orphans in Roatan

calmpets

So even though I have never sailed on Carnival, I follow John Heald on 🙂📖, and I found a post yesterday about Carnival having a group of orphans onboard one of their ships when it stopped in Roatan. Does NCL ever do anything like this? It's a nice humanitarian gesture. Unfortunately the context it was mentioned in was some soulless person complaining about it. Seriously, who complains about anyone feeding orphans? Regardless, it made me wonder if NCL does similar things that we may or may not be aware of. Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, calmpets said:

So even though I have never sailed on Carnival, I follow John Heald on 🙂📖, and I found a post yesterday about Carnival having a group of orphans onboard one of their ships when it stopped in Roatan. Does NCL ever do anything like this? It's a nice humanitarian gesture. Unfortunately the context it was mentioned in was some soulless person complaining about it. Seriously, who complains about anyone feeding orphans? Regardless, it made me wonder if NCL does similar things that we may or may not be aware of. Any thoughts?

Very nice of Carnival.

Never heard of it happening on NCL.

27 minutes ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

What is one visit to a cruise ship going to do for them except show them more of what they don't have? 

According to the further info posted this morning, Carnival brought the inhabitants of an orphanage onboard (approximately 40 orphans), gave them some gifts from the kids club, showed them the ship, let them play mini golf, and gave them burgers and ice cream. It was the burger line that ticked off the person who made the initial complaint. In fact, let me quote it here "Why are all these children allowed to come on the ship in Roatan today. They are all in line for guys burgers. We paid to be on the ship and enjoy the peace when most pax are ashore. I was told it was an orphanage but why are they allowed to come on the ship and tour? I would have thought the answer would be no, for security purposes."

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hotspring said:

Exactly, plus think of the germs they might bring aboard!    While it may seem like a nice gesture, it was not well thought out.  Better that the cruise companies leave their left overs on the pier for the locals to pick up.   A lot of good food that has just been sitting out too long is being trashed.

There is no more risk to having them onboard than there is to visiting their island. Do you think their "germs" don't exist when you come in contact with them on land? I'm also not under the impression that orphans have different germs than children with parents.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, calmpets said:

According to the further info posted this morning, Carnival brought the inhabitants of an orphanage onboard (approximately 40 orphans), gave them some gifts from the kids club, showed them the ship, let them play mini golf, and gave them burgers and ice cream. It was the burger line that ticked off the person who made the initial complaint. In fact, let me quote it here "Why are all these children allowed to come on the ship in Roatan today. They are all in line for guys burgers. We paid to be on the ship and enjoy the peace when most pax are ashore. I was told it was an orphanage but why are they allowed to come on the ship and tour? I would have thought the answer would be no, for security purposes."

That pax is a jag. But I stand by about what I said earlier. Sometimes it's better to not know. 

Many of the cruise lines that serve the Caribbean give both money as well as assistance for Hurricane victims.  Here is a sample off some of the recent efforts.  As I recall NCL was criticized by cruisers for allowing storm refugees from one of the islands on to their ship.

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/week-cruise-cruise-lines-aid-hurricane-irma-relief

https://www.ncl.com/hope-starts-here

https://leisuregrouptravel.com/cruise-lines-help-hurricane-victims/

• Like 2

A great way to help is to visit Made in Roatan "Made in Roatan is a non profit shop that aids in teaching and helping local families to make wonderful hand crafted items: seaglass jewelry, local jade, wood carvings, paintings, coin jewelry, and local recycled tin. All proceeds go back to the local families Teach a man to fish...."  The shop is up the street from the Coxan Hole Cruise Dock.  They will accept all kind of craft supplies you can bring with you on the ship. Several years ago our Meet and Mingle group took a large donation of supplies. No better place to buy gifts to take home!! They have a Facebook page if your interested.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RedRover96 said:

A great way to help is to visit Made in Roatan "Made in Roatan is a non profit shop that aids in teaching and helping local families to make wonderful hand crafted items: seaglass jewelry, local jade, wood carvings, paintings, coin jewelry, and local recycled tin. All proceeds go back to the local families Teach a man to fish...."  The shop is up the street from the Coxan Hole Cruise Dock.  They will accept all kind of craft supplies you can bring with you on the ship. Several years ago our Meet and Mingle group took a large donation of supplies. No better place to buy gifts to take home!! They have a Facebook page if your interested.

GREAT SUGGESTION!   Knowing of a means to help the third world while we are dropping in for a visit will greatly help the guilt that some feel at having been blessed to be living in 1st world country.   There has to be something more we can do than throw generous tips to our tour guides,  you have identified a way.

8 hours ago, emm126 said:

I think it is a wonderful  thing to do. I am guessing the reason why NCL does not do it is because they have not figured out a way to charge the orphans an upcharge fee with 20% service charge. :classic_biggrin:

that was a totally uncalled for remark, smile or no smile.

I an one that would rather give them supplies than a few hours on a ship. I am not worried about germs anymore than worried about germs other places 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, vpearlkc said:

I have never had a health screening before any cruise and have seen many threads about norovirus in the last few months on this board. I don't think cruise ships are as pristine as you think they are.

By "health screening" I think they mean the form you fill out in the terminal, stating you aren't sick.

