Questions RE: How Celebrity differs from Royal

Chip and Dale

Hi

We are D+ on Royal so Elite on Celebrity. We are booked on Reflection in January 2020 (b2b) and a 12 night on Equinox in February 2021 (after a week with kids and grandkids on Oasis.) 

We have the Classic Beverage pkg on all 3 cruises. We use the lounge on Royal so never get a beverage pkg. I know that the “Happy Hour” is not available on embarkation day (dumb!) and the Captains event night (again dumb!). It is also only between 5 pm and 7 pm (not great for dining hours).  We enjoy meeting people in the Diamond Lounge. I know that Celebrity is rolling out unlimited drinks in any bar except two, on-board starting this month for Elites. 

I’m looking for information regarding the dress expected on Celebrity. We have done formal nights on Royal but don’t love them. DH usually wears khakis and a shirt or polo most nights, I typically wear capris and a dressy top, a dress or slacks and a dressy top. We honestly don’t care what others wear! Lots of shorts and T-shirts in the dining room and lounge but we couldn’t care less. We are NOT the fashion police!  I’m looking for your preferences and experience with dress on Celebrity. 

I have deadly seafood, mushroom and tarragon allergies. There was a time years ago when Royal handled this well with diligence and extreme care and concern. This has become more and more problematic on their ships and serious mistakes have been made with my food. With a deadly seafood allergy I’ve had poorly trained waiters and head waiters suggest seafood entrees for my dinner. We did a b2b on Adventure in January. The first week was fine in the dining room till the last formal night so we stopped eating in the dining room for my safety. The second week the waiter laughed at me having so many allergies. We reported it to guest services and the Food Services Manager did his best to resolve the issue but it meant moving us to my time dining in a lousy location and we felt uncomfortable so did not return to the MDR. There is much more to the situation but I won’t waste your time.  From almost the beginning of our time on Royal I have emailed Royal dining about my allergies and requested a table for two prior to sailing. I have always had the emails acknowledged with confirmation of a table for two and instructions. 

My question is for those with severe allergies. Do you find that Celebrity is good at honouring your needs and making sure you are safe? I know that they have a separate allergy kitchen and so does Royal BUT I have been served other people’s food by accident and also food that should have been prepared for me but obviously wasn’t since it had a grilled mushroom on it that looked like grilled onions.  Yup I trusted them and took a bite. Fortunately I knew what to do and survived (obviously 😉).  

We  are in a veranda cabin....7356 on Celebrity and 7354 on Equinox. They both show larger balconies. Did I choose well? We are unaccustomed to the cabins on Celebrity. Is there good storage? How do they compare to balcony cabins on Royal? 

Lastly, embarkation and disembarkation. We don’t typically arrive till between noon and one pm. Royal has been pretty good. We do get some priority when boarding. Disembarkation off of Adventure was a nightmare! It is handled poorly with the goal being “get out!!!”  Is Celebrity any better?  

I’m sure I will come up with more questions as I see responses. Thanks in advance for your patience! It is greatly appreciated. 

Dee

We sail both Celebrity and RC. We like both lines and like they are different in some ways. Variety.

There is no dedicated lounge for the CC HH. On both ships you're cruising on the CC HH will be held in the Sky Lounge, deck 14. Like RC you will receive a letter in your stateroom outlining all your Elite perks, events, time and places. 

Celebrity no longer does formal evening. It's now called evening chic. Celebrity's website has the definition of the different suggested dress guidelines. IMO, a lot of options for all. 

We always have plenty of storage in our staterooms. Just the two of us. 

Embarkation and disembarkation can very from port to port and ship to ship. We've never had a bad experience on either end. Like RC your stateroom will not be ready until 1:00PM. 

Have you contacted the Captains Club (1-800-760-0654) and provided them with your C&A numbers? Enjoy your first Celebrity cruise. 

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

We sail both Celebrity and RC. We like both lines and like they are different in some ways. Variety.

There is no dedicated lounge for the CC HH. On both ships you're cruising on the CC HH will be held in the Sky Lounge, deck 14. Like RC you will receive a letter in your stateroom outlining all your Elite perks, events, time and places. 

Celebrity no longer does formal evening. It's now called evening chic. Celebrity's website has the definition of the different suggested dress guidelines. IMO, a lot of options for all. 

We always have plenty of storage in our staterooms. Just the two of us. 

Embarkation and disembarkation can very from port to port and ship to ship. We've never had a bad experience on either end. Like RC your stateroom will not be ready until 1:00PM. 

Have you contacted the Captains Club (1-800-760-0654) and provided them with your C&A numbers? Enjoy your first Celebrity cruise. 

Thanks. I had a Captains Club number the day I called in the reservations. 

I’ve seen the website. I’m looking for personal experiences. What happens on Royal definitely is not what it states on the website. Things have changed dramatically on-board. 

Thanks again

Dee

1 hour ago, Chip and Dale said:

Thanks. I had a Captains Club number the day I called in the reservations. 

I’ve seen the website. I’m looking for personal experiences. What happens on Royal definitely is not what it states on the website. Things have changed dramatically on-board. 

