Haiti Travel Advisory Level 4: Do Not Travel

BAreEhD

This raises a lot of questions. What would they do with medical cases? Leave you in a hospital in Haiti with the possibility your medical evacuation insurance is voided? That could affect even people who don't get off the ship but have the bad luck to get sick at the wrong time.

6 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

This raises a lot of questions. What would they do with medical cases? Leave you in a hospital in Haiti with the possibility your medical evacuation insurance is voided? That could affect even people who don't get off the ship but have the bad luck to get sick at the wrong time.

Saw a person picked up on the pier by a chopper from the DR. The were being flown to the DR and then med-jet to Miami.  They broke their femur by the pool on the ship the day prior. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

Just a few years ago Labadee had a protest by the local people with boats. RCL was unable to dock there.

Razor wire fence surround the compound. It’s not an island.  

The locals with good behavior are monitored and selected. We have experienced a bit of aggressive selling further away on an area that allows vendors to sell their wares. We enjoyed the beach and bbq. We always bring $1 to tip for chairs.

RCL works closely with government to insure safety.

$$$$$$$$ palms are greased.

8 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

It's unlikely Haiti will be a fully modernized economy and a prospering society by then, simply judging by the current rate of progress.  (Believe me, I deeply hope this statement is inaccurate!)  

Not incorrect. With few exceptions, Caribbean is an economic basket case. Many Caribbean countries lack valuable natural resources, infrastructures and are plagued with government corruption. Some former colonial powers were actually quite happy to get rid of them so they no longer have to support these once island colonies financially like an improvised distant relative.

• Thanks 1

Hi guys, 

Going on our first cruise on the 29th March and was wondering if the update on the government travel would stop us porting in Haiti. 

It suggests only essential travel, but obviously it is far away from Labadee and it is privately owned by royal. 

Sorry if this seems a silly question to anyone but we haven't been before, and was just wanting to prepare for potentially another sea day or a different port. 

Thank you 🙂

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

You will be safe. If you aren’t certain when you cruise, you can stay on the ship. 

RC, won’t risk their guests or their valuable ships. 

I know we will be safe, just wondered if Royal would change route because of this update on travel advise. 

I am hoping there won't be no change as I really want to see the island! 🙂 

6 minutes ago, FionaLouise said:

I know we will be safe, just wondered if Royal would change route because of this update on travel advise. 

I am hoping there won't be no change as I really want to see the island! 🙂 

They have only once that it was aware of for a local small boat protest.  They didn’t dock and continued to the next port. 

• Like 1

About the fifth question on this in the last couple of weeks.  But you are not going to see much of the island anyway.  Labadee is a tiny peninsula on the north coast and with the exception of a couple of local excursions you can't get out of the area.  Nor can any locals get in, except those working there.  Port au Prince is 85 miles away over very rough mountainous roads.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LeeW said:

About the fifth question on this in the last couple of weeks.  But you are not going to see much of the island anyway.  Labadee is a tiny peninsula on the north coast and with the exception of a couple of local excursions you can't get out of the area.  Nor can any locals get in, except those working there.  Port au Prince is 85 miles away over very rough mountainous roads.

Sorry I did try to look for other posts first but couldn't find anything. 

This is my first cruise so not aware of protocol when it comes to these situations so please bear with me. 

I did apologise in advance. 

5 minutes ago, FionaLouise said:

Sorry I did try to look for other posts first but couldn't find anything. 

This is my first cruise so not aware of protocol when it comes to these situations so please bear with me. 

I did apologise in advance. 

Dont be sorry. You are being proactive.  Many come to CC after their cruise to complain about a bad experience.  You being here now is a great positive, learning in advance. I wish more would do this, to enhance their vacation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Dont be sorry. You are being proactive.  Many come to CC after their cruise to complain about a bad experience.  You being here now is a great positive, learning in advance. I wish more would do this, to enhance their vacation.

Ahh thank you, appreciated, sometimes I worry about asking questions on here as I see a lot of people get shot down very quickly. 

Thanks for your comments though they are massively appreciates I just want to experience everything and ask ask ask so I can have the best cruise possible!! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, FionaLouise said:

Ahh thank you, appreciated, sometimes I worry about asking questions on here as I see a lot of people get shot down very quickly. 

Thanks for your comments though they are massively appreciates I just want to experience everything and ask ask ask so I can have the best cruise possible!! 

While its good to be prepared and knowledgeable, don’t get too obsessed and crazy about researching.  Keep some elements of surprise. You don’t want to end up like Clark Griswald (National Lampoon “Vacation” films), where you’ve planned out every waking moment, and are then disappointed when something doesn’t quite go right.

• Like 2