I said they feel unwanted not they are unwanted but some are left by parents who can not or will not do what's right by them. That unfortunately is unwanted, not by us but by someone who is supposed to care for them.I wish them all the luck in the world. The look of despair in a child's eyes in unforgettable. I hope it's never seen again.

Edited by don24

WOW ! I started to read this post because my husband and I always bring a couple of suitcase of school supplies to the orphanage when we go to Roatan.   WE go to the Dollar Tree and buy things that they will need and enjoy.  The Captain has us come to a little meeting as the ship is docking and customs come onboard and do their business with the Captain and just look into our suitcases.  We then walk off the ship with the customs and take a cab to the orphanage.  Most of the kids arn't really orphans because they have no parents but  because the parents are in jail or on drugs.  The children range in age and are wonderful, beautiful and well behaved....and clean,,,they never know when we are comings so my best bet is that they are always clean !!!!!

I was an elementary teacher for 30 yrs.  I taught in Puerto Rico, Atlanta , San Jose Cali and upper state NY.  I could always predict who will get sick next...whether it is a virus, cold or chicken pox...because of who the child is sitting next to.... I taught well behaved , wonderful and beautiful clean children who were not orphans...and they had germs...!!!! 

I think it would be wonderful if all ships gave a few hrs of joy to children who have so little in life.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, don24 said:

I said they feel unwanted not they are unwanted but some are left by parents who can not or will not do what's right by them. That unfortunately is unwanted, not by us but by someone who is supposed to care for them.I wish them all the luck in the world. The look of despair in a child's eyes in unforgettable. I hope it's never seen again.

I didn't realize not all of the orphans were actual orphans, so I took "unwanted" as "unwanted by society" or something like that. I'm very sorry for my misunderstanding. 

Edited by AmazedByCruising

My son has a home in Roatan and lives there part of the year. More fortunate locals and members of the "expat" community hold events throughout the year for the.orphans and lower income children for back to school, Christmas etc. These kids are for the most part well taken care of, courteous and grateful. They see the ships come and go and are very excited to actually get to go aboard, meet one of the officers, get a tour and enjoy a meal. Many locals work for the cruise lines there in shore services -- a friend of my son's is a kitchen manager at Mahogany Bay and his kids would love to go onboard one of the ship s but not every child can go. I for one will always be glad to see less fortunate kids get the opportunity to do something really cool like this which is exactly how they view it. Trying hard not to interject myself into this "debate" as a host here on CC but have seen these children in the island and it pains me that they were basicaly resented and denigrated for just being kids having a special day. And FYI the orphanage has running water, electricity etc and while conditions may not be up to our standard of living, they have sinks, showers,  proper bathroom facilities and a laundry so they have clean linens and clothes. There is someone to care for them if the are sick..You are exposed to more germs during your day ashore than from these kids who took a field trip to the ship. 

Edited by Host Carolyn
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:11 PM, newbiecruiser25 said:

Germs? Diseases? Dumping leftover food on the pier for them to eat the scraps like dogs? I can hear the ignorance and racism in your posts. I'm sure if they were European orphans you'd have no problem. 

I did not suggest dumping the left over food on the pier, I just indicated that it could be left there instead of dumped in the garbage.  Anyone doing a behind the scene tour of any restaurant buffet know how much decent food is pulled and tossed simply because it is no longer on the menu.

Since most of the Roatan  population and thusly orphans are of European decent I fail to detect any racism in my comments.   

We work hard for our money to spend on our cocoon sanitized cruise vacation.    The last thing we need is to become sick on our vacations.   We have other options, but prefer to keep away from the foreign diseases that might be bought on board by any one other than those swore they were healthy enough to be on the ship.   What this string has elicited is that there are a whole slew of folks that consider the healthy form seriously.   They are not getting their third world inoculations.  They likely are the type that do not scrub their hands while singing the birthday song after using the toilet.  So so much for hoping for a sanitize environment on a cruise ship.    At least we all have picked up on some tips what we can bring to the third world countries we cruise to  ease our guilt for enjoying the benefits of working so hard.

