Straws on Board

newbiecruiser25

3 hours ago, Junes said:

I just found compostable straws on Amazon that work and feel more like plastic. I'm not a fan of paper straws, so I will be bringing a box of these!

Just so you're aware, 'plastic like' compostable straws can only truly be composted in a commercial facility. Tossing them in the bin is just like tossing a regular plastic straw. They will not break down in a landfill or in a home compost due to the heat necessary. So unless you plan to keep your used straws and bring them to such a facility, you're wasting your money and not making any difference when it comes to waste production.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yankees111 said:

NCL doesn’t give out plastic straws anymore but no worries you can bring your own from home 

Our last two cruises I've seen lots of people with their own straws.  One lady pulled a giant bag out of her carry-on and was handing some out to others.

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Getaway. I wasn't aware NCL had stopped providing straws. When I ordered a Miami Vice I asked for a straw but was told there were none available....I was not offered paper but didn't specifically ask so I am unsure if paper straws are available. I didn't have any problems without straws and will take a metal straw on my next cruise. Upon reflection, I do find it interesting that the cruise line had no issues with selling packages of plastic water bottles at a steep profit. 

12 minutes ago, Kelly1195 said:

Upon reflection, I do find it interesting that the cruise line had no issues with selling packages of plastic water bottles at a steep profit. 

Plastic water bottles are recycled, whereas plastic straws end up in landfills, because of their size they pretty much make recycling impossible.

55 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Plastic water bottles are recycled, whereas plastic straws end up in landfills, because of their size they pretty much make recycling impossible

You are absolutely correct...I did some research when I got home and fully agree with doing away with the straws. I am going to do the same at home now. A small contribution but one nonetheless. Bottles can be recycled.....if they make it into the proper place of disposal. Reviewing research will demonstrate just how much eligible plastic goes to landfills not to be recycled. Again, research about straws led to info about plastic bottles and have changed my ways. 

On 2/8/2019 at 11:11 PM, newbiecruiser25 said:

Does Norwegian Gem offer biodegradable straws for drinks or do we have to bring our own?

Was on the Gem in Nov and when I asked for straws with frozen drinks was told there were no straws on board.

I've recently seen people posting about paper straws, but still planning on bringing our own.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought 50 Flamingo straws on e-bay for under $5.00 and that is free shipping.  I plan on handing them out on my next cruise if people tell me how cute my straw is and where did I get it 😍