Is the $20 steak and lobster MDR upcharge identical to the Steakhouse option

Joebucks

On 2/3/2019 at 10:10 AM, Joebucks said:

Is the $20 steak and lobster MDR upcharge identical to the Steakhouse option? I understand I won't get the same appetizers and desserts, etc. 

No. Not cooked in the same area, nor prepped the same. The name in the menu is misleading.

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2019 at 5:14 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Does not seem misleading to me....Stekhouse selections .... not prepared or cooked in the steakhouse.  What it says is what it implies, something that is better and that requires a charge.

It is misleading on those ships with a Steakhouse. One could make the assumption that they are getting something that is prepared in the steakhouse when, in fact, it isn't. It doesn't say anywhere in that section of the MDR menu that these items are NOT prepared in the Steakhouse.

On 2/10/2019 at 6:14 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Does not seem misleading to me....Stekhouse selections .... not prepared or cooked in the steakhouse.  What it says is what it implies, something that is better and that requires a charge.

MDR steakhouse options are indeed better than any steak or lobster tail that is normally on the MDR menu.  That is what the upcharge is for.

However, the steakhouse selections you get in the MDR are inferior to what you can order in the Steakhouse itself.

IOW:   MDR regular menu < MDR steakhouse orders < Steakhouse options

If someone is happy paying $20 for a steak in the MDR, good for them.  I prefer to spend the $38 in the Steakhouse instead.

JMO, YMMV.

41 minutes ago, evandbob said:

MDR steakhouse options are indeed better than any steak or lobster tail that is normally on the MDR menu.  That is what the upcharge is for.

However, the steakhouse selections you get in the MDR are inferior to what you can order in the Steakhouse itself.

IOW:   MDR regular menu < MDR steakhouse orders < Steakhouse options

If someone is happy paying $20 for a steak in the MDR, good for them.  I prefer to spend the $38 in the Steakhouse instead.

JMO, YMMV.

I agree on all counts, I have never gotten one in the MDR for that very reason.

1 hour ago, Keys2Heaven said:

It is misleading on those ships with a Steakhouse. One could make the assumption that they are getting something that is prepared in the steakhouse when, in fact, it isn't. It doesn't say anywhere in that section of the MDR menu that these items are NOT prepared in the Steakhouse.

I get your point, but disagree.  The operative word in your argument in assumption.  I would think it silly to have something prepared many decks away.....  

24 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I get your point, but disagree.  The operative word in your argument in assumption.  I would think it silly to have something prepared many decks away.....  

But you can't "assume" that all cruisers know this.

2 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

But you can't "assume" that all cruisers know this.

If they have questions they can ask their waitstaff, if we need to clarify any potential mis-read of something on the menu, it would be a book.  I wonder how many people actually get these options....

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

If they have questions they can ask their waitstaff, if we need to clarify any potential mis-read of something on the menu, it would be a book.  I wonder how many people actually get these options....

Who is "we?"

Look Jim, I'm not trying to pick a fight or tell you that you're wrong. You just have an opinion that I disagree with.

On the Vista a couple of years ago, I decided to get an upcharge steak from the MDR. We try to go to the steakhouse at least once per cruise, but I guess we were too lazy. Anyway, I ordered the New York strip. WORST. STEAK. EVER.

Told the waitstaff, but still had to pay for it. My assumption from reading the menu was that this was a steakhouse prepared steak. Otherwise, why call them "Steakhouse" selections. 

After our cruise, I came to these forums only to find out my assumption was incorrect.

Yes, it can happen and, yes, folks get these options. Can I give you an exact count, no. But I'll make another assumption that enough people do to keep those offerings on the menu.

27 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

Who is "we?"

Look Jim, I'm not trying to pick a fight or tell you that you're wrong. You just have an opinion that I disagree with.

On the Vista a couple of years ago, I decided to get an upcharge steak from the MDR. We try to go to the steakhouse at least once per cruise, but I guess we were too lazy. Anyway, I ordered the New York strip. WORST. STEAK. EVER.

