New Civitavecchia-Rome Express Train April 1 2019

euro cruiser

i might be taking Celebrity cruise from England to Civitavecchia, then flying back to NYC on May 25.

Flight should be on Norwegian Air departing from Rome (FCO) at 6pm.

this new Express train is good news!

• Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 8:53 AM, pgrovesnz said:

Looks like just Sunday has the 8:30am train. Other days are 9:30am.

I understand that timetable to indicate that they are trying to get day trippers off the regular commuter transport to relieve the stress on those going in to work.  

By 9.30 most of the commuters are well on their way.  The station will be less crowded.  On a Sunday the train station will be less busy and so an 8.30 train is not going to disrupt the travel of the poor commuter.  

There are always going to be people who want to get into Rome earlier - but the next time I go I will be booking this train.  If it is reliable it will be great.  

• Like 1

Information on the arrival and departure points is in my original post at the beginning of this thread.

To purchase tickets in advance go to https://www.trenitalia.com/.

Enter "Civitavecchia" in the from (da) space.

Enter either "Roma S. Pietro" or "Roma Ostiense" in the to (a) space.

Enter your date in the departure (andata) space.  Remember that dates are in the  day-month-year format.  Enter the time of day.  Hit search (cerca).

The trains are listed in time order, look for the train identified as "Civitavecchia Express".  the fare should be 10 euro, if not you're probably looking at the wrong train.

If it's the one you want, follow the instructions for purchase.

• Like 1

Yes, Italians don't book train travel far in advance except to get better fares on the high speed trains.  Most of the year you'll only find trains about four months out but right now the timeframe is even smaller because of a semi-annual schedule update that will happen in early June.  Trains after this date will slowly load into the system but not as far in advance as at other times of the year.

• Like 1

Forgive me, but this will be my first time going to Rome. On Trenitalia, I see express trains (like 47 min) from Civitavecchia to Roma Termini. This is a far more desirable station for us as it is closer to the Colosseum and Forum, which will be much of our focus. So I understand: they already offered express trains to Termini station but are now adding trains to San Pietro and Ostiense? We aren’t really interested in the Vatican and Ostiense is further from our focus sites, so I expect this won’t really appeal to us. I just want to fully understand because based upon my early research, I find Italy particularly confusing as so many travel options and historical sites offer about a dozen more options than seem necessary and many of them aren’t clearly explained. 

Edited by pyrateslife4me84

23 hours ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

On Trenitalia, I see express trains (like 47 min) from Civitavecchia to Roma Termini. This is a far more desirable station for us as it is closer to the Colosseum and Forum, which will be much of our focus.

Distance can be thought about in two ways, the physical distance between two points and the time it takes you to get from one to the other.  (People who live away from big urban areas with a lot of traffic tend to think in terms of actual distance, while those who live in areas with a lot of traffic think of time.   In LA, for example, in some places it can take an hour to travel five miles during rush hour so physical distance is a nearly meaningless measure.)

It is true that Termini is marginally closer to the Colosseum than Ostiense but it's not a big difference, one and a quarter miles from Termini vs. one and a half from Ostiense.

Timewise it's also about the same if you are using public transit because each is two metro stops away, on the same metro line (but approaching from opposite sides).

The difference comes into play when you consider that you get to Ostiense before Termini, so you can be off the train and getting on the metro with the Ostiense train before the Termini one even reaches the station.

One factor in all of this is that Termini is a terminus station (trains have to reverse to get out, there are no through tracks) and it's also the busiest train station in Italy.  As a result trains have to slow down significantly for the last half mile or so before entering the station.

So, if two trains were leaving Civitavecchia at the same time and making about the same number of stops, you'd almost always get to the Colosseum faster but getting off at Ostiense vs. Termini.

However, two trains heading to Rome never leave Civitavecchia at the same time, so it comes down to which train gets you there earlier.  The first Frecce of the day from Civitavecchia is at 9:16 and it arrives to Termini at 10:03 non-stop.  The first Civitavecchia Express departs at 9:35 and arrives to Ostiense at 10:27, so you'd get to the Colosseum earlier with the Frecce to Termini.

Unless, of course, you happen to be visiting on a Sunday or holiday.  On these days the first Civitavecchia Express departs at 8:30 and arrives to Ostiense at 9:25.  The first Frecce on Sundays and holidays departs at 9:16 and arrives to Termini at 10:03, so on Sundays and holidays the Civitavecchia Express gets you there earlier.

You will pay more for the Freece train (16 euro vs. 10 euro at last minute pricing, 12,90 euro vs. 10 euro if purchased ahead, plus booking fee if applicable).

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Distance can be thought about in two ways, the physical distance between two points and the time it takes you to get from one to the other.  (People who live away from big urban areas with a lot of traffic tend to think in terms of actual distance, while those who live in areas with a lot of traffic think of time.   In LA, for example, in some places it can take an hour to travel five miles during rush hour so physical distance is a nearly meaningless measure.)

It is true that Termini is marginally closer to the Colosseum than Ostiense but it's not a big difference, one and a quarter miles from Termini vs. one and a half from Ostiense.

Timewise it's also about the same if you are using public transit because each is two metro stops away, on the same metro line (but approaching from opposite sides).

The difference comes into play when you consider that you get to Ostiense before Termini, so you can be off the train and getting on the metro with the Ostiense train before the Termini one even reaches the station.

One factor in all of this is that Termini is a terminus station (trains have to reverse to get out, there are no through tracks) and it's also the busiest train station in Italy.  As a result trains have to slow down significantly for the last half mile or so before entering the station.