Thanks again

Dee

It was only a suggestion as you didn't say you familiar with Celebrity's suggested dress guidelines for the evening in the MDR. IMO, lots of good options to decide from. We also don't care what others wear so I guess that's why I don't post what we elect to wear.  What you posted in your first post falls in line with what you read on Celebrity's website.  :classic_wink:

Edited by davekathy

The clothing options you described for yourself and DH will work well within Celebrity's guidelines.  Be aware that they do enforce no shorts for dinner, no caps, and men's tops must have sleeves (sometimes no t-shirts as well).  otherwise slacks or dressy jeans are fine.

Steve

2 hours ago, stevea36 said:

The clothing options you described for yourself and DH will work well within Celebrity's guidelines.  Be aware that they do enforce no shorts for dinner, no caps, and men's tops must have sleeves (sometimes no t-shirts as well).  otherwise slacks or dressy jeans are fine.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Very helpful. We would go to the buffet if we didn’t have time to change and were wearing shorts at night. 

Are hats ok at breakfast or lunch? Also, does Celebrity charge for room service?

Thanks in advance 

Dee

2 hours ago, Chip and Dale said:

Thanks Steve. Very helpful. We would go to the buffet if we didn’t have time to change and were wearing shorts at night. 

Are hats ok at breakfast or lunch? Also, does Celebrity charge for room service?

Thanks in advance 

Dee

Hats are not allowed (at least for men) in the  MDR at anytime. There is a charge for room service of $4.95 between 11:00 PM and 6:00 AM. 

19 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Hats are not allowed (at least for men) in the  MDR at anytime. There is a charge for room service of $4.95 between 11:00 PM and 6:00 AM. 

So no charge for room service during the day or evening?  Royal used to be no charge during the day but now it’s $7.95 all of the time. The only exception is the continental room service breakfast. 

2 hours ago, Chip and Dale said:

Thanks in advance 

Dee

I see that davekathy replied...  If you do go to the buffet, be sure to check out the ice cream.  The hard ice cream is all made onboard, from scratch !!!

2 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

The reason there is no Elite HH on the evening of the Captain's event is that the Captain's event is a cocktail party! No reason to duplicate.

I understand. We rarely go to those events or the top tier events on Royal. 

1 minute ago, Chip and Dale said:

So no charge for room service during the day or evening?  Royal used to be no charge during the day but now it’s $7.95 all of the time. The only exception is the continental room service breakfast. 

The reason RCI started charging at all times is that people would order the food and either not be in the stateroom when it arrived or just barely eat it and throw most of it out.  waste...

same sort of reasoning behind everyone in the cabin needing to get the drinks package.   abuse of the system..(in that case people were sharing the package)..

Just now, stevea36 said:

I see that davekathy replied...  If you do go to the buffet, be sure to check out the ice cream.  The hard ice cream is all made onboard, from scratch !!!

SERIOUSLY???? 😍. That’s a perfect reason to cruise! Dennis will be overjoyed!

Thank you!

Dee

Just now, stevea36 said:

The reason RCI started charging at all times is that people would order the food and either not be in the stateroom when it arrived or just barely eat it and throw most of it out.  waste...

same sort of reasoning behind everyone in the cabin needing to get the drinks package.   abuse of the system..(in that case people were sharing the package)..

I know. It’s sad. It punishes people like us who don’t abuse the system. 

1 minute ago, Chip and Dale said:

Thank you!

Dee

not to be confused with the gelato on deck 5 near cafe al bacio (which btw, has the best coffee drinks at sea and takes the drink pkg to pay for it).  Desserts there are free for everyone !!

Just now, Chip and Dale said:

I know. It’s sad. It punishes people like us who don’t abuse the system. 

RCI had gone back to only one person needs to buy but too many people didn't understand and just went back to the old "sharing" habits...  so they had no choice...

I am amazed at how people can post here and on that other unmentioned site of how they can or will beat the system..  I guess they don't know that RCI and all other cruise lines have people patrolling these sites...

1 minute ago, stevea36 said:

RCI had gone back to only one person needs to buy but too many people didn't understand and just went back to the old "sharing" habits...  so they had no choice...

I am amazed at how people can post here and on that other unmentioned site of how they can or will beat the system..  I guess they don't know that RCI and all other cruise lines have people patrolling these sites...

I know. It boggles the mind doesn’t it!

5 minutes ago, stevea36 said:

not to be confused with the gelato on deck 5 near cafe al bacio (which btw, has the best coffee drinks at sea and takes the drink pkg to pay for it).  Desserts there are free for everyone !!

My hope is I can get the coffee and a shot of Khalua and tia Maria and make my favourite boozy coffee. Maybe they’ll put whipcream on top for me 😁. We have the classic beverage pkg. Den is so happy 😀 because from what we’ve read it includes pina coladas. Fingers crossed!

it will be fun comparing the ice cream to the gelato. 

Keep coming back with the info. I’m loving this!

Dee

11 minutes ago, Chip and Dale said:

Thank you!

Dee

At least now you know where to find him  (unless he is at the martini bar (a great place to hang out), the sunset bar (another one), or getting a slice of pizza that is made from scratch and decent (this coming from someone who grew up with NY pizza).

