No Real Beds Except In Suites+?

purpletequila

Got my email, checking things out.

I know some will consider their room designs to be “innovative” or “revolutionary,” but I have to just put it out there. 

I’m not cruising on any line that only gives real beds to suite passengers. LOL! 

Sorry. The rest of the design and the concept sounds and looks amazing to me but, being an “adult,” I need an actual bed and being on vacation, I want a comfortable one.

Obviously I haven’t been onboard and there aren’t any reviews yet but these things do nor look promising. At all. And unless they’re swapping out the cushions every month, they look like they’re going to wear out quickly. 

Is this where we’re at now? If you want a real bed, pay for a suite or live like a college kid with “transitional” furniture? 

• Like 2

I was thinking the same thing!  Although we typically books Suites anyway, but I was thinking since they are a new cruise line that I would go a little cheaper to check it out.  But I definitely do NOT want to stay in a room that equates to a college dorm room - not for the prices they are charging.... I would expect that on Carnival.

We've been on lots of cruises, regular cabins and suites, and the beds never consist of a mattress and box spring, if that is what you consider a "real mattress". There is always only one layer, to allow for storage under the bed. I suggest you wait for reviews before you condemn the design. I think it is creative - just hope there is storage space in the support structure.

Many beds these days do not require a box spring. An example is Casper, they just need a platform to rest on, just because it lacks a mattress does not make it a real bed. I do find the configuration on normal cabins a bit strange that you must move the couch to make the bed. 

• Like 1

The SeaBeds are manufactured and designed by Walter Knoll in Germany.  I'm guessing they will be pretty high quality, and probably very firm which I like but I know many others don't.  Maybe like sitting on a rock!  LOL. 

To be fair convertible beds to sofas on cruise ships are nothing new or innovative.  Back when cabins were very small, this was actually pretty common.  All beds on Royal Caribbean's early ships converted to sofas by day.  They were usually in an L-Shape.  This was a clever solution to very small cabins.  As cabins became larger, a permanent sofa became pretty standard in most cabins on most cruise ships.  The need for a convertible sofa bed was no longer required.  Virgin Voyages for whatever reason decided to bring the concept back. 

I think another reason most cruise lines abandoned the idea is the amount of extra work involved for the cabin stewards.  It will take a lot of extra time to make and unmake all those sofas-to-beds each and every day.  That means more staffing required which means more salaries to pay and more $$ for the cruise line.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, twodjs said:

We've been on lots of cruises, regular cabins and suites, and the beds never consist of a mattress and box spring, if that is what you consider a "real mattress". There is always only one layer, to allow for storage under the bed. I suggest you wait for reviews before you condemn the design. I think it is creative - just hope there is storage space in the support structure.

If they need a couch to double as a bed, I wouldn’t hold my breath for, or expect any real space. And I acknowledged there aren’t any reviews yet. However, that is something that is going to change from week to week based on useage which is my real concern. With no other seating area, they are going to get used a lot. 

I don’t know. They haven’t sailed yet but in case they’re reading, I’m just saying, I can not be alone with these thoughts and it will positively keep me from booking. Sticking with X for now. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, eroller said:

The SeaBeds are manufactured and designed by Walter Knoll in Germany.  I'm guessing they will be pretty high quality, and probably very firm which I like but I know many others don't.  Maybe like sitting on a rock!  LOL. 

To be fair convertible beds to sofas on cruise ships are nothing new or innovative.  Back when cabins were very small, this was actually pretty common.  All beds on Royal Caribbean's early ships converted to sofas by day.  They were usually in an L-Shape.  This was a clever solution to very small cabins.  As cabins became larger, a permanent sofa became pretty standard in most cabins on most cruise ships.  The need for a convertible sofa bed was no longer required.  Virgin Voyages for whatever reason decided to bring the concept back. 

I think another reason most cruise lines abandoned the idea is the amount of extra work involved for the cabin stewards.  It will take a lot of extra time to make and unmake all those sofas-to-beds each and every day.  That means more staffing required which means more salaries to pay and more $$ for the cruise line.  

Could be a labor deal for why other lines dumped the style but it could also be that they were horrible dorm like slabs. Time will tell. You all let me know. 

• Like 1

I don’t understand these beds. Are they in an L shape? One person sleeps against the wall and the other person perpendicular to them? Are they going to tuck the bedcovers in neatly like the photos, or just do a “pull up “ like Royal does? What about those pillows? Do you throw them off the bed when you sleep? I always take the decorative pillows and little cummerbund strip off the bed and put them in the closet because I know they are not washed between guests. Not sure if I care for this setup.

Most cruise lines use two twin sized beds that join together to make a single queen sized bed. I've cruised several lines and only Disney is an exception to this. All VV is doing is separating them into a seating area during the day instead of keeping them in a bed configuration.

