What type of documentation

ragethjj23

What type of documentation does my wife need to cruise?  We were married last June, she changed her name and has a new ID with that name.  Her passport is in her maiden name (was going to update it before our cruise this June but surprise, she's pregnant so we bumped it up to april) as is her birth certificate (obviously).  What does she need to bring to cruise?

27 minutes ago, ragethjj23 said:

What type of documentation does my wife need to cruise?  We were married last June, she changed her name and has a new ID with that name.  Her passport is in her maiden name (was going to update it before our cruise this June but surprise, she's pregnant so we bumped it up to april) as is her birth certificate (obviously).  What does she need to bring to cruise?

What name is she booked on the cruise under?

You can pay for expedited passport service which is 2 weeks, or regular passport renewal would be 6 weeks. Check US State Dept website for details. 

I only use use my passport so that is my frame of reference. 

Congrats on your good news!!!

Edited by CA_Cruzing

Just now, CA_Cruzing said:

You can pay for expedited passport service or regular passport renewal would be 6 weeks. Check US State Dept website for details. 

Thanks!  we've been trying and of course she gets pregnant right after I book a cruise to the ABC islands from our favorite port of san juan.  The whole government shutdown has me leery about that, especially because they take the old passport when you apply for the new one.

16 minutes ago, ragethjj23 said:

Thanks!  we've been trying and of course she gets pregnant right after I book a cruise to the ABC islands from our favorite port of san juan.  The whole government shutdown has me leery about that, especially because they take the old passport when you apply for the new one.

The State Dept doesn’t mess around. Check their website. They’ve always delivered ahead of schedule for us. Always. 

Big box store does headshots quick and easy too. Just sayin...

1 hour ago, Purvis1231 said:

At one time a newly married women could get a name change passport for free. See if this is still the case. Enjoy and congratulations! 

Its not, unless the passport is less than 1 year old at the time of the name change.  

To OP - A passport or birth certificate with previous name + Drivers License + Marriage certificate (bridging document) is what is needed.

9 hours ago, CA_Cruzing said:

You can pay for expedited passport service which is 2 weeks, or regular passport renewal would be 6 weeks. Check US State Dept website for details. 

Just to add to this, regular service has been taking just shy of 2 weeks for the past year or so (consistently). Not sure if paying for expedited service would even be worth it. 

2 hours ago, jdoc2007 said:

Its not, unless the passport is less than 1 year old at the time of the name change.  

To OP - A passport or birth certificate with previous name + Drivers License + Marriage certificate (bridging document) is what is needed.

Thank you!  The lady at carnival made it sound like we could change the passenger name to her maiden name and then just passport would be fine. Relayed that to the wife, and she wasn’t having any of it. I already know not to argue with a pregnant woman!

FYI - I sent my passport for regular renewal on 1/18 and I haven’t yet received it as of today. (It’ll be three weeks on Friday). I’ve been following the data points on passport processing times on FlyerTalk and they are somewhat variable. Some are coming back in 2 weeks, some are taking 4. Still great compared to their stated times of 4-6 weeks, but I wouldn’t count on 2 weeks as a certainty. 

Since your wife seems opposed to the idea, I suppose you'll have to find an alternative, but the easiest route would likely be to change her reservation name to her maiden name and have her use her passport as ID on the trip. I've done this on a Carnival cruise and a multitude of other air/land trips over the last 6 years and never had a problem. The party will be over soon though... my renewal date is this year! :classic_blush: