Bad news for Scotch drinkers

thirstyman1

5 hours ago, casofilia said:

@fstuff1

once you add pepsi, johnny walker blue tastes the same as jwRed

If you drink scotch especially a single malt the only thing to add is a little rainwater if you can't get real burn water.

Looks like Glenmorangie is back on the included list - for the moment. I hope that this state of affairs still holds good in a years time on our Cape Town to Singapore jolly:classic_biggrin:.

• Like 1

LOL-----thought at this rate J&B would be the premium Scotch !! I didn't pay attention on the Bliss in Sept for my Jack and cokes...but will on the Dawn in April! As long as its not Jacquins or Bankers Club I think Ill be A-OK!!!

13 hours ago, casofilia said:

@fstuff1

If you drink scotch especially a single malt the only thing to add is a little rainwater if you can't get real burn water.

Not familiar w/ the phrase burn water...  Branch water yes...  Burn Water no...  Can you help w/ a description?

@Von & John

A "burn" is a small fresh water stream. 

As Mr Google would have it "A burn is a watercourse (in size from a large stream to a small river)."

In Scotland it is considered the purest form of water.  It is used in the "manufacture" of whisky.

A Scotch whisky drinker, especially a single malt drinker, would only add a small quantity of purest "burn" water to a "wee dram".

• Like 1

I might have a tremendous issue with going on this cruise....I am a wine and spirits distributor, and tend to be sort of snobbish when it comes to my drinks...We cruised on Royal last year, and on the drink package, we were able to drink Whistle Pig Bourbon, Four Roses Single Barrel, Buffalo Trace, Bulleit Bourbon and there was some Blanton's on board.  Wife and I drank at least a case of the Four Roses SB, which is one of my favorites!  From what i see here, they only have Bulleit Rye, not the Bourbon????  I can deal with the wines by the glass, since I only drink wine at dinner while cruising.  Not saying that I am regretting my decision to cruise NCL, but I would think they would be able to serve better quality liquors for the price of admission...  

5 hours ago, casofilia said:

@Von & John

As Mr Google would have it "A burn is a watercourse (in size from a large stream to a small river)."

In Scotland it is considered the purest form of water.  It is used in the "manufacture" of whisky.

A Scotch whisky drinker, especially a single malt drinker, would only add a small quantity of purest "burn" water to a "wee dram".

Thanks for info about the burn !

Maybe like an extremely extra dry martini with one eye drop of vermouth for effect.

But we are talking scotch here -

So a splash of burn or a single ice cube about the size of a sugar cube -

JW Blue was never on any tier of any NCL ship I have been on - found in the Duty Free Shop though

The JW Black was top tier and the Red lower shelf

Wonder what the swill in the well is ? Gordons - some derivative of shellac paint thinner ?

Further research interesting LINK:

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/brands/scotchwhisky

21 hours ago, casofilia said:

@fstuff1

Amen to that.  I prefer my single malt with an ice cube or two and then slowly let it melt, so it provides just the right amount of water, or if it is a good single malt, then neat is another way to enjoy.  Blends such as JW & Chivas can be mixed with whatever somebody chooses, but anyone who would do that with a good single malt, I hate to be violent, but they should be horse whipped.  LOL

• Like 1

I was recently on the Escape and was rather disappointed at the pricing , the last time I was on ncl was 4 years ago long before they gave the ubp as a perk and I purchased the drinks package and was very impressed as there was almost nothing that was not included, we were drinking top shelf scotch, bourbon,gin and vodkas all week and never payed more for anything. This last time , a couple of weeks ago was very poor , the best scotch available was dewars , which is ok  but not glenmorrangie ok !  on all the menus they also had monkey shoulder which is a blend of single malts , I  like it , but it is does split opinion , but alas despite being on every menu they sailed without a single bottle on board ! I mostly drunk buillet or JD rye .

Is Woodford no longer included either?

As far as Johnny Black...what a shame. That's my favorite scotch. Just another reason to steer clear of NCL.

A fifth of Johnny Black retails at around $30. Realistically, NCL probably pays $20 for it. Each fifth has 16 shots (1.5 ounces). So the cost to NCL is $1.25. So if you buy it at $15.99 plus 20% on the $0.99 then NCL pockets $1.19...basically covering the cost of their liquor...even tho you have the UBP. What a scam!!!

Dewar's, like JW Red is basically a mixing scotch, unlike Black, which can be straight or on the rocks. I believe NCL is the only line charging that much for black. I had classic pkg on MSC, and had no problem getting black. All it took was a $1.00 tip to the server.

3 hours ago, casofilia said:

@don't-use-real-name  and @travelnap

single ice cube about the size of a sugar cube

Not in a single malt!!!!

It depends on how good the single malt is.  Some you don't want to spoil with ice, others need a wee bit of help to take the edge off.  At least IKEA left Scotland on their world map, but on the bright side they have acknowledged that the Kiwis do exist and apologized for their mistake Mike.  Neil

37 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Is Woodford no longer included either?

As far as Johnny Black...what a shame. That's my favorite scotch. Just another reason to steer clear of NCL.

A fifth of Johnny Black retails at around $30. Realistically, NCL probably pays $20 for it. Each fifth has 16 shots (1.5 ounces). So the cost to NCL is $1.25. So if you buy it at $15.99 plus 20% on the $0.99 then NCL pockets $1.19...basically covering the cost of their liquor...even tho you have the UBP. What a scam!!!

According to the new menu circulating today, Black is back...

B819E676-6C25-445C-B355-19358FBEED3C.jpeg

6 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Looks as if Glenmorangie is back down too.

Yes - thankfully.

I don't quite get their pricing though - Glenmorangie 10yo and Glenlivet 12yo are basically the same price in UK, so why the difference on NCL? Glenfiddich Select is usually a couple of pounds cheaper as well (not that I drink it).

Never mind - hopefully on Spirit next year I can still enjoy my Glenmorangie, cigar and good company:classic_biggrin:.

13 hours ago, casofilia said:

@Von & John

Thanks  --  I will add this to my new items learned today!!! 

I usually strive for a new thing a day...  Today's list is ever-expanding 🙂

Edited by Von & John

11 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

Yes - thankfully.

I don't quite get their pricing though - Glenmorangie 10yo and Glenlivet 12yo are basically the same price in UK, so why the difference on NCL? Glenfiddich Select is usually a couple of pounds cheaper as well (not that I drink it).

Never mind - hopefully on Spirit next year I can still enjoy my Glenmorangie, cigar and good company:classic_biggrin:.

They are about the same here in the U S at our local liquor store, but some of the bourbons that they are showing can be purchased for quite a bit less and they have the same price as the Glenlivet 12 yo with NCL.  The JW BL can be purchased from $10 to $15 less than the Glenmorangie.