On 2/2/2019 at 2:46 PM, SeaTheW0rld said:

What is one visit to a cruise ship going to do for them except show them more of what they don't have? 

You never know, it might give them something to aspire to.  It could change a life, work harder in school, etc.  I had a 6th grade teacher that changed my life !  You never know, look back in your life sometimes all it takes is a special moment.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 11:55 AM, TonyB17 said:

Maybe I'm naïve, but I don't understand the problem with bringing children on board.  Because they'll see something "nicer" than what they have?  By this logic, should we stop feeding them because they'll just be hungry tomorrow?  Who can say what being on a cruise ship for an afternoon might inspire them to do when they get older? 

Exactly.  I guess, it hurts some people to be nice.  These are the same people who never say please and thank you to the crew.  Listen to the people around you that ask for a drink or are served at dinner and never say please or thank you !  It's surprising how rude people are, so, it doesn't surprise me these people wouldn't want the kids on the ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daveispar said:

You never know, it might give them something to aspire to.  It could change a life, work harder in school, etc.  I had a 6th grade teacher that changed my life !  You never know, look back in your life sometimes all it takes is a special moment.

My son has been in the Peace Corps for the last two years (he will be home in November) He is lucky to be working with a group of children that he can possibly change their lives for the better. Some of the comments here are just downright heartless and out of touch

Edited by Laszlo

I have no personal issue with it.  It seems they are only on board for a couple of hours.  I assume they have all gone through the appropriate medical screening to ensure they aren't bringing illness on board and are properly supervised while on board.  Some have sarcastically blown it off, but older people are more susceptible to illness.

I also have no issue with others having a problem with it - they are paying for a vacation.  Its their right to have a problem with their vacation being disrupted (albeit slightly). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stealthdog said:

I have no personal issue with it.  It seems they are only on board for a couple of hours.  I assume they have all gone through the appropriate medical screening to ensure they aren't bringing illness on board and are properly supervised while on board.  Some have sarcastically blown it off, but older people are more susceptible to illness.

I also have no issue with others having a problem with it - they are paying for a vacation.  Its their right to have a problem with their vacation being disrupted (albeit slightly). 

Last week I sailed on NCL for the first time after A couple of dozen cruises on other lines. After reading this thread, I realize that these are not the people I want to sail with. I cannot, imagine people with hearts so al that they are inconvenienced by orphans. What the heck is wrong with people?  (Please don’t answer.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ithaca gal said:

Last week I sailed on NCL for the first time after A couple of dozen cruises on other lines. After reading this thread, I realize that these are not the people I want to sail with. I cannot, imagine people with hearts so al that they are inconvenienced by orphans. What the heck is wrong with people?  (Please don’t answer.)

1) the incident and complaint sparking this discussion occurred on Carnival, not NCL, fwiw.

2) I think comments on this thread are at least 2:1 "pro-orphan"--so maybe we actually could be the people you would like to sail with?

27 minutes ago, quercus alba said:

1) the incident and complaint sparking this discussion occurred on Carnival, not NCL, fwiw.

2) I think comments on this thread are at least 2:1 "pro-orphan"--so maybe we actually could be the people you would like to sail with?

I realize the incident was on another line but please read the comments from other people replying to this. I’m judging that they sail on NCL if they were on this thread.  

I've been to Sandy Bay Ministries via a previous Norwegian cruise.  The kids melted my heart in a big way, especially Sindy.  It is very well run, very clean and supported by Trustees from the US.  I still help via Amazon as a portion of what I spend is given to Sandy Bay.

With all that said, there are valid concerns concerning Roatan.  I'm pretty sure that if you visit Roatan, you are not allowed to give blood for a period of time due to what you may be exposed to.  I was aware of that prior to the trip, and felt the risk was worth it to help others less fortunate.  Ultimately, I put my faith in God above that gives me a heart and means to help others. 

