Rooms not ready for Priority on Glory

jmcathome

Just received a letter from Carnival that because of the large number of Plat and Diamond quest that our rooms would not be available upon boarding on Sat Feb 16. Rooms would not be available until 1:30. If you have had this letter before does this mean you will not be able to get on the ship until 1:30 or you will just have to carry your carryon until 130. On Sunshine earlier there were a large number of Plat and Diamond but that did not cause this delay. It did mean that there were two parties at the end of the cruise.

13 minutes ago, jmcathome said:

Just received a letter from Carnival that because of the large number of Plat and Diamond quest that our rooms would not be available upon boarding on Sat Feb 16. Rooms would not be available until 1:30. If you have had this letter before does this mean you will not be able to get on the ship until 1:30 or you will just have to carry your carryon until 130. On Sunshine earlier there were a large number of Plat and Diamond but that did not cause this delay. It did mean that there were two parties at the end of the cruise.

We had it happen on our journey cruise, can you post the letter?

We've had this happen before. Our message stated we could still board early, go to the cabin and leave our carry-ons while the rooms were being set up. When we got to the room our room key was not in the mailbox, but the steward took the time to open the door and put our carry-ons (and backpacks) in the cabin.

I keep seeing people that they have their keys put in their mailbox. I have never had this happen. Is it done only on certain ships. I have been on the Sunshine and Miracle in past few months and received my key at the checkin. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jmcathome said:

I keep seeing people that they have their keys put in their mailbox. I have never had this happen. Is it done only on certain ships. I have been on the Sunshine and Miracle in past few months and received my key at the checkin. 

I have been on a dozen Carnival cruises over the last 18 months or so. The S&S cards were located by the cabin door for all of these cruises, including my last cruise on Miracle over Christmas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmcathome said:

I posted a comment recently in another thread about Carnival being at a point that there are too many Platinums.  In my opinion they need to either raise the number of days it takes to reach Platinum or reduce some of the perks associated with Platinum status. When it gets to the point where perks can’t be provided due to the number of passengers with priority status, it is time to make changes.  I am currently a Platinum so my suggestions would directly impact me, but I still think this issue needs to be addressed.  The bottom line is there are too many Platinums and the numbers are growing every day. 

1 hour ago, jmcathome said:

We sailed on Sunshine in Dec (2018) - the S&S cards were in our mailboxes.  When did you sail on Sunshine?

We got this letter prior to our Conquest cruise in October.  We had more than 800 Platinum and almost 100 Diamonds.  We were able to drop off our stuff in the room when we boarded and were wondering the ship carryon free by 11:15.  You only have to look around the ship and see the number of 8-10 yo Platinum's to know it is untenable.

3 hours ago, jmcathome said:

I was just on Sunshine in June of 2018 and the keys were in the mailbox next to the cabin door.  In fact, they have been like that on the past two cruises 2017 Splendor and 2018 Sunshine.  This change was implemented quite a few years ago as is fleet wide now.

Edited by Cruiseman38

Agreed, it does.  On our Journey cruise, John Heald had an open Q and A session and told us his (personal) views on the topic, which were that they had to do something as the numbers were untenable.  While certainly not a typical sailing (it was the Breeze) there was 240 Diamonds and over 800 Platinums.

Another part of this issue, even if it is a small amount, when a platinum or diamond guest insists their entire family board with privileges, even when in other staterooms. This does aid to the problem of entitlement. I do agree with PhillyFan33579. There needs to be a overhaul of this program and they need to be firm and friendly with respect to the boarding process.

7 minutes ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

Another part of this issue, even if it is a small amount, when a platinum or diamond guest insists their entire family board with privileges, even when in other staterooms. This does aid to the problem of entitlement. I do agree with PhillyFan33579. There needs to be a overhaul of this program and they need to be firm and friendly with respect to the boarding process.

There have been many threads dedicated to the early cabin access, with many thoughts and rumors (including FTTF).  The “program” is more then early boarding (I do not see them doing away with FTTF, it is a cash cow), but they could easily add another level and tie all benefits (and possibly new ones to the Diamond + (or what ever they call it) and taper down from there.  Add in trying to make loyalty across all lines and it is enough to give anyone a headache.

Edited by jimbo5544

Some itineraries it seems to be a constant problem.. go on any cruise out of Galveston headed for Bahamas and over half the ship will be Platinum and Diamond.  Its crazy.  We did this last Feb, and honestly, we were in Group 1 to board, but there were so many getting on in that first group, that by the time they called FTTF and Group 1-3, there was less than half the ship left in the lobby holding area!  It literally took over an hour to board just Platinum and Diamond alone.  

It was a great cruise, don't get me wrong, but embark and debark days where horrendous.