BTW, I dont recall if anyone addressed you allergy issues...   Contact special needs at celebrity (I believe their email address is special_needs@celebritycruises.com.   Make them aware.   Send a second email about 6 weeks prior to them and celebrity_dining@celebritycruises.com.  and, once you are onboard, go to see the maitr'd to make sure they got the message.  They are pretty good with allergies...  (just dont let the waiter in the MDR know that dennis likes ice cream or he will have it with everything !!!

Steve

2 minutes ago, Chip and Dale said:

My hope is I can get the coffee and a shot of Khalua and tia Maria and make my favourite boozy coffee. Maybe they’ll put whipcream on top for me 😁. We have the classic beverage pkg. Den is so happy 😀 because from what we’ve read it includes pina coladas. Fingers crossed!

it will be fun comparing the ice cream to the gelato.   (dont even bother...  ice cream is included, gelato is not except for the coupon you will get for a free scoop)   and ice cream is great !!

Keep coming back with the info. I’m loving this!

Dee

oh no... I made the mistake of mentioning to a waiter on a cruise (I think it was Explorer of the seas) that my DW liked whipped cream.   well, every day at dinner she got her dessert and a big bowl of homemade whipped cream.   I am no longer allowed to mention that fact to the wait staff (so I have others that I am cruising with do it for me 🙂 )

the classic package should be good as long as you are not stuck on the big name liquors.   If you are satisfied with well brands or first level brands (absolut, smirnoff are first level), classic covers them 100%.   If you go for something above(grey goose) you only pay the difference plus 18%....  (I mentioned vodkas as that is what I drink)

ok, one last tidbit of info before i sign off for the evening...

You will find that the staff on X (celebrity) is very diligent about not letting "children" into late night adult only entertainment !!!  not like RCI where they announce that shows are adults only and parents take their kids anyhow and then complain to RCI about the content not being suitable for their kids 🙂

have a good night...    

I'll be on again in the morning (I'm a part time TA so I am online most of the day)....

Steve

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stevea36 said:

At least now you know where to find him  (unless he is at the martini bar (a great place to hang out), the sunset bar (another one), or getting a slice of pizza that is made from scratch and decent (this coming from someone who grew up with NY pizza).

BTW, I dont recall if anyone addressed you allergy issues...   Contact special needs at celebrity (I believe their email address is special_needs@celebritycruises.com.   Make them aware.   Send a second email about 6 weeks prior to them and celebrity_dining@celebritycruises.com.  and, once you are onboard, go to see the maitr'd to make sure they got the message.  They are pretty good with allergies...  (just dont let the waiter in the MDR know that dennis likes ice cream or he will have it with everything !!!

Steve

You are wonderful! Exactly what I was looking for!!!

I have always done the emails on Royal. I gave up on the maître d (they were usually too busy rearranging tables) years ago and dealt with the head waiter. 

Pizza ooooooooh pizza 😍

10 minutes ago, stevea36 said:

oh no... I made the mistake of mentioning to a waiter on a cruise (I think it was Explorer of the seas) that my DW liked whipped cream.   well, every day at dinner she got her dessert and a big bowl of homemade whipped cream.   I am no longer allowed to mention that fact to the wait staff (so I have others that I am cruising with do it for me 🙂 )

the classic package should be good as long as you are not stuck on the big name liquors.   If you are satisfied with well brands or first level brands (absolut, smirnoff are first level), classic covers them 100%.   If you go for something above(grey goose) you only pay the difference plus 18%....  (I mentioned vodkas as that is what I drink)

I like Sauvignon Blanc so fingers crossed or sparkling. Dennis loves Malbecs and rum punch or pina coladas. We both like good black dark roast coffee. 

I’ll try my gelato coupon sample and get my fill of ice cream 😁

Chip and Dale

Since your allergy is the Anaphylactic type you should advise Special Services to have it put on your file.  The first night you may have to advise your waiter but every night after that the Maître ‘D will arrive at your table so you can decide what you want for the next nights dinner.  I know first hand what a pain in the neck that is as I am allergic to shellfish get very ill but not to the point of Anaphylactic that was Kiwi for me.   I have been on enough cruises with Celebrity to basically know that you have to check out what is in the sauce as obviously you would not choose shellfish, mushrooms or tarragon, but they could be lurking in sauces or salad dressing.

i have to say they have always been very careful but of course I was always vigilant as well.  I know it’s very scary to let someone else make you meals.  I found them to go out of their way to help.  If you have any problem the person to talk to is the Food & Beverage Manager.

10 minutes ago, stevea36 said:

ok, one last tidbit of info before i sign off for the evening...

You will find that the staff on X (celebrity) is very diligent about not letting "children" into late night adult only entertainment !!!  not like RCI where they announce that shows are adults only and parents take their kids anyhow and then complain to RCI about the content not being suitable for their kids 🙂

have a good night...    

I'll be on again in the morning (I'm a part time TA so I am online most of the day)....

Steve

You have been so very helpful. Thank you!

I’m on the computer or tablet most days. I’m an insurance broker. And sadly really busy right now. 

Dee