Enjoy Roatan.  Support the orphans.  But, take reasonable precautions to protect your own health.

My son lives in Roatan part of the year. The orphanage is well run in part due to help from the large ex pat community there. It's clean, good school and kids very courteous. Ship visits are field trips to learn how the ship runs, jobs there etc. The cruise lines employ a lot of locals and despite some grumbling as expected re crowded beaches, traffic ( which is always a mess) most locals appreciate the help to the economy. No One needs to worry about germs etc. 

17 hours ago, ithaca gal said:

I realize the incident was on another line but please read the comments from other people replying to this. I’m judging that they sail on NCL if they were on this thread.  

People on this board likely sail multiple cruise lines.  Just like people that post on other boards probably do not sail exclusively with that line.  I personally read the boards of the cruise line I am next cruising because that is most relevant to me.

There is a good chance someone you find offensive will be on one of your future cruises regardless of what line you are on.  There is no escaping professional cruisers. :)

Edited by Stealthdog

I don't understand why they were allowed on the ship for any reason.  I did not think anyone was allowed to bring a non-ticketed person on the boat with them.  I try and bring a hooker back with me and get told no and they are allowed on and get a free lunch.  Does not seem fair to me.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I work for one of the larger homeless nonprofits in NYC; we operate 30 shelters and programs throughout the city.  I happen to be the director that oversees the volunteer department.  Over the years, I've received calls from various cruise companies that hoped to promote "voluntourism" as a shore excursion option.  Nice in theory and something I support. 

Our clients, shelters and staff reap the benefits of an enthusiastic group of volunteers by way of freshly painted dorms & shelters, spruced up gardens, sorted donated goods, etc...  Our clients are given the option of participating, or at least meeting the volunteers, saying hello, getting as involved, or not, as they choose.  Most opt out for their own personal reasons and I won't question their rationale.  

Now, in order to coordinate groups, it does take expense on our part.  I give a presentation about our agency and what we do in the community, about homelessness, about our clients, about mental illness & chemical addiction.  We have to purchase supplies to insure each volunteer is equipped.  We provide bottled water, lunch and staffing.  We give each participant a t-shirt to insure their own clothes don't get soiled or paint spattered.  I'm there before they arrive and stay well after they depart, and cheer lead along the way.  We take photos of volunteers in action and send them to both the company/cruise line, as well as email them to the volunteers. 

All that being said, it takes money to insure a successful volunteer opportunity for a group.  Thankfully, almost all companies and cruise lines will offer a donation to cover all costs, as well as a few dollars more to support our mission.  It's clear they understand and want to take the financial burden off of us, while also insuring their passengers' needs are met, while also meeting the needs of the charity.  

I wish it were always as simple as that, however.  One major/massive/multibillion $$ cruise line in particular didn't offer, so I had to gently guide them to understand why I was requesting money to purchase supplies, etc...  I was immediately told, albeit cheerfully "we don't have the budget for that, we just want to give back to the community.  We don't charge our passengers for this sort of shore excursion"  I explained further.  Nope.  Hence I politely said "thank you, no thank you".  The cheerful demeanor was dropped and was replaced by a shockingly bad attitude, "I can't believe you won't work with us."  I said, "I'm trying, but if you can't help us offset the expense it would take to work with you, it's not financially feasible to do so."  I was pretty surprised how insistent they became, yet abjectly refused to help with the supplies.  I kept trying to reason with them, then kept trying to simply end the conversation.  My hand was forced and I simply said, "we are a NON-profit" and was promptly hung up on.  I would have loved to have had the chance to talk to their passengers and let them know how their cruise line of choice operates, but, in good conscience, I can't.  

Anyway, very long winded way of saying voluntourism is great, provided it's done in a respectful, well though out manner, and doesn't come as a detriment to the agency or beneficiaries of support.