So, if two trains were leaving Civitavecchia at the same time and making about the same number of stops, you'd almost always get to the Colosseum faster but getting off at Ostiense vs. Termini.

However, two trains heading to Rome never leave Civitavecchia at the same time, so it comes down to which train gets you there earlier.  The first Frecce of the day from Civitavecchia is at 9:16 and it arrives to Termini at 10:03 non-stop.  The first Civitavecchia Express departs at 9:35 and arrives to Ostiense at 10:27, so you'd get to the Colosseum earlier with the Frecce to Termini.

Unless, of course, you happen to be visiting on a Sunday or holiday.  On these days the first Civitavecchia Express departs at 8:30 and arrives to Ostiense at 9:25.  The first Frecce on Sundays and holidays departs at 9:16 and arrives to Termini at 10:03, so on Sundays and holidays the Civitavecchia Express gets you there earlier.

You will pay more for the Freece train (16 euro vs. 10 euro at last minute pricing, 12,90 euro vs. 10 euro if purchased ahead, plus booking fee if applicable).

Thank you for such a comprehensive response. It’s a huge help. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 3:28 PM, Benonie said:

Host bonjour , vous semblez parler français .... votre traduction est très bien ..., heureux de savoir qu'il y a des voyageurs parlant aussi français . 

Merci Benonie,  pour les mots gentils. Moi, j'adores les langues et la capacité de communiquer. Merci, Alliançe Française et M. Landau et, toujours La France pour l'expérience 🙂 

Thanks for this info - looks like a great option to get into Rome reliably.

I saw this link on Treniatalia's site: https://www.trenitalia.com/en/services/civitavecchia-express.html

It mentions a bus that you can also pre-book to get from port to station.

I chose a random day to see if I could find the right ticket - can someone help me with this: if I want to book the bus and express train, do I choose "CIVITAVECCHIA PORTO" as my origin? 

In which case, would this be the right option to choose?

09:20CIVITAVECCHIA PORTO
  Arrival
10:27Roma Ostiense
Duration
  1h 07'
Changes: 1 
Train
Autobus CV015

Train
Civitavecchia Expres26233

Price

from   9.50 €

CIVITAVECCHIA PORTO 
09:20  
  Civitavecchia 
09:28 
  0h 08' Autobus CV015 Close 
Civitavecchia 
09:35  
  Roma Ostiense 
10:27 
  0h 52'

Civitavecchia Expres 26233

15:37Roma Ostiense
  Arrival
16:48CIVITAVECCHIA PORTO
Duration
  1h 11'
Changes: 1 
Train
Civitavecchia Expres26230

Train
Autobus CV038

Price

from   9.50 €

Roma Ostiense 
15:37  
  Civitavecchia 
16:30 
  0h 53' Civitavecchia Expres 26230 Close 
Civitavecchia 
16:40  
  CIVITAVECCHIA PORTO 
16:48 
  0h 08'

Autobus CV038

Would that be the right thing to book?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Livingatthetip said:

Thanks for this info - looks like a great option to get into Rome reliably.

I saw this link on Treniatalia's site: https://www.trenitalia.com/en/services/civitavecchia-express.html

It mentions a bus that you can also pre-book to get from port to station.

I chose a random day to see if I could find the right ticket - can someone help me with this: if I want to book the bus and express train, do I choose "CIVITAVECCHIA PORTO" as my origin? 

In which case, would this be the right option to choose?

It looks right to me.  In the notes it says that the bus stop is at Largo Della Pace, at the CSP (Civitavecchia Servizi Pubblici) stop.

• Like 1

You can take the Trenitalia bus from the port to the station, the local bus, or you can walk (1.5 km/1 mile).

If you read the original post you'll see that this train only makes two stops, at S. Pietro and Ostiense.  The Colosseum isn't at a train station, to reach it you would get off at Ostiense and take the metro two stops to Colosseo.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 7:15 PM, Floridafrank said:

How do you book the express train tickets in advance? Does anyone know the exact departure/ arrival points? Having trouble finding on the trenitalia site. Thanks 

Me too!!!  I have spent far too much time on the site trying to figure it out!

19 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

You can take the Trenitalia bus from the port to the station, the local bus, or you can walk (1.5 km/1 mile).

If you read the original post you'll see that this train only makes two stops, at S. Pietro and Ostiense.  The Colosseum isn't at a train station, to reach it you would get off at Ostiense and take the metro two stops to Colosseo.

I did read that but i was not sure which of those two stops might be related to or near to the Colosseum.  Thank you for your help!!

To purchase in advance go to the Trenitalia site and for partenza/departure enter either Civitavecchia Porto (if you also want to use the bus from the port to the station) or Civitavecchia (if you're going to get to the station on your own), and then either Roma S. Pietro or Roma Ostiense in the arrivo/arrival area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We too purchased tickets online for ItaliaRail both to and from the port.  It was very easy and we have reserved seats.  My question now is how do we get from the port to the train station?  I see there is a free shuttle from the port to the bus stop but cannot find and information on how to get to the train station.  I am hoping we can get a cab or the shuttle will also take us to the train station.  Anyone have information on this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, judla said:

We too purchased tickets online for ItaliaRail both to and from the port.  It was very easy and we have reserved seats.  My question now is how do we get from the port to the train station?

What train did you purchase tickets for?  Only the Civitavecchia Express has the option of a bus from the port to the train station but I'm not sure if you can buy that without buying the train ticket at the same time.

There is a local bus from the port to the train station for 2 euro:  http://static.comune.civitavecchia.rm.it/uploads/2016/09/LINEA-B.pdf

It's unlikely that you'll get a taxi to take you just the one mile from the port exit to the train station.  You could also walk if you're up for it.

• Like 1