No Real Beds Except In Suites+?

purpletequila

3 hours ago, Don'tNeedAName said:

First, anyone certainly has the right to assume whatever they want.  However, I am not sure what you think I am assuming about "you."  I don't even know who you are--this is an anonymous message board... for most people anyway.  Nonetheless, to make it explicit, I don't think you are a bad person (not that you care, nor should you anyway).  That doesn't change the matter that stating that someone who enjoys fitness could just go to Golds Gym cheaper than going on a cruise is condescending whether you want to believe it or not.  Did you not type that, or the other things I have responded to?

Furthermore, I'm really not sure what you're getting at with: "Plus you just confirmed basically what I said. "Other cruise ones do not major in it". Guess you need to reread you own posts."  You may want to take your own advice with respect to rereading, since that was the entire point of my comment.

To spell it out more, you recognize that other cruise lines "do not major in it," yet you question why VV would go "way over the top" with health & fitness related offerings when "all cruise lines have gyms."  My point is that you are answering your own question because someone who finds exercise and fitness relaxing would enjoy a cruise line that makes it a priority (i.e., "majors" in it) as opposed to all other cruise lines with the same old gyms.

Well said.  You are not nuts lol.  This person obviously has no skin in the game and still wants to bash VV.   You would think that they would just go away as they are not booked and are building a reputation. I do like the ignore feature may have to turn to it pretty quick here lol.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, creativegenius said:

Virgin has the right idea to eliminate 'specialty dining' fees, eliminate soft drink fees, eliminate WiFi fees.  I'm hoping some of the other mainstream lines will take notice, especially the WiFi and soft drinks. 

Have you ever been on an RCI ship in the afternoon and try to get online? Even with a fairly expensive internet fee, the system gets oversubscribed to make it really worthwhile. What do you think will happen if it becomes free?

13 hours ago, Nymich said:

Well said.  You are not nuts lol.  This person obviously has no skin in the game and still wants to bash VV.   You would think that they would just go away as they are not booked and are building a reputation. I do like the ignore feature may have to turn to it pretty quick here lol.

Where do you come up with bash? All I did was post my views. I did not  bash it at all. Give it up will you. I do not think that a fold out couch is a great way to sleep after paying the high price. You do, that is fine. I am not going after you like you are of me. How rude. That is my opinion and you plus others should respect it as I do yours about the ship.  Same with the over the top on exercising. Again, my opinion and not bashing, as you so rudely say. I already left this and you keep going after me. Stick to remarks about the ship and not me. Please!

4 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Where do you come up with bash? All I did was post my views. I did not  bash it at all. Give it up will you. I do not think that a fold out couch is a great way to sleep after paying the high price. You do, that is fine. I am not going after you like you are of me. How rude. That is my opinion and you plus others should respect it as I do yours about the ship.  Same with the over the top on exercising. Again, my opinion and not bashing, as you so rudely say. I already left this and you keep going after me. Stick to remarks about the ship and not me. Please!

Its not a fold out couch. Its funny how old people are somehow okay with two beds squished next to each other but if you put them in an L configuration during the day then they're not worthy.

You also are very obviously coming back to this section to bash what you deem a "stupid exercise ship", I'm guessing because they probably won't have enough mashed potatoes for you either

Edited by hotsauce126
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am not the one who first referred to it as a fold our couch. Guess you cannot read very well either. Yet you like coming after me for some reason because you are what you are. It is a foldout. The TOP of the couch swings out 90 degrees to meet to the other part. They are NOT two beds squashed against one another. Guess you have a problem with your eyesight. How do you like it now?

43 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

Its not a fold out couch. Its funny how old people are somehow okay with two beds squished next to each other but if you put them in an L configuration during the day then they're not worthy.

You also are very obviously coming back to this section to bash what you deem a "stupid exercise ship", I'm guessing because they probably won't have enough mashed potatoes for you either

I decided to ignore this person as they are just here to bash.  I have my vv cruise booked and  I am looking forward to learning and hearing from others who are booked or very likely to.  She doesn't fit that criteria so she gone!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

I am not the one who first referred to it as a fold our couch. Guess you cannot read very well either. Yet you like coming after me for some reason because you are what you are. It is a foldout. The TOP of the couch swings out 90 degrees to meet to the other part. They are NOT two beds squashed against one another. Guess you have a problem with your eyesight. How do you like it now?

Its not a fold out.  It is a split bed.  The "top" has nothing to do with the main bed.  It is two twins pushed together to make the bed.  https://cruisefever.net/virgin-voyages-first-cruise-ship-will-have-beds-that-turn-into-loungers/. Very clear in the two photos. 

When the twins are split they are a sofa and lounger.  Not a fold out sofa.  

Edited by creativegenius

14 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Have you ever been on an RCI ship in the afternoon and try to get online? Even with a fairly expensive internet fee, the system gets oversubscribed to make it really worthwhile. What do you think will happen if it becomes free?

I personally have not had wifi issues on RCI.  Celebrity and Princess yes.  But RCI, NCL and Disney have all been solid.  Since Scarlet Lady is new she should have plenty of WiFi capabilities built in. Especially since its free. 

7 hours ago, creativegenius said:

Since Scarlet Lady is new she should have plenty of WiFi capabilities built in. 

Sat internet service is limited and we will have to wait and see if VV is paying extra for something like O3B. 

12 hours ago, creativegenius said:

Its not a fold out.  It is a split bed.  The "top" has nothing to do with the main bed.  It is two twins pushed together to make the bed.  https://cruisefever.net/virgin-voyages-first-cruise-ship-will-have-beds-that-turn-into-loungers/. Very clear in the two photos. 

