Dawn Aft Facing Penthouse with Large Balcony

Rebels82

Looking at the ship diagram on Page 217 in the 2017-2019 Worldwide Cruising Guide, I see a dark green color around the Dawn Aft Facing Penthouses on Deck 8. Those on decks 9 and 10 do not have the dark green color around the aft deck. Does anyone know what that is or if Deck 8 is different from Decks 9 and 10? Which Dawn Aft Facing Penthouses are suggested? Should any be avoided? Thanks!

Deck 10 aft balconies are by far the largest of the aft balconies. Have stayed in 10730 (B1) a couple times and friends have stayed in 10726 (SF) ..... I will always book 10

Deck 8 is directly above Bliss and definitely impacted by the noise in Bliss

The green wraparound is maintenance access and is also on 9 and 10 just not colored on the deck plan. You can see it by searching "NCL Dawn aft pictures" 

Edited by esm54687

Comparing the deck plan to some photos of the actual ship shows that all of the balconies are the same width - there are no wraparounds - even though the balcony does go around to the side - there is a divider  to prevent you from getting there.

Deck 10 on these ships do have deeper balconies than decks 8 and 9. Deck 11 is the Spa area so mostly quiet while deck 7 has the bliss lounge.

I do prefer deck 10 if I can get it - was able to snag my favorite corner on deck 10 for my next cruise.

We were in Penthouse cabin 10000 on the front of the ship I believe on the Dawn or possibly the Gem.  It was directly under the bridge and we got calls every day from the bridge to close our drapes with no explanation. We were very taken back at first and after the 3rd time we asked why and they said that the reflection of the TV on the glass window was causing a distraction in the bridge.  Also there was a fierce suction when opening the balcony door.  It was a pull door no a sliding door.  The cabin itself was very nice 

Edited by umpire56

I've not sailed Dawn aft on 8 or 9, but only Dawn Aft suites on deck 10.  There is a maintenance door that prevents the balcony from 'wrapping around' the side on deck 10.  One cruise we were lucky enough for that door to be left open, and we used that space to see down the side as we were leaving Boston and while we were pulling into Bermuda.  We were also able to see a pod of dolphins swimming along side the ship while at sea.   I agree with other posters, if you have the option to select deck 10 then grab it!  The balconies are much deeper, allowing the loungers to be positioned at many angles.  Friends stayed on deck 9, but could only position the loungers facing the sides of the ship.  IMO, the balcony on 10 is larger than 8 or 9, even if the maintenance door was opened. 

9 hours ago, umpire56 said:

We were in Penthouse cabin 10000 on the front of the ship I believe on the Dawn or possibly the Gem.  It was directly under the bridge and we got calls every day from the bridge to close our drapes with no explanation. We were very taken back at first and after the 3rd time we asked why and they said that the reflection of the TV on the glass window was causing a distraction in the bridge.  Also there was a fierce suction when opening the balcony door.  It was a pull door no a sliding door.  The cabin itself was very nice 

Great information but has nothing to do with the "aft" location being talked about.