17 minutes ago, calmpets said:

By "health screening" I think they mean the form you fill out in the terminal, stating you aren't sick.

Wow! I vaguely remember that. If it reassures someone who is afraid of  "denizens" of third world countries I guess that's good. BTW I prefer to call them people.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

that was a totally uncalled for remark, smile or no smile.

I an one that would rather give them supplies than a few hours on a ship. I am not worried about germs anymore than worried about germs other places 

Well, I thought it was funny.

Why can't they do both? I stand by original statement, I think it is a very nice thing to do.

• Like 3

I went to an orphanage while visiting Roatan the first week of Jnauary and I am still ALIVE!!  We went to the Sandy Bay Lighthouse Ministries home.  Not sure what some think, but its clean, running water, dentist comes twice a year, regular doctor visits, they are very well cared for.  If they didnt come as a group and stood out you would have never known.  They are kids just like the ones you see day to day. How many kids on the ship do parents choose not to immunize?

Anyway imo, nice to give an experience to the kids, it's nice to give back, simple yet meaningful.  Carnival also offers excursions at multiple ports to see orphanges and the such. Really good experience and tours. 

We can all agree that the germphobic amongst us are out to lunch. But in truth bringing these kids onboard only shines a spotlight on how bad they have it. Nothing shows you how poor you really are than seeing how wealthy others live. There's all kinds of ways to help. This just feels like rubbing there noses in it. I appreciate the want to help but sometimes restraint is the prudent response.

24 minutes ago, don24 said:

We can all agree that the germphobic amongst us are out to lunch. But in truth bringing these kids onboard only shines a spotlight on how bad they have it. Nothing shows you how poor you really are than seeing how wealthy others live. There's all kinds of ways to help. This just feels like rubbing there noses in it. I appreciate the want to help but sometimes restraint is the prudent response.

I disagree, many people go on expensive vacations that don’t resemble their day to day at all. I know there are so many people who live MUCH more lavish lives than I do, with way less money worries. Would I turn down a free luxury trip because I would feel bad not living that life?

• Like 1

Hard to know what is best. I have friends who feel they lack certain things in their life tell me

they feel bad when they see what others have. Things like children, grandchildren, enough money

for a vacation, the list goes on. There will always be people who have more (and less) than us.

In these children's cases I  think of it like a field trip. They get to go see something they have never

seen before, get some gifts and some delicious food. What they might feel badly about is seeing

other children on the ship that have parents.

Maybe I'm naïve, but I don't understand the problem with bringing children on board.  Because they'll see something "nicer" than what they have?  By this logic, should we stop feeding them because they'll just be hungry tomorrow?  Who can say what being on a cruise ship for an afternoon might inspire them to do when they get older? 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, don24 said:

But in truth bringing these kids onboard only shines a spotlight on how bad they have it. Nothing shows you how poor you really are than seeing how wealthy others live

Not sure about the age of the orphans, but I don't think they would compare the life of people with another language, another culture, of whom they know that they are not always on a cruise either, to their own daily life. 

When I was 10, I remember being jealous of another kid that had a real Personal Computer at home. Michael Knight driving a super dream car never made me jealous. I would have loved to be invited to sit in KITT once in my lifetime.

37 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I disagree, many people go on expensive vacations that don’t resemble their day to day at all. I know there are so many people who live MUCH more lavish lives than I do, with way less money worries. Would I turn down a free luxury trip because I would feel bad not living that life?

There's a difference between going somewhere different and experiencing another facet of life and being an orphan. They wake up knowing they are different from even those around them.  They live believing that they are unwanted and for a moment the curtains part and abundance, glamour and opulence are on parade. Then they go back to a place that is a warehouse for the unwanted our those who have lost everything , even a parent. They need the basics that we take for granted and not paraded through our self endulgant world. Don't get me wrong I got not one minute think these kids a worthless on the contrary I think struggle makes for a better adult. But we cant help by throwing a hamburger at them and feeling better about ourselves. Please don't think I'm on a soapbox.

Edited by don24

37 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

Hard to know what is best. I have friends who feel they lack certain things in their life tell me

they feel bad when they see what others have. Things like children, grandchildren, enough money

for a vacation, the list goes on. There will always be people who have more (and less) than us.

In these children's cases I  think of it like a field trip. They get to go see something they have never

seen before, get some gifts and some delicious food. What they might feel badly about is seeing

other children on the ship that have parents.

I’m sure they see kids in their own neighborhood with parents.

On 2/2/2019 at 8:02 PM, Visigoth said:

Many of the cruise lines that serve the Caribbean give both money as well as assistance for Hurricane victims.  Here is a sample off some of the recent efforts.  As I recall NCL was criticized by cruisers for allowing storm refugees from one of the islands on to their ship.

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/week-cruise-cruise-lines-aid-hurricane-irma-relief

https://www.ncl.com/hope-starts-here

https://leisuregrouptravel.com/cruise-lines-help-hurricane-victims/

Good to know.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around how some feel other kids, like the orphans they mention, are "germier" than any passenger on the ship is?  These orphans aren't disease carrying monsters.  They are subject to a very unfortunate set of circumstances, in which they find themselves in greater need than the passengers on the ship. I'd bet they're much more appreciative of their "day" on the ship than some who actually spent money to cruise.

• Like 2