When the twins are split they are a sofa and lounger.  Not a fold out sofa.  

They are NOT twin bed tops. A lot narrower than a twin. When did you ever see a mattress covered in couch material? If a couch was the size of a twin it would be totally uncomfortable. Sit back and your legs and feet go in the air. Whatever. It is what it is whatever it is, he knows how to save money and make money and that is all it is about.

2 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

They are NOT twin bed tops. A lot narrower than a twin. When did you ever see a mattress covered in couch material? If a couch was the size of a twin it would be totally uncomfortable. Sit back and your legs and feet go in the air. Whatever. It is what it is whatever it is, he knows how to save money and make money and that is all it is about.

I know someone that has seen the beds in person and has had the opportunity to lie on them. They are the size of twin size beds and are not foldout couches.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ownedbypets said:

I know someone that has seen the beds in person and has had the opportunity to lie on them. They are the size of twin size beds and are not foldout couches.

One is stationary the other folds out at 90 degrees to meet the other. Did you ever sit on a twin bed sideways and think of it as a couch. I bet not. Way to wide.

9 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

One is stationary the other folds out at 90 degrees to meet the other. Did you ever sit on a twin bed sideways and think of it as a couch. I bet not. Way to wide.

As a matter of fact, yes. When i was a kid my beds were in a "L" shape and used like couches.  I had many pillows along the back.  On VV the back stays attached to the wall if you want the couch effect and when rotated the mattresses slide under the attached part and it becomes a headboard.

• Like 1

Not arguing on that. All I figure for the price. I want a queen bed and a couch like most other cruise lines have. Yes they are two twins together. Those are full size twins. Together about 78 inches wide. Especially paying the price they are wanting for there short cruises. My opinion. Only mine. Everyone is different and I really hope it is worth it. We will see once some cruises have been completed and we get the reviews. Happy cruising.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

. Whatever. It is what it is whatever it is, he knows how to save money and make money and that is all it is about.

As opposed to every other cruise line?  They're all out to save and make money. 

Cruise lines have "premium dining' that costs more.  Cruise lines have soft drink and coffee packages to cost more.  Cruise lines have excursions that on average cost 100% more than if you book independently.  Cruise lines register in countries other than the US because it's a significant cost savings.  Cruise lines charge by the minute or by the day to use WiFi.  

It's ALL about saving and making money no matter the cruise line.  

No idea why you are so hung up over these beds.  They are twin beds.  The twin beds push together to form a standard cruise bed.  They are not simply a cost savings, they are a design feature that Virgin has opted for.  If you do not like them, then don't ever book a cabin on Virgin that has these beds.  

If you do not like the exercise centric nature of Virgin Voyages don't ever book a cruise on one of these ships.  

Honestly have no idea why you even came into this forum because your only motive seems to be to bash the Virgin experience before the ship has even been delivered.  We get it, Virgin Voyages is not for you.  It may not be for us either, but we won't know until we go on the ship and experience it for ourselves.  We're booked for the Mayan Sol in August 2020.  We can report first hand how the beds compare to some of the awful beds we've experienced on Princess and Celebrity in the past.  They can't be any worse than the worst 'normal beds' we've experienced.

Enough about the freakin' beds until someone has a chance to sleep in them next April.  I

• Like 5

If anyone has ANY doubt that all cruise lines are in it for the 'bottom line', I have a reading assignment for you (and yes, there WILL be a test! 😜 ) Kristoffer Garin's classic history of the modern cruise industry, Devils on the Deep Blue Sea, is fascinating reading. It shows just how THIN the margin is that some companies operate on -- or at least did, back in the 'early days'!

(and, I DO hope that Sir Richard has read it!)

On 7/7/2019 at 8:06 PM, wwcruisers said:

It shows just how THIN the margin is that some companies operate on -- or at least did, back in the 'early days'!

The margin has gotten better in recent years, but as with any discretionary spending, it can get tight real fast again.

I get the impression because of the price and the design and amenities that these cruises are going to be meant for,  dare I say "less mature" crowd.  Just seems like that's the vibe the video is giving me anyway.  Not to say I wouldn't be interested in taking the cruise being young at heart. lol

I am in my mid-50s and my wife is mid-40s. We like to have fun on our cruises and, speaking personally, the VV experience looks really cool to us. The combo of restaurants, exercise venues and just the décor seem to differ greatly from what other cruise lines offer, and that (to me) is fantastic. I heartily welcome a cruise line that does things differently. Maybe it's a subtlety, but I also like that cabins are priced "per cabin" rather than "per person." Honestly, their pricing seems pretty reasonable to me compared to other lines. I'm interested to know what drink prices will be like, since they apparently don't offer packages. Do like the included (non-pressed) juices, soda, water and coffee, though. I wish VV well and am considering booking a cruise with them. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I wish VV well and am considering booking a cruise with them. 

Oh I am definitely booking with them as soon as I see some new schedules.    Since I live at the beach here in Myrtle, I prefer to cruise during the winter months.    Looking to book a cruise, possibly B2B in Nov 2020 or Jan 2021.    I can't wait!

dave

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you Sunnyd for posting the video of the standard balcony room.  I personally think the stateroom is ugly.  I don't like the bed/couch combo thing either.  I'm still going to sail on her though.  I love that it is adult only.  I will wait and read reviews after people have sailed on her to hear other peoples opinion.   Thanks.