Can you take a bottle of Rum/Liquor on board on the very first day?

HarryKane

Hi guys,

Ive only ever been on two cruises in the past and have never taken any booze on board but the next time we go I would really like to take a bottle of rum on board to keep in the room for drinks on the balcony in the evening which i'll purchase from duty free back in the UK before I board the plane to Houston IAH.

My question though  -  is this allowed?

4 minutes ago, bakersdozen12 said:

No, it is not allowed.  Only wine; one bottle per person. 

For reference, Carnival’s liquor and beverage policy can be found here:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2633/~/liquor-and-beverage-policy

Thanks bakersdozen12, that sucks then - nevermind. 

Do carnival have airport style detectors that pick up liquids then when you check in? I don't remember from memory. 

My sister took a cruise on royal Caribbean earlier this year and she managed to take on board a 1l bottle of vodka - not sure how she managed it, I do recall her saying she used a different bottle or something so that it would go un-detected.

Im not sure I would risk that though just for the sake of some booze for the room!

28 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Instead of jumping through all of those hoops just buy a bottle from the Fun Shops on the website.

Good call! I'm guessing it wont be as cheap as from the duty free airport shop though? :classic_unsure: :classic_laugh:

5 minutes ago, HarryKane said:

Good call! I'm guessing it wont be as cheap as from the duty free airport shop though? :classic_unsure: :classic_laugh:

Your guess is correct but it is a legitimate option to having a bottle for the balcony. Other options involve violating the contract terms and if caught result in the loss of the liquor (they no longer return it if it happens to be in an original bottle).

HarryKane, no it definitely isn't cheap, but I've found it pretty much equals out versus buying per drink. The cost was bad enough, but now they charge a fee plus gratuity. I usually buy a bottle (1liter) of Crown Royal which is $95 plus tax and the fees, etc.  it's nice to have it waiting in your room on arrival usually. Seems like I've read in Texas you can't have it on the first day, but others who cruise from there can help with that. Also from what others have said, I believe you can order a bottle from room service.

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

Your guess is correct but it is a legitimate option to having a bottle for the balcony. Other options involve violating the contract terms and if caught result in the loss of the liquor (they no longer return it if it happens to be in an original bottle).

Oh ok so lets just hypothetically say that I took on-board a bottle of liquor and carnival confiscated it upon embarkation

- the only thing that would happen would be I lost my bottle of liquor? We wouldn't get thrown off the ship or made to walk the plank?

I guess for the gamble of a $30 duty free bottle that would be worth the risk of it being taken away?

It would definitely be taken away, and other than the embarrassment of being called out and having it confiscated, you would not be kicked off nor walk the plank.  I can promise you if you do carry or pack a bottle of liquor, you will be caught. There are numerous ways to smuggle, but I'm not going to go there.  I'm also wondering about the new 3D X-ray machines that will be installed in all the ports by the end of February.  

18 minutes ago, HarryKane said:

Oh ok so lets just hypothetically say that I took on-board a bottle of liquor and carnival confiscated it upon embarkation

- the only thing that would happen would be I lost my bottle of liquor? We wouldn't get thrown off the ship or made to walk the plank?

I guess for the gamble of a $30 duty free bottle that would be worth the risk of it being taken away?

You probably wouldn't be thrown off the ship but they do have that right under the terms of the contract.

Their machines are very good. I've packed four of five minis in my luggage and they were caught as well. You can try emptying out a water bottle, fill it with rum, and put in your carry on. Not that I have done it in the past, but so I have been told.

57 minutes ago, HarryKane said:

Here's another reason not to do what is commonly called " smuggling " : your scanned luggage will not be delivered to your room. Hours after the ship has sailed you will receive a written notice to your cabin advising that you need to meet with ship's security at a designated time and place. Rather than enjoying your view balcony you'll be down in the bowels of the ship queuing up with many other disgruntled, unhappy people only to find out your belongings were rummaged through and you aren't getting your rum back. Bon Voyage!

2015-07-09-7d-queue_c-14297.jpg

Edited by sanmarcosman

42 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Here's another reason not to do what is commonly called " smuggling " : your scanned luggage will not be delivered to your room. Hours after the ship has sailed you will receive a written notice to your cabin advising that you need to meet with ship's security at a designated time and place. Rather than enjoying your view balcony you'll be down in the bowels of the ship queuing up with many other disgruntled, unhappy people only to find out your belongings were rummaged through and you aren't getting your rum back. Bon Voyage!

That sounds horrific! 

What do they do to you down there after you have queued up for ages??  Is it sort of a verbal warning and then you have to carry your luggage to your room minus the confiscated liquor?

2 minutes ago, HarryKane said:

That sounds horrific! 

What do they do to you down there after you have queued up for ages??  Is it sort of a verbal warning and then you have to carry your luggage to your room minus the confiscated liquor?

Rather.

54 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Is this something new?  I accidently left my travel size iron in the pocket of my luggage.  I received my luggage with a note that it had been removed and I could pick it up at the end of the cruise.

3 minutes ago, Tammyj0927 said:

Is this something new?  I accidently left my travel size iron in the pocket of my luggage.  I received my luggage with a note that it had been removed and I could pick it up at the end of the cruise.

Not new for alcohol confiscations.

7 minutes ago, Tammyj0927 said:

For other items such as your clothes iron and its potential to be a fire hazard the article is removed and notice sent with the luggage advising how to retrieve it as happened in your case.

Edited by sanmarcosman

17 minutes ago, mediccruzin said:

No, I have not found a high quality rum from the Fun shop. Bacardi is not a high quality rum. 

Hmmm...just curious?   What do you consider a "high" quality rum??   Rum is Rum! :classic_smile:  Especially in mixed drinks on a ship!:classic_smile:

Cruzan from the St Croix,  is not a high quality or expensive rum, but it is much better than Bacardi!     In the 80's, I could get it in St.Thomas for around $2.00 a bottle....?  Today it is $16 or more?    It is my rum of choice, for most drinks.   I know there are several high $$ rums available, but unless drinking it by the shot,  it really doesn't matter much to us.

Edited by jwjax
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HarryKane said:

Carnival could refuse to allow you on the ship, even though the odds of that are extremely low. However, I would not risk losing a cruise over trying to sneak alcohol onto the ship. 

5 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Carnival could refuse to allow you on the ship, even though the odds of that are extremely low. However, I would not risk losing a cruise over trying to sneak alcohol onto the ship. 

That would never happen. They want you spending money on board, they'll just take the booze and you'll be on your way.

If they kicked you off for trying to take a bottle on board, they lose out and gain nothing by that.

21 minutes ago, jwjax said:

Hmmm...just curious?   What do you consider a "high" quality rum??   Rum is Rum! :classic_smile:  Especially in mixed drinks on a ship!:classic_smile:

Cruzan from the St Croix,  is not a high quality or expensive rum, but it is much better than Bacardi!     In the 80's, I could get it in St.Thomas for around $2.00 a bottle....?  Today it is $16 or more?    It is my rum of choice, for most drinks.   I know there are several high $$ rums available, but unless drinking it by the shot,  it really doesn't matter much to us.

Cruzan 2 year old dark rum is my sipping rum. But I have not found that in the fun shops, unless they have changed recently.