Egypt Visa

I have just returned from a tour of Egypt which included a four night Nile River cruise so I suppose this is cruise related info.

Prior to the tour I attempted to secure an online E-visa. Big mistake (for me). I found the correct government website which was a link from the TA. I started going through the steps (jumping hoops?). Trouble started when I got to the passport photo. The photo required was one of your passport, not the image of yourself as some applications require. The catch was the image size. I tried quite a few methods to get down to the size required and, after trying scanning, photo editing, cropping I managed to get it below the required size. From memory, and without going back to the website, I think think the size was 500KB. I submitted the application and paid my USD25 only to get a reply stating the image was unsatisfactory. You are then given a time limit to adjust or change then resubmit, which I did. It was at this point that I noticed I had made a typo error in the spelling of my name. Doh! After emailing the help line I was informed I could not correct my error at this stage, too late. Make a new application and pay another USD25. Arrrrggghhh.

Knowing that I could get a visa on arrival I gave up. My traveling companion also applied online, successfully, sort of. She applied through a non government site (US based I think) and paid US90.

So, if traveling to Egypt via Cairo airport get a visa there. There's a kiosk in arrivals just before immigration. Produce passport, hand over USD25 in cash and they hand you a visa to stick in your passport. All up it took about 30 seconds. Live and learn.

Edited by lyndarra
typo in title
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gwendy said:

When cruising the cruise line will take care of your visa, do not remember any charge to account.  They take your passport and return it after you have left that country.

Sometimes "yes" and sometimes "no". For instance, passengers have to get their own visa for visits to India and before China changed their requirements for a visa for short stays, we had to get one for China also. Currently, I don't think many cruise lines are visiting Egypt.

Another tip if visiting Egypt. It is a cash economy. Credit/debit card use is not universal like we have here. There are, however, plenty of ATMs about to get cash from and often have armed guards watching over them. Take Egyptian pounds or US dollars in small bills like, ones and fives. Almost all public toilets require payment to the toilet cleaner/monitor. The usual amount is 5 Egyptian pounds although some will try and hit you up for more. Cleanliness standards are variable. The best kept toilet I came across was at the catacombs in Alexandria. The gentleman there takes immense pride in keeping his establishment clean and smelling like daisies.

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2019 at 10:00 AM, Aus Traveller said:

Sometimes "yes" and sometimes "no". For instance, passengers have to get their own visa for visits to India and before China changed their requirements for a visa for short stays, we had to get one for China also. Currently, I don't think many cruise lines are visiting Egypt.

I was responding to the post re Egyptian visas.  I was there last year on CMV world cruise.  There are quite a few ships that gave Aquaba and Safaga as ports of call, to cover Valley of Kings and Petra in Jordan.

Indian visas,, need to check whether port will accept Evisa.  We did not chance it and got full visa.  Same with China.  Sri Lanka ok with evisa.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gwendy said:

I was responding to the post re Egyptian visas.  I was there last year on CMV world cruise.  There are quite a few ships that gave Aquaba and Safaga as ports of call, to cover Valley of Kings and Petra in Jordan.

Indian visas,, need to check whether port will accept Evisa.  We did not chance it and got full visa.  Same with China.  Sri Lanka ok with evisa.

India now accepts the e-visa for cruiseship visitors. 🙂 China changed their regulations probably two years ago. Now visitors who remain in the area around the entry city (Shanghai is one) for less than 144 hours do not require a visa. We have been there since this came into force.