Dream...1/27/19...got the flu on board...HELP

Cruisemomof 2

My family and I, including my husband and 2 teenage boys, sailed on the Dream out of NOLA 1/27/19. On the fourth day my husband went to the medical center with what we thought was flu. He was misdiagnosed with a bronchial infection. The next day, my sons got sick.

Monday they both went and both are confirmed to have the flu.

Our second half of our cruise was spent in bed and me being a nurse.

What are the chances Carnival will pay my dr bills and reimburse me for the lost days?

please help...my vacation was ruined...many people and crew were in the medical center sick as well

Carnival is not responsible and will not reimburse you.  It was the unfortunate luck of the draw.  If you have travel insurance, you may be able to claim the doctors bill, however, Carnival does not owe you anything.

Sorry for the bad luck.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cruisemomof 2 said:

My family and I, including my husband and 2 teenage boys, sailed on the Dream out of NOLA 1/27/19. On the fourth day my husband went to the medical center with what we thought was flu. He was misdiagnosed with a bronchial infection. The next day, my sons got sick.

What are the chances Carnival will pay my dr bills and reimburse me for the lost days?

please help...my vacation was ruined...many people and crew were in the medical center sick as well

ZERO...carnival is not responsible for you getting the flu.    

Carnival will not pay your dr bills--if you had travel insurance, that would take care of those.     Lost days are just that...lost days.  

Lots of people get sick from all kinds of sources...Carnival is not responsible for that.

The flu and colds happen...they are viruses and unless you travel in a bubble, how in the world would you expect anyone could be responsible for that?

Chalk it up to experience and move on.   Plan your next trip.    We all get sick at many points in our lives--and many times at not the best times or places.

Here's to a better trip next time and I hope everyone feels better.

Edited by bingomamma19
  • Like 5

I'm so glad you had insurance!  Thank you for posting this.  I am 1/2 way through Cancer treatments and worried about cruising and getting sick.  This post is teaching me to be more proactive with Lysol and hand washing.  We cruise on the Dream March 3.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cruisemomof 2 said:

Carnival will not pay for a thing. Cruise insurance is the way way to go.

13 hours ago, Cruisemomof 2 said:

May be there is a way to prevent the flu?  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, duncmelsmom said:

I'm so glad you had insurance!  Thank you for posting this.  I am 1/2 way through Cancer treatments and worried about cruising and getting sick.  This post is teaching me to be more proactive with Lysol and hand washing.  We cruise on the Dream March 3.

Folks like you are why I get the flu vax every year.  When my mom was going thru treatment, it would have killed me to expose her to the flu.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Folks like you are why I get the flu vax every year.  When my mom was going thru treatment, it would have killed me to expose her to the flu.

Flu vaccine efficacy rates for 2017 and 2018 were around 40%, according to the CDC. You can still get the flu, especially late in the season when the existing strains have mutated. 

1 minute ago, StillPooh said:

Flu vaccine efficacy rates for 2017 and 2018 were around 40%, according to the CDC. You can still get the flu, especially late in the season when the existing strains have mutated. 

I use to get the vaccination each year.   Now I don’t can’t tell the difference.  I rarely get it but when I did it was at Disney.  This year both my adult daughters have had it. One has had both strands and she never gets sick and works ems. I have been exposed to both and didn’t get it.  I do childcare and some of my kids had it but not me. Idk it’s one of those luck of the draw things I think 

I get the flu shot each year, but got the flu last January.  Drs. said that it was a mild case of the flu since I was vaccinated.  I can't imagine a full blown case!  My immune system is down, but I'll be armed with lysol tons of Emergen C, and hand washing!  Yikes!!

I'm sorry the flu ruined your trip.  That doesn't sound fun at all.

Sorry to hear your family caught the flu and thanks for passing along the info.  We were also on the Dream and so far everyone in our party of 4 has no problems.  Since almost a week has passed, we should be good.  

Medical insurance is a must and will help cover any costs associated with illness.  Kudos to your purchasing it!  

For all cruisers, it is always good to check the CDC website about cruise ship outbreaks whenever you return home.  We learned this from our Carnival Sunshine cruise in 2016 when my husband caught the Norovirus with some 100+ passengers.  Was a nurse working for Carnival said since cruise lines are mandated to report when a certain number of illness occur, you should always check the CDC website when you return.  That way, if you come down with an illness days after disembarkation you can let your home physician know about the reports on the cruise ship.   Don't know how quickly these reports are updated on the CDC but there are some from January 18 - 28th on Viking.  Also this is reports of Gastro illness only, I think.

Search CDC - Vessel Sanitation Program - Outbreak updates.  

So far, I do not see anything listed for the Dream out of NOLA, so probably an extremely small amount of people had the flu.  Then again it is flu season and it is everywhere.

Hope your family is doing better.  

Edited by a1m1y9
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, quickrate said:

We never get a flu shot and never get the flu but, we take herbal supplements that boost the immune system and make sure we continue taking them while cruising. 

Pat

I work in Infectious Diseases at a pediatric hospital, I would be fired from my job if I didn't get the seasonal flu vaccine.  It is mandatory for all of our 15,000+ employees. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, StillPooh said:

It wouldn't mutate if unvaxxed people didn't mutate it.  Better to be one of the 40% (this year's vax is a much better match) than to be responsible for spreading the flu to someone who is immune compromised causing a fatality.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, repo-cruiser said:

I find it troubling no one mentioned the doctors misdiagnosis. A simple RIDTs test take 10-15 minutes. By telling him he had the bronchial infection (which is usually not contagious), ended up getting your son sick. I find this amazing.

How would a positive test for the flu changed the fact that the son got sick the next day?   He was exposed already.   

My husband and I both got really sick the week before our 12/8 Carnival Breeze cruise and we ended up cancelling on 12/6 when it was apparent we were not going to be well enough to cruise.  If anyone here was on that cruise - you're welcome.  😊  We stayed home and didn't spread it around.  Fortunately, we bought insurance so we received a refund.  We never used to buy it, but you can bet we will from now on.