ANM-CAB-transformation-v1-01-410x273.gif.0c25452fc34d4aee965161bfe9ff8d3d.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChipLondon said:

I have been onboard the ship, and seen “the bed” it is comfortable and the two pieces will have a full matteress topper so it will feel like a regular quality bed.

Is the cabin steward supposed to move the bed everyday by default?

The cabin stewards will, by default, do it for you. However, to add some Branson/Virgin magic, there is a passenger contest on the last day of the cruise to see which passenger can convert and then reconvert the beds the fastest. It is recommended that passengers do this themselves every day of the cruise so that they are well practiced and capable of seriously competing for the soon to be highly desired Champion Cabin Bed Award. Imagine the pride you will have showing off that award!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I’d feel weird having to sleep on a bed that people have used to hang out on as a couch.  Sitting on, eating and watching TV on, cookie crumbs.  The couch would be a canvas or fabric material, and would the topper be kept clean from taking it on and off so often?  Would they would put cleanly washed sheets on every night?    The floor would be dirtier too on the side of the bed used as a couch

• Like 2

Wow, all these "Debbie Downers" nixing the concept. Geez...give Virgin a little credit. Don't you think they've considered all your reasons why this won't work? Just have the room steward leave the bed made up if you take afternoon naps. Or do you really have to be under the sheets to take a nap? And how filthy are you if you leave a disgusting mess all over the sofa and floor after just 8 hours? Good room stewards will tidy up daily before the turndown service.  Why would the room steward need to change the sheets every day? They will have a very effecient way to make and unmake the beds without throwing the sheets and duvets on the floor. Let the ship launch, experience the cabin, then give your opinion.

• Like 9

The rooms are tiny compare to other modern ships... most new ships have a separate sleeping and sitting area... however, with the smaller rooms.. they have to get creative. It's not a new concept. 

I remember when Royal Caribbean's Sovereign Class ships came out... the beds are placed against the walls (one by the window and one on the adjacent wall).. during the day, they place a cover over the bed and the backrest comes down and it formed an L shape couch in the room... at night it turns into either 1 big bed or 2 smaller beds. 

It's not a new concept, it's been done before. Just it's labor intensive and eventually Royal Caribbean just kept them as beds all day long.. and now they removed the back rest so if you go on Majesty of the Seas (the only Sovereign class left in Royal Caribbean's fleet), you wont even realize that was the concept when it first came out.

Unknown.jpeg 
the photo was a stock photo that they used in all the brochures and I just found it on Google.

Edited by SkaterJasp

10 hours ago, SkaterJasp said:

The rooms are tiny compare to other modern ships... 

VV lists the terrace cabins at 225-265 sq ft - most mainline cruise ship's balcony cabins are smaller than that. The sea view and insides are small, but not the terrace ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

VV lists the terrace cabins at 225-265 sq ft - most mainline cruise ship's balcony cabins are smaller than that. The sea view and insides are small, but not the terrace ones.

I’m pretty sure VV measurement includes the balcony whereas other cruise line gives the measurements of the actual room and a separate measurement of the balconies.

The smallest balcony cabin on a modern Royal Caribbean ship (voyager class or newer) is 179 to 182 sq ft with a small balcony of 40 to 50sq ft making it a total of 232 sq ft. That extra sq footage is enough to put in a separate couch and bed. The aft facing terrace room looks like the same size as all the other terrace, except have a massive balcony in the back. 

If VV terrace size rooms are truley bigger, they did a really bad job at the layout if they can’t manage to cram in a separate sofa or even a love seat. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, 2tixParadise said:

I’d feel weird having to sleep on a bed that people have used to hang out on as a couch.  Sitting on, eating and watching TV on, cookie crumbs.  The couch would be a canvas or fabric material, and would the topper be kept clean from taking it on and off so often?  Would they would put cleanly washed sheets on every night?    The floor would be dirtier too on the side of the bed used as a couch

I'm sure that people are also having sex on that couch/bed. Possibly on the floor and balcony too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 2/18/2019 at 10:14 AM, SkaterJasp said:

If VV terrace size rooms are truley bigger, they did a really bad job at the layout if they can’t manage to cram in a separate sofa or even a love seat. 

Their whole point with the movable bed is to eliminate the need for the sofa. I assume those measurement do include the terrace, but even smallest cabin (225 sq ft) with a 40 sq ft terrace will have a 185 sq ft cabin, which is on par with other lines.

I actually appreciate the sitting area that changes to a normal bed idea. It's a common feature of tourism and homes worldwide.

People pay more than an average cruise ticket price for the short stay orient express cabins and they convert from sitting area to bed by attendants each day and those compartments are smaller than any modern cruise ship cabin.

• Like 2