Told the waitstaff, but still had to pay for it. My assumption from reading the menu was that this was a steakhouse prepared steak. Otherwise, why call them "Steakhouse" selections. 

After our cruise, I came to these forums only to find out my assumption was incorrect.

Yes, it can happen and, yes, folks get these options. Can I give you an exact count, no. But I'll make another assumption that enough people do to keep those offerings on the menu.

Well I cannot argue with worst steak ever, Eapecially when it is one word sentences, nothing wrong with difference of opinions.   We have different views on this topic, next time try the steakhouse.  Hopefully it will be better, maybe even good.  

On 2/5/2019 at 3:59 PM, kona_wahine said:

Pay the extra few dollars and go to the steakhouse. I ordered it once, not worth it in MDR

You get what you pay for.  The  other lines have good lobster.

14 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Well I cannot argue with worst steak ever, Eapecially when it is one word sentences, nothing wrong with difference of opinions.   We have different views on this topic, next time try the steakhouse.  Hopefully it will be better, maybe even good.  

Yes, been to the steakhouse quiet a few times. It is very good.

Our views are only "different" with regards to what the meaning of "Steakhouse Selections" means on the MDR menu. Again, my position is that less experienced cruisers may assume that these offerings are indeed from the steakhouse, when they are not.

But, as always, feel free to reply to this and leave some subtle dig as only you can do.

10 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I found your problem. You ordered a New York strip. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed that cut of meat.

I've had a NYS that was excellent only once that I remember. I had that at Harry Caray's Italian Steakhouse in Chicago. Ummm, like butter.

Have you had the Wagyu from the steakhouse yet?

30 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

I've had a NYS that was excellent only once that I remember. I had that at Harry Caray's Italian Steakhouse in Chicago. Ummm, like butter.

Have you had the Wagyu from the steakhouse yet?

I had the Wagyu last month. It was pretty good. I regret not getting the Ribeye though. 

43 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

Yes, been to the steakhouse quiet a few times. It is very good.

Our views are only "different" with regards to what the meaning of "Steakhouse Selections" means on the MDR menu. Again, my position is that less experienced cruisers may assume that these offerings are indeed from the steakhouse, when they are not.

But, as always, feel free to reply to this and leave some subtle dig as only you can do.

It actually was just a suggestion, I don’t think you had previously mentioned that...if you did my most humble apologies.  Subtle digs are not even close to my best attribute...😉

12 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I had the Wagyu last month. It was pretty good. I regret not getting the Ribeye though. 

Ribeye is the best, the marbling certainly adds to the flavor, I have had great ones and ones there good.  When we do multiple visits to the steakhouse, I do sample other cuts as well (usually ask for the dry rub on these) most often feel the same.

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Ribeye is the best, the marbling certainly adds to the flavor, I have had great ones and ones there good.  When we do multiple visits to the steakhouse, I do sample other cuts as well (usually ask for the dry rub on these) most often feel the same.

Agreed. It was a tasty steak, and very well-prepared. However, I was naive in expecting a well-prepared, super-flat iron could surpass an equally well-prepared ribeye. Next time, I won't let anything get in my way of the spice rubbed ribeye! Until I see the filet/lobster. Hmmmm.

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2019 at 6:41 PM, coevan said:

You will not be disappointed. For someone to say "slightly better service" is not accurate. The service and food in the Steakhouse are outstanding. Yes, they do serve Prime steaks in the Steakhouse and as I mentioned earlier it's the super hot grill that gets the steaks so delicious. The Steaks in the MDR are baked on a sheet pan, not cooked to order like the Steakhouse, no comparison. We go at least twice a week.

I had terrible service in the steakhouse. Couldn't get water refilled. They just ignored me. I finally got up and left and made a complaint.

I was in a steakhouse in Miami one NYE and ordered steak. I couldn't cut it because it was so tough. The waiter offered me a sharper knife!

Edited by